Very tall, very new adult gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I

itstallgirl

Hello! I found out about CB by word of mouth so to speak and decided to check it out. I've been a HUGE gymnastics fan since I can remember. It was my older cousin through marriage who had the short genes and was a L 10 gymmie and cartwheeled and handspringed around me showing off that spurred my interest as well as in late elementary school when I was glued to the '96 Olympics. That only picked up when I went to university and got put in a dorm next to a very successful gymnast a lot of people have heard about, and as a fellow athlete and friend went to the college meets to cheer her on and began following the USAG National Team coverage and meets. Now I'm hooked. My professional skiier fiance has no clue why I'm constantly reading about gymnastics online!

The catch is I'm 6' 3". Yep a 140 lbs 6' 3" female who just graduated from college. I've done every sport under the sun, swimming, men's ice hockey -one of my favourites-, ski racing -I currently teach skiing- tennis, soccer, basketball, volleyball, field hockey... you name it. I found my niche in track and field. In the long, high and triple jump I went on to compete nationally through USATF -their junior national equivalent team- in club during high school and went on to compete for two DI colleges. Unfortunately that was not as successfully as I'd like it to be because of injuries involving multiple foot surgeries and a spinal cord surgery. I've mended from those surgeries and really am wanting to pursue something new.

The one sport I never did is gymnastics as much as I love the sport. I mention my athletic past because when I was a cheerleader (I made a great back spot with my height, our high school wasn't too good, i fibbed saying my back bend was a back walkover in progress and ended up quitting in two months when my mom made me choose cheerleading or ice hockey) I saw many girls with no athletic background trying to learn handsprings and walkovers and the like. It was painful. But in spite of being relatively strong and athletic and active I still cannot do a cartwheel. Or a handstand. My 40 inch inseam and long lanky arms, no matter how many push ups I do, never helped. I had to do millions of back bends for high jump but unlike the other mostly dancer girls I had to do them from the ground, I couldn't lean back into them.

The good news is I've found two gyms with adult gymnastics classes offered in my area!!! I'm not expecting to compete like my friend but I'd love to learn to do some basic tumbling, strengthen my body even more and in new different ways and really just get out there, challenge myself and have fun! I'm just starting the classes in the upcoming weeks and am excited to meet some other adults involved in gymnastics as well.

Great to hear that gymnastics has claimed yet another, it is a great sport and I am sure you will be great.

*side note* WOAH YOU ARE TALL!!! you are a whole foot taller than me!

Welcome to CB!

Lol Thanks! I've heard nothing but good things about this website so I'm excited. Not quite as excited as starting my adult classes though. I had given up finding ones that weren't open gym for girls/women my age (college/immediate post college) who were gymnasts and knew how to do everything! I was like crap... I need help learning a cartwheel! Then I found not one but two real classes with coaches for adults including beginners. I just want to do a real cartwheel so bad, I know that sounds so silly after reading all the awesome things girls are doing here and watching high school, JO, college and high level gym. Oh well!

And yeah I am tall. So tall that in grade 11 our stats teacher was doing Z and T scores (that are random distribution). The example had data for women's heights world wide. Of course the class started chanting use ____ (my name) as an example. So they did and found out I'm taller than 99.999999% or something of all women. My Z score is 4, it's nuts. I also lived with a girl who was 4' 11" for 2 1/2 years she put everything on the bottom cupboards and I used to top. The worst thing was when I was 12 or 13 some guys I played hockey with were following me around a local grocery store chanting "Hey tall girl how's the weather up there." I finally stopped, spit on their heads and said "It's raining." In a similar situation a group of young boys chased me up the street with hockey sticks because I wouldn't tell them how tall I was. I was a freshman in college and had to sprint to my car to get away.

Needless to say I'm very, very tall with very, very long legs. I just laugh and laugh when people call Nastia tall. Or Sletvana that Russian gymnast. Guess it's all relative!

hahaha and i thought i had long legs. im only 5'6!
Anyways welcome to the CB!!!! I think you will find this site very helpful. Good Luck on your new gymnastics adventure.:D

hahaha and i thought i had long legs. im only 5'6!
Anyways welcome to the CB!!!! I think you will find this site very helpful. Good Luck on your new gymnastics adventure.:D

People say that to me all the time. "I thought I was tall... then I met you!" I have to shop at a special store called Tall Girl for pants. It's pretty funny. Thanks for the welcome!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back