Visa Championships 2012 LIVE

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Woop! Just 0.2 separate top 2 - Wieber takes AA title 121.9 with Gabby in 2nd 121.7. Raisman 3rd 120.95

McKayla Maroney had a concussion and a fractured nose, but no brain damage. She will go to trials. Anyone know how she fractured her nose when she landed on her back???

Wieber, Douglas, Raisman, Ross, Price, Finnegan, Baker, Vega, Dowell, Sloan, Sacramone, Li, Liukin, Bross, Maroney all advancing to trials.

Gabby had such a great comeback!! It kind of reminded me of 1996 when Shannon won after falling.

McKayla didn't seem to hit her face when she fell (the video is on youtube already) . I can't tell how she would have hurt her nose.

Ugh, that fall was brutal. She should be fine in three weeks to claim her spot on the team. My team:

Weiber, Douglas, Raisman, Maroney, Ross, alt - Finnegan

BTW - I really, really hate Kyla's floor routine.

What are everyone's feelings about Nastia advancing to trials? Especially with the whole Chellsie situation only a few weeks ago. I understand Nastia could be valuable and is capable of pulling through, but she certainly didn't this weekend and her bars was kind of ridiculous. A layout flyaway should not be competed at senior elite nationals, and if she only put a routine together a week ago, she shouldn't have been competing it. Just my opinion. I feel like if it were anyone else, they would not have been put through to Trials.

Edit- congrats to Jordyn, Gabby, Aly, and Kyla, and I hope Mckayla gets better soon!

I think it's total BS. Rules are rules and if Chellsie didn't make it, neither should Nastia. I can't fathom that 3 weeks will make that much of a difference in her disastrous bar set. I just can't see her making the cut. It's nice that Marta wanted to honor her by including her, but she should have done the same for Chellsie, who I think is in better shape than Nastia.

What are everyone's feelings about Nastia advancing to trials? Especially with the whole Chellsie situation only a few weeks ago. I understand Nastia could be valuable and is capable of pulling through, but she certainly didn't this weekend and her bars was kind of ridiculous. A layout flyaway should not be competed at senior elite nationals, and if she only put a routine together a week ago, she shouldn't have been competing it. Just my opinion. I feel like if it were anyone else, they would not have been put through to Trials.

Edit- congrats to Jordyn, Gabby, Aly, and Kyla, and I hope Mckayla gets better soon!

Nastia definitely should not be going to trials. The US needs bars, which she obviously can't deliver on. Just a side note: Mackenzie Brannan, who was not put through to trials, got a 56.05. Nastia got a 56. Obviously, Brannan would not be part of the team, but really? Nastia got a lower score than her, and she's still going? Of course, it's just because she's "queen Nastia" (read that on a gymnastics blog-can't remember which one exactly). I hate that the committee obviously favors her.

I wonder if Li, Bross, and Liukin was a package deal. They wanted to bring Bross....so Liukin and Li needed to be brought to? Actually, I am kind of hoping that is the case.

Bross and Li could do something for team USA because of bars. I am sorry, but there is no need for Nastia at this point. The team is strong on Beam, which apparantly is her only event right now!

I really don't agree with Nastia going to trials. I don't think 3 weeks will make such a big difference. I thought at least her bars routine would still be good but yikes! I've never seen her make so many mistakes. I know she is capable of great routines but she is nowhere near that at the moment.

Wow, I'm really saddened by all the hating on Nastia. Her chance of making the team looks pretty remote at this point, but given all the talk about how they should have invited Chellsie out respect you'd think it would go both ways. My favorites are Douglas and Raisman, but Nastia has done a lot for the sport and deserves a little respect herself.

I am not a Nastia hater. I have always enjoyed her gymnastics but I am rather confused. She says in her interview that she had been out for 3 years and just threw this bar routine together in a week. She did the routine poorly on both days of the competition which is not anything like her. So how long has she actually been practicing for her "comeback" It seems like slacking off to through a routine together and try and bang it out at such an important competition. My coach said she is coming off as a bad example to all the little girls who want to chase the dream but are kind of lazy because she did what she did and made it to trials, and I tend to agree.

Nastia is being given the benefit of the doubt because she's the reigning Olympic champion, but I think she's killed her chances of a comeback with her total breakdown on bars at Nationals. Even if she kills it at trials, I don't see how they can choose her when she's throwing layout flyaways in a major competition less than 2 months before the Games. She clearly left her comeback too late and is trying to do too much at once.

Sure they should have given Chellsie the same benefit of the doubt they're giving Nastia. Is it favoritism? Probably. Unfortunately elite gymnastics isn't always fair. :rolleyes:

Ugh, that fall was brutal. She should be fine in three weeks to claim her spot on the team. My team:

Weiber, Douglas, Raisman, Maroney, Ross, alt - Finnegan

BTW - I really, really hate Kyla's floor routine.

That's my dream team too! I like Kyla's floor! Esp her music!

I don't like the music or the choreography. Well, I should say I don't mind the choreography, but it doesn't seem to work with the "music", which like LiveLoveTumble said sounds like somebody screaming the whole time. I prefer no vocals at all in floor music. I don't know why they made that change.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back