Vitamins/Supplements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We were having a casual conversation at the office about vitamins/supplements. I have a guy I work with, who is a work out freak and asked if my DD(he knew DD did gymnastics) took supplements ie: pediasure, muscle milk. My response was a "HECK NO" she already takes a daily vitamin(flinstone kinda thing).

Got me to thinking though, if DD burns up so much energy at the gym, would this extra vitamin/supplement be a good thing????

Personally, I dont like the idea!

What are your thoughts? :confused:

I am sure that a balanced diet and a daily multi vitamin is all that any growing child needs, including our gymnasts.

Special diets are just a bit too much for me.

I am also in the well balanced diet / vitamin group.

They may need more calories than their counterparts though. My DD eats a little very often. She is generally 'starving' every hour and a half. Not quite sure how she gets through school. She has reflux (which we did not know until she was 4) and takes med's for it now but I think that is why she only eats a little at a time.

I just try my best to do a balanced diet with my kids too - I try to get them to eat lots of fruits and veggies. The vitamins I give them are whole food based - we do the juice plus. I don't know if they are really any good - but I have noticed that they get sick less when they take those vs. flinstone type vitamins. I don't think I would ever load my kids up on those protein type things.

I don't think I would ever load my kids up on those protein type things.

Not only that, but anyone thinking about doing this should check w/ their child's MD first. Some of those are not safe for kids (especially those w/ any 'high/extra' levels of anything) and could damage their kidneys or worse!

I am a fan of a well-balanced diet and maybe a run-of-the-mill vitamin if you have a kid who refuses to eat veggies or fruit...:cool:

My kids take a few....
Fish Oil, Vit. D, Calcium/Mag., Mulit vit.

We have a friend who is a Dr and these are his suggestions.

They are not great eaters, but love fruit.

There's no reason why a child cna't take cod liver oil and omega 3 - will be excellent for them.

Fir the older gymnasts who have suffered form injuries... starting maybe 16, glucosamine and chondritin is great of joints.

For us older lot, a tablespoon of black molasses and cider vinegar a day is also great

There's no reason why a child cna't take cod liver oil and omega 3 - will be excellent for them.

Fir the older gymnasts who have suffered form injuries... starting maybe 16, glucosamine and chondritin is great of joints.

For us older lot, a tablespoon of black molasses and cider vinegar a day is also great

Jamie,

I knew the moment I read your post that you are from Ireland. My grnadmother used to give us a spoonfull of cod liver oil and malt extract every day. I can still taste It!!!!!:eek:

I am in the mult vitamin group. Although my little gymmie eats like a bird. but every couple hours is hungry again. A child in her class has extreme allergies, so they can have a snack in the morning like the other class do. She has the last time slot for lunch so it is 5 hours between breakfast and lunch. I hate for her to be so hungry during the day. It has to be a huge distraction. So with me and my husband working full time she needs to go to daycare after school and then right to practice so i need to make sure she is energized for practice but not too full.

Mum haunts me (see what I did there! Halloween ;) )with the cod liver oil. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it!

We try the balanced diet which sometimes is more wishful planning than successful. So, the whole family takes Juice Plus which is not considered a vitamin or supplement by the FDA(its a food). At least I know she is getting some natural vitamins from that and as Flippy mentioned it does boost her immune system some.

All kids need some form of calcium---milk, yogurt---however you can get it in them.

Certainly avoid the "body building" shakes and foods---as another poster mentioned that stuff is not even meant for kids and can cause problems.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Cod Liver Oil though(YUCK) no thanks!. Anyway, I agree with all the parents and think that the DDs just need a good healthy diet and kid vitamins. :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back