WAG Very confused about how level placement works?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At your dd's age, I wouldn't worry about competition level. It sounds like they may be teaching her skills 1 or 2 levels above the "team" assignment. That is what I would ask about...what is she learning? Until she makes an independent "commitment" to the sport for the love of the sport alone...the specific coach she has today will matter a lot more than the quality or culture of the gym as a whole. If you like her coach, and they teach correct form (which it sounds like they do since they place well).. there is probably no reason to change right away. I think Wallflower nailed it in her post.

I'm going to go in the other direction here, as I usually do on this particular topic. I say if your daughter is showing some level of talent and love for the sport and JO level team gymnastics is the goal, then I say start her out with the long term in mind. I'm correct in remembering you saying that this gym does not have optional gymnasts right? If that is the case then how quickly the kids move through the compulsory levels is of no concern to them, but that doesn't mean that is what is best for your daughter.

Now, that doesn't mean that you need to run out to the closest super elite 30 hour a week for 8 year olds gym, but a gym with a solid program, good foundation work and the opportunity for high level gymnastics (meaning 8,9,10) I would say is a must if this is the road your daughter wants to go down. Just realize as a parent what a commitment to that path means, not only for your daughter but the rest of your family as well. If you aren't ready to make it then stay where you are.

As for her age, yes she is young and there is certainly no reason to rush the process, but she is not still in preschool and at most gyms I know of at six she should be moving toward competing new level 3/4 in the next year or two.

It really comes down to what your daughter wants from gymnastics and what options you have available to you. You need to find the right fit for you kid right now, but with an eye on where that might lead. Just my two cents.

Good luck with your decision :)

Yes, JoyAvenueMom, I think they view form as extremely important bc they spend forever perfecting even the most basic skills with these kids. So, I'm not worried about that at all. I've asked around a bit more, and a few elite level gymnasts over the years have started as small children at our gym, but then moved on when they reached what I guess must be optional levels. Maybe this is a good sign that they do lay a good foundation.

Thefellowsmom, they do not appear to compete optionals. At what age does it become necessary to make a change for the long haul if they are really serious about this? Kids don't really develop the type of reasoning/understanding to completely understand what they are getting into until older, so it would ultimately be the parent making the leap. We obviously need to see how she even does this year, but I see what you mean about needing to be ready to compete 3/4 in the next year or so.

This is such a confusing sport. Thanks for the advice! It's very helpful

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back