Virtual Meets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yoda

Proud Parent
Curious how virtual meets work and if anyone has had success with them.

I assume spectators and judges watch from home. How do judges score accurately and precisely? Are gyms required to use multiple high definition camcorders? Are scores given on the spot?
Obviously not ideal, but a great idea to keep gymnasts interested this season.

We had a virtual inner squad meet. Judges were there in person and they had cameras on a stand with wheels and they moved it from event to event. It was streaming via Zoom and parents could long into a portal to view either from in their cars in the parking lot or from home.
They divided groups up and had cameras at each event, and one camera followed that specific team. We are set for a sanctioned virtual meet this weekend. It will be interesting to see how the meet host does it.

Our gym will be hosting a sanctioned virtual meet next weekend. Each gym will compete from their own gym. Each gym must have a Webcam via a Laptop, iPad or GoPro. The judges will also be remote. There will be a separate break out room in the Zoom for each event. That will be managed by the team hosting the meet. No spectators will be allowed in that zoom. Just the gyms and the judges.

For spectators, each club will need to provide a separate remote or onsite viewing option. Meaning that some gyms could choose to allow spectators if appropriate per local COVID protocals and space. I know that our gym will have a seperate iPad filming the gymnasts and then parents will have a link for viewing that.

Will be interesting!

Our gym tested out a virtual meet platform called FlyP10 and my gymnasts ‘competed’ in the test run.
Parents and coaches download an app and make an account. Once you have the account for your gymnast, you add ‘teammates’ (your gymnast’s coaches and teammates) using a special code.
This keeps the videos that are uploaded from being accessible to just anyone. Only your teammates ( and judges during the event) have access to your gymnasts routines. During the meet/event, routines are videoed in your home gym, and uploaded by the coaches that your gymnast added as teammates with their user name. Judges review and score routines remotely.
Watching from home, as a parent, I was able to see the routines (logged in my gymnasts account) before they were scored and then after with the score.
There was a running scoreboard of sorts keeping track of placement throughout the event showing my gymnasts placement in each event and overall.

Our gym tested out a virtual meet platform called FlyP10 and my gymnasts ‘competed’ in the test run.
Parents and coaches download an app and make an account. Once you have the account for your gymnast, you add ‘teammates’ (your gymnast’s coaches and teammates) using a special code.
This keeps the videos that are uploaded from being accessible to just anyone. Only your teammates ( and judges during the event) have access to your gymnasts routines. During the meet/event, routines are videoed in your home gym, and uploaded by the coaches that your gymnast added as teammates with their user name. Judges review and score routines remotely.
Watching from home, as a parent, I was able to see the routines (logged in my gymnasts account) before they were scored and then after with the score.
There was a running scoreboard of sorts keeping track of placement throughout the event showing my gymnasts placement in each event and overall.
Adding that this app/platform can be used for sanctioned USAG meets-

UPDATE: So we had our first virtual meet this weekend! Anyone else have one? From the gymnasts perspective (which is what really matters of course), it went very well. Everything ran really smooth . . . much lower stress as they were the only ones in our gym . . . but still had a competition experience. From the parent's perspective it was pretty bad. While the judges were viewing on a direct stream from a camera (ipad) set up with good angles, the parents were using Spot TV that our gym set up when we returned from the COVID break (since parents can no longer come in to observe practices). I'm not sure if the issue was that there were too many parents on at once, or our gym's wifi isn't good enough, or there was an issue at Spot TV. But, screens were frozen for half the meet and when it was working, it was tough to find your own child (since they all have the same leo and hair pulled up) and the picture was VERY pixelated.

I believe they had girls that weren't competing record all of the routines (as a back up in case something happened with the stream to the judges). So maybe we'll be able to get those so we can really watch/see what our daughters have been working on the last several months.

All in all, a mixed bag - frustrating for the parents but the gymnasts were able to get in a good competition experience (which when I'm not being admittedly selfish, I know is what is truly important.) :)

UPDATE: So we had our first virtual meet this weekend! Anyone else have one? From the gymnasts perspective (which is what really matters of course), it went very well. Everything ran really smooth . . . much lower stress as they were the only ones in our gym . . . but still had a competition experience. From the parent's perspective it was pretty bad. While the judges were viewing on a direct stream from a camera (ipad) set up with good angles, the parents were using Spot TV that our gym set up when we returned from the COVID break (since parents can no longer come in to observe practices). I'm not sure if the issue was that there were too many parents on at once, or our gym's wifi isn't good enough, or there was an issue at Spot TV. But, screens were frozen for half the meet and when it was working, it was tough to find your own child (since they all have the same leo and hair pulled up) and the picture was VERY pixelated.

I believe they had girls that weren't competing record all of the routines (as a back up in case something happened with the stream to the judges). So maybe we'll be able to get those so we can really watch/see what our daughters have been working on the last several months.

All in all, a mixed bag - frustrating for the parents but the gymnasts were able to get in a good competition experience (which when I'm not being admittedly selfish, I know is what is truly important.) :)
How do they do the scores? We have a virtual meet this weekend. The judges will not be in house--somehow they will either receive the routines streamed or I guess get a video?? Wouldn't that stink though to send videos? They could rewind it and take off even more deductions! Ha! It will be interesting to see how this works.

How do they do the scores? We have a virtual meet this weekend. The judges will not be in house--somehow they will either receive the routines streamed or I guess get a video?? Wouldn't that stink though to send videos? They could rewind it and take off even more deductions! Ha! It will be interesting to see how this works.
The judges enter scores into the system just as they would in a regular meet. Scores were then pushed out to myusagym and meetscoresonline. So, parents were able to see scores real time (once they worked through some kinks . . . so I guess somewhere into the 2nd or 3rd rotation). As for if the scores seemed "normal", that's hard for me to say. My daughter is a 1st year level 9 and as I've learned through this board - that's a whole a new thing! So I'm not sure what to expect and what is normal/good/bad for my daughter yet. Regardless, the "relative" scoring seemed appropriate and fair. So, that was good!

My daughter has a virtual T&T meet next month. I'm excited she gets to compete and to see how this works out! I love that this could be a thing. Virtual meets could have so many uses even after this pandemic.

I'm definitely sure there will be a bunch of kinks to work out. But technology is so exciting!

Hey there! Yes, the Spot TV viewing was so terrible. We were basically watching a tiny little pixel the whole time. But one thing I learned was that the app is much better than the website, so next time, try using the app. The picture wasn't any better, but it wouldn't freeze, so instead of having a frozen pixel to watch, you'd at least be watching a moving pixel.

How did the 2nd meet go? Was that any better, viewing-wise?

How rude would it be if I asked the coaches about getting a better viewing experience for the parents? I mean, just 4 ipads/iphones streaming each apparatus would be AMAZING.

Hey there! Yes, the Spot TV viewing was so terrible. We were basically watching a tiny little pixel the whole time. But one thing I learned was that the app is much better than the website, so next time, try using the app. The picture wasn't any better, but it wouldn't freeze, so instead of having a frozen pixel to watch, you'd at least be watching a moving pixel.

How did the 2nd meet go? Was that any better, viewing-wise?

How rude would it be if I asked the coaches about getting a better viewing experience for the parents? I mean, just 4 ipads/iphones streaming each apparatus would be AMAZING.
2nd meet was MUCH better. Apparently, when we host a meet, the gym only has enough devices to stream to the judges and then to manage the scores (getting them posted to meetscoresonline and myusagym). But, when ANOTHER team is hosting the meet and dealing with scores, they have sufficient devices to stream to the judges and to stream on zoom for parents. It was SO MUCH better.

2nd meet was MUCH better. Apparently, when we host a meet, the gym only has enough devices to stream to the judges and then to manage the scores (getting them posted to meetscoresonline and myusagym). But, when ANOTHER team is hosting the meet and dealing with scores, they have sufficient devices to stream to the judges and to stream on zoom for parents. It was SO MUCH better.
Yay! That’s great to hear. Can’t we volunteer to lend them our devices for the afternoon for the home meets then??

Hello! We've had that experience, we've had meetings and even training sessions. So, we had challenges, we trained together. But still, it's no substitute for live practice.

Our gym will be hosting a sanctioned virtual meet next weekend. Each gym will compete from their own gym. Each gym must have a Webcam via a Laptop, iPad or GoPro. The judges will also be remote. There will be a separate break out room in the Zoom for each event. That will be managed by the team hosting the meet. No spectators will be allowed in that zoom. Just the gyms and the judges.

For spectators, each club will need to provide a separate remote or onsite viewing option. Meaning that some gyms could choose to allow spectators if appropriate per local COVID protocals and space. I know that our gym will have a seperate iPad filming the gymnasts and then parents will have a link for viewing that.

Will be interesting!
here some club has forbidden use zoom because discovered that all the video is recorded in zoom servers and can anybody from zoom staff check it and logically privacy is more important .here also is no spectator allowed and is interesting the online championships but since a weeks ago i seen a international championship an rg club from Canada was the organizer and what i seen is unfair because when the 90% of the gymnast was competing from house (the space is not the ideal) the organizer club girls was doing their routines in the gym .was like unfair because i think competititon must on equal conditions and not the 90% competing in house with a reduced space and can't do their routine in a correct way and the organizer club as normally and with the advantage of have plenty of space for do the elements on every routine . logically the organizer club won.

is a good way to keep to motivation and is interesting during this uncertain time

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back