Parents vitamins anyone?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

chalkgirl

Does any of your gymanst take any vitamins at all? I'm hearing some take calcium. I feel like they need some supplement, but not sure what's suitable. Any thoughts?

My daughter takes about 2000 IU of D3 (52 ish pounds), and cal/mag. I mean to add a multivitamin. I'm trying to get her to do the vitamin C, but I need to get a coated one so she's willing to swallow it. The regular one tastes ... like vitamin C until you wash it down.

Supplements

My daughter (age 13) was told by her doctor that because she trains so many hours a week (20) that she needs extra calcium to preserve her bone density to prevent stress fractures. She has been on 1300 mg of calcium, vitamin C, and a children’s multivitamin (multivitamins help with calcium absorbsion) for the last 2 years and it really helped with her stress fractures. She has had none for the last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!
Now, my dd is 14 and can't swallow any pill at all. What kind of calcium and/or multi are you giving your daughter? Yes, we've had stress fractures too.

Vitamins

The ones I give her are just generic calcium tablets, but you can get the Viactive chewables that taste pretty good. They need to be taken with a multi vitamin because that helps with absorption. Check with your doctor if you have any questions about dosage because weight and age are a factor. Just make sure they know your daughter is a gymnast.

My DD takes a multi vitamin with extra calcium but not because she does gymnastics but because she won't drink milk at all and the only dairy she will consume is cheese (which binds her if you know what I mean), ice cream and gogurt. So she needs it to get the calcium she needs.

For myself, I take B-complex, a lot of VitaminD besides daily sun exposure that tends to be shirts/shorts, calcium-magnesium-zinc, and fish oil. I try to get a lot of my vitamins and minerals through fruits and veggies thus meat will supply b12 and iron. I

I do the fish oil/Omega3's because of mainly the ability to aid recovery in minimizing inflammation, especially since I can't afford grassfed/organic meat and produce. That and I don't like especially liked cooked fish preferring ceviche and sashimi which are quite expensive not that shrimp is cheap either. Omega3's are very important for brain development in youths however besides the other heart health. While we can get Omega-3s from meats and eggs, it is a reduced amount compared to grassfed though I haven't been able to find exact numbers of Omega3's in non grassfed animals. It's gotta be some to some degree.

Perhaps if your child has an aversion to pill swallowing because of gag-reflex you can use a liquid form (which tends to be more costly). Too much in any dosage in some vitamins means you can't absorb it all at once and it becomes "expensive pee". Bigger dosages are cost effective but to a moot point if you are excreting it.

Bean is a Thalassemia carrier, and anemic as a result. She takes iron supplements every morning. The iron won't increase her hemoglobin (it's at 80-90, normal is 120-160) but it will keep the hemoglobin she has stronger.

She also takes calcium supplements before bed. She's also not a fan of milk, lol!

Does she dig yogurt? I can't remember if yogurt has a significant amount of calcium but I want to think it does.

Vitamins

Right now I take a regular multivitamin and I take Iron supplements because I am anemic. I also add protien powder to alot of my food. (cereal, smoothies etc.) I am almost out of my regular multivitamin so I think the next one I buy will be plus calcium.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back