WAG VISA Championships Women's Day 2

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm watching it live, but missed bars, what happened?

Also, since it's live and on webcast, when it goes onto break, you still can hear the commentators. Has anyone listened to what they say?!!?! From talking about food... to telling people to shut up angrily... hahaha it's quite entertaining

I was actually really pleased that Bridget won. I love her! I love Ivana too so it was nice she got second.

Yes, Bridget was my favorite and i am glad she won :) I love how after the olympics she just kept on training because it is what she loves to do. I like Ivana and Rebecca as well, so i really feel bad for Becca :(. Sam was amazing on beam, as was Bridget on floor and Becca and Ivana on vault!!

Thank goodness for DVR~! I was able to watch it last night.

I thought Bridget looked fantastic. Her second release on bars was absolutely amazing. She is such a graceful champion.

Rebecca scared me a couple times, Bars and her beam dismount!

I really do not like the new 'stuck tumbling' rule. So now the girls purposely land with their feet slightly apart like beam landings - if that makes sense. I think it looks funny!

We were there live, & in person!!! Lucky us! This is our 2nd VISA's, the first one we went to was 2 yrs ago in San Jose, Ca.

I have to say that the energy was a bit more palpable at this one, being one yr post olympics & all that entails. The crowd energy was good, but also the gymnasts had a certain 'edge' to them that I cannot quite explain, but you could feel it.

Great to see some newcomers blast onto the scene. And I'm not just talking Rebecca Bross. We saw her win 2 yrs ago at Jr Nat'ls, so she's been 'out there' a while. But this Kytra Hunter, I'd never seen. She was very 'clean' in her routines. Also Ivana Hong seemed very relaxed, & it seemed she breezed through to her 2nd place finish with ease. Of course Bridget looked great, she was full of determined looks all the way thru! And Nastia was such a cute 'mother hen' to the youngers and a great cheerleader for all the old-timers. She has really taken it upon herself to lead these girls w/ class, and I am proud of her for that. It seemed that for her, it wasn't just 'all about her', working on coming back full-time& getting ready for worlds. She was very much into all the other gymnasts and being there for every one of them. Kudos to her. Mature, classy gal.

Shawn was absent durng all the 'Fan Fest' stuff beforehand, (there were many other gymnast appearances & interviews outside the arena all afternoon) and I was wondering if she was even going to show her face there at all. So I'm glad she showed up, but she kept a pretty low profile.

And of course, being a former gym-mate of Jana's, my dd (& I) were very happy to see her put in four solid routines. I know she's not a Nastia or Ivana, but she still is a very skilled elite gymnast, and it seemed like she has shaped-up & tightened up her routines quite a bit. We went over to the front row railing after the meet & got her & her Mom's attention, & they were very nice to come over & say hi & chat w/ dd & me, asked how dd was doing, thanked us for coming out to support her. Andrea then gave Jana's flowers to dd, which I thought was a very sweet gesture. Jana does not get a lot of the attention & fuss like all the other Sr.'s, so I have to hand it to her for hangin in there amidst all their hype, and working hard to reach her goals. She really wants to make a good showing at world's.

That is all, must go. But, thought you'd like a little, personal synposis, for what it's worth! :)

I am watching it now it is archived at Media - Universal Sports

Poor Rebecca, that was just heartbreaking. I was very happy to see Ivana doing so well, the move to WOGA seems to have been a great thing. WOGA is the place to be it seems, rumour has it there are other Elites who are thinking about making the move!

It's funny for me right now...I wanted to talk about the meet with my new friends. Problem-it seems no one on this entire campus has a clue about gymnastics! I just moved in yesterday, so there is still hope. My boyfriend knows a little but that's about it. He knows Nastia, and knows a little of Bridget. I had to tell him about Rebecca Bross last night.

She missed her hands on her release from high bar to low bar and smashed her ribs into the low bar.

Oh my goodness, poor girl!!!!! I saw a video of it, and I felt HORRIBLE for her. I give her so much props for still being able to get back up, and pull off the rest of her routine, and the rest of the competition. That must have hurt so bad :(

Our team went as a group and it was amazing. Too bad about Rebecca Bross. She made a great comeback and it was great to see that. She came out to the "fan fest" after the event and she was so gracious.
We had been told by some of the event staff that there was going to be an autograph session at the fan fest afterwards. All their heroes (the US mens and womens team members) went on stage gave a little speech and vanished. We ended up getting autographs from one of the WOGA gymnasts. The girls were a bit disappointed.

i wached it with my frends from gym and wen rebecca bross hit her ribs it look like it HURT really bad!! but im glad bridget tho!!

Our team went as a group and it was amazing. Too bad about Rebecca Bross. She made a great comeback and it was great to see that. She came out to the "fan fest" after the event and she was so gracious.
We had been told by some of the event staff that there was going to be an autograph session at the fan fest afterwards. All their heroes (the US mens and womens team members) went on stage gave a little speech and vanished. We ended up getting autographs from one of the WOGA gymnasts. The girls were a bit disappointed.

You had to go to the Fanfest on Saturday in the afternoon, between the Jrs. competition and the Srs. competition to get good autographs. We got almost all of the men's team (Sascha left early before we got up in line). Alicia and Jordyn Wieber were also there at the table signing and we got theirs.

We got a lot of autographs, actually. On Day 1 of women's competition, btwn the jrs. and srs. competition, we went out to the Fanfest area and ran into Terin Humphrey and Jordyn doing some promo thing, so we got Terin's autograph (and we told her how much we loved her beam move). Jordyn signed a few but then left so we missed her--we were glad to get her on Saturday.

Then, Mattie Larsen and Corrie Lothrop sat a few rows behind us on Day 2 of the Men's Sr. competition, so of course we got theirs. Mattie and her mom sat in front of us for Day 2 of the women's competition, and Chelsea Davis and Kennedy Baker came in and sat next to them so we got autographs of them. I chatted a little with Mattie's mom, who is really pleasant and sweet.

The MC guy John Macready ended up doing some segment near our section so we got his too. I believe he was on the 1996 Olympic team, right? (I wasn't watching men's much back then, sorry!)

We ran into Briley Cassanova on our way out and got hers, after Day 2 of women's. She was really sweet and gave us her little card. Grace MacLaughlin came in at one point near our seats as well, but she left before we could make our way over to her.

My dd, needless to say, was thrilled. I would say it was worth it--we got the all sessions tickets and went to all 7 sessions. I am only sad that we knew so few of the Jr. men, because after their competition that first day, a lot of them ate at the Chili's where we ate. We just had no idea who was whom and were too embarrassed to ask.

At any rate, it will be really hard for me to go back to watching gymnastics on TV now! I loved being able to watch everyone--including the "unknowns" and the "up-and-comings" who are not usually featured on TV. And I really really loved not having to listen to Tim and Elfie!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back