Vegetarian meals??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I am a vegetarian and won't eat any kind of meat(obviously) BUT I am also really picky! My parents though it was a phase and that I would get over it but I'm not... I don't eat fries, chips, Mac n cheese, potatoes, you name it! I find it extremely hard to find foods that I like with some protein and foods that are healthy for a gymnast. Not to mention pretty embarrassing going to someone's house when they are serving lunch and have to turn it down..

What type of foods do you like? I'm an adult now, but I've been a lifelong vegetarian (from around 3yo), and I'm also a picky eater, so I might be able to help.

Hummus and veggies; eggs; beans and rice; quinoa and veggies; oatmeal; etc. Broccoli and peas are packed with protein.
Try greek yogourt also. I get 1.5% plain greek yogourt, and stir in a bit of honey or maple syrup, and all the fruit I can find.
Make sure you're getting enough iron. That can be difficult on a vegetarian diet, personally I took a supplement but talk to your parents and doctor

What type of foods do you like? I'm an adult now, but I've been a lifelong vegetarian (from around 3yo), and I'm also a picky eater, so I might be able to help.
I like any kinds of fruit, peanut butter sandwiches, yogurt, toast.. Those are the main things I eat... My dad used to get me protein bars when I was younger but he stopped because I guess he though it was just a "phase"

Hummus and veggies; eggs; beans and rice; quinoa and veggies; oatmeal; etc. Broccoli and peas are packed with protein.
Try greek yogourt also. I get 1.5% plain greek yogourt, and stir in a bit of honey or maple syrup, and all the fruit I can find.
Make sure you're getting enough iron. That can be difficult on a vegetarian diet, personally I took a supplement but talk to your parents and doctor
Thanks. Yeah I eat the Greek yogurt. Which is a good source or protein and something I actually like. But yeah I don't like broccoli, peas, hummus, or eggs.. But I tried oatmeal once and it was okay so I will try that.. Thanks for the tips

My dd turned to vegetarianism at your age, she was only allowed to do it if she could prove to us that she was meeting her nutritional needs. I would suggest searching balanced diets.
Yeah.. My doctor once said when I was younger that my parents had to force food in my mouth.. But they tried but I didn't let them Anyways I don't have a balanced diet at all.. I basically eat waffles and peanut butter sandwiches.. But I will try to get kore balance in my meals. Thanks

Yeah.. My doctor once said when I was younger that my parents had to force food in my mouth.. But they tried but I didn't let them Anyways I don't have a balanced diet at all.. I basically eat waffles and peanut butter sandwiches.. But I will try to get kore balance in my meals. Thanks

Now it is not your parents job to force food in you, it is yours. Learning to try new things without writing them off is definitely a must. I was a very picky child, I still have food issues and have not eaten red meat for many years. Look at this food pyramid to help you, lots of handy hints in there. My other advice that I give to my kids when they shop is to only buy foods that look like food. Avoid prepackaged and cook. Buy a good vegetarian cook book and start experimenting.

http://www.vegetariannutrition.org/food-pyramid.pdf

Also learn to snack smart, fresh veggies, nuts, cheese. Simple foods, nothing weird at all. Nothing wrong with a peanut butter sandwich at all, but buy good peanut butter that has nothing but peanuts in it, most commercial brands are full of added sugars. Use a wholegrain bread for the sandwich, avoid white breads that add no nutrition. Waffles can be great, make them with wholewheat flour instead of white.

Oatmeal is an awesome way to start the day, maybe eat a banana and a handful of nuts at the same meal.

Iron is a huge challenge for many teen vegetarians. For that you really need to look at iron rich foods and decide which ones you can stand to eat.

Vegetarianism is only as healthy as the foods you eat.

Now it is not your parents job to force food in you, it is yours. Learning to try new things without writing them off is definitely a must. I was a very picky child, I still have food issues and have not eaten red meat for many years. Look at this food pyramid to help you, lots of handy hints in there. My other advice that I give to my kids when they shop is to only buy foods that look like food. Avoid prepackaged and cook. Buy a good vegetarian cook book and start experimenting.

http://www.vegetariannutrition.org/food-pyramid.pdf

Also learn to snack smart, fresh veggies, nuts, cheese. Simple foods, nothing weird at all. Nothing wrong with a peanut butter sandwich at all, but buy good peanut butter that has nothing but peanuts in it, most commercial brands are full of added sugars. Use a wholegrain bread for the sandwich, avoid white breads that add no nutrition. Waffles can be great, make them with wholewheat flour instead of white.

Oatmeal is an awesome way to start the day, maybe eat a banana and a handful of nuts at the same meal.

Iron is a huge challenge for many teen vegetarians. For that you really need to look at iron rich foods and decide which ones you can stand to eat.

Vegetarianism is only as healthy as the foods you eat.
Thanks for tips I am going to try foods that look NORMAL. Because I never tried cheese before and it's good in protein so I will try it thanks again

I turned vegetarian at 20 (23 years ago) and I was really picky before, like you. What happened was, I was basically forced to try a lot of new foods, and over time, my palate broadened a lot. Indian restaurants have tons of vegetarian choices. I had never eaten Indian food before, now it is my absolute favorite (when I can afford it!). Tofu looks yucky, but if you know how to cook it right can be delicious, and is high in protein. Do you know any vegetarian friends or adults that could give you some tips? It will be really hard to continue doing this if all you do is eliminate stuff- you need to constantly be adding new foods you like so it doesn't feel so limiting.

I turned vegetarian at 20 (23 years ago) and I was really picky before, like you. What happened was, I was basically forced to try a lot of new foods, and over time, my palate broadened a lot. Indian restaurants have tons of vegetarian choices. I had never eaten Indian food before, now it is my absolute favorite (when I can afford it!). Tofu looks yucky, but if you know how to cook it right can be delicious, and is high in protein. Do you know any vegetarian friends or adults that could give you some tips? It will be really hard to continue doing this if all you do is eliminate stuff- you need to constantly be adding new foods you like so it doesn't feel so limiting.
No.. None of my friends or people I know are vegetarians sadly. But I will try to try new things

Sounds like you should educate yourself a bit on nutrition. You need to understand what your body needs and how to get it. Then, make a choice to find foods to meet those needs. Don't write off foods just because you've tried them before. Try them again, prepare them in different ways. (ie veggies, raw, steamed, baked etc.)

Salad, with a variety of veggeis and topped with beans and/or nuts are a great way to get a lot of nutrients. Smoothies can be good too, depending on what you put in them.

Pasta can be made a lot ways with a variety of vegetables added in.

Another good, easy veterinarian food: bean burritos. You can use refried or whole beans, with salsa a little cheese and possibly other veggies, roll up in a flour tortilla. Very filling and packed with protein.

Sounds like you should educate yourself a bit on nutrition. You need to understand what your body needs and how to get it. Then, make a choice to find foods to meet those needs. Don't write off foods just because you've tried them before. Try them again, prepare them in different ways. (ie veggies, raw, steamed, baked etc.)

Salad, with a variety of veggeis and topped with beans and/or nuts are a great way to get a lot of nutrients. Smoothies can be good too, depending on what you put in them.

Pasta can be made a lot ways with a variety of vegetables added in.
Yup thanks. I actually never try food because I think they are going to be gross but I gotta get over that. Yes I love smoothies I have that before practice

Yup thanks. I actually never try food because I think they are going to be gross but I gotta get over that. Yes I love smoothies I have that before practice
Sounds like you need to change your attitude about food. Most food is so good, and often it takes more than one try at something for a person to like it.

What is that you think will be 'gross'?
Maybe thinking about what things do and don't appeal to you about foods - texture (hard, soft, mushy, hard to chew etc), taste (hot, cold, spicy, sweet. Sour, bitter, citrusy, nutty) etc etc. you could then come up with some foods you are willing to try. And move from there into retraining your brain that most foods are actually nice and you can start a journey to a healthy diet and relationship with food.

Reactions: sce
What is that you think will be 'gross'?
Maybe thinking about what things do and don't appeal to you about foods - texture (hard, soft, mushy, hard to chew etc), taste (hot, cold, spicy, sweet. Sour, bitter, citrusy, nutty) etc etc. you could then come up with some foods you are willing to try. And move from there into retraining your brain that most foods are actually nice and you can start a journey to a healthy diet and relationship with food.
Yeah.. That will be a struggle. I usually take one glance at the food and turn it down but I'm old enough to toughen up

Take a vitamin supplement and a slow release iron tablet.

Veggies can take up to 15 trys to develop a taste for them..

You may also find you like different things if they are prepared differently. For example, my daughter would rather a cooked carrot, then a raw one.

Veggies in soups or stir fried with bread crumbs.

Brown rice and beans.

You may like egg whites cold vs the whole egg.

And many cheese to try not all taste the same. And they too taste different depending on prep. I am not a fan of provolone or parmesean cold and by itself, melt the provolone, put the parmesean into an alfredo sauce its yummy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back