WAG WAG: Uptraining and New Skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Since the boys' side has this thread, I thought maybe the girls' side should have one too.

DD is still 3 weeks out from States, so there's still a lot of time spent on routines, etc. But, after about a year of beginning Yurchenko training, DD finally got to move the training to the table. On Monday she said she was doing a ROBHS over the table with the table set to "1". Yesterday she was doing them with the table set to "2" and she was REALLY hoping they would be working them again today because the HC said she was ready to try them at "3". She says that they are lots of fun. I have yet to see any of this, which may be for the best... :scared:

Dd current favorite uptraining is overshoots but the yurchenko drills are a close second. She loves this time of year.

DD has been learning front tucks, layouts, front fronts, BWO on beam, BHS on beam with mats on either side, clear hips, giants, flyaways. She is also starting drills for twisting vaults. She catches on to skills fairly easily (except on beam) but her form takes a while to catch up i.e. they are ugly at first.

She catches on to skills fairly easily (except on beam) but her form takes a while to catch up i.e. they are ugly at first.

My DD is just the opposite. She is often the last to get a skill, but once she gets it, it looks pretty.

The Fellows is loving all the uptraining she is doing. We have a few more meets so they are working routines as well, but in the time they have she has been working clear hips, flyaways, and giants (kinda) and just got her cast handstand to vertical yesterday, she was even straight and pointy, so that was exciting. They are also working BWO on beam and some tumbling. Lots and lots of bar work, less tumbling right now.

It would be great to hear what levels everyone just competed too! Dd just finished competing L5.

Floor: Working front handspring/front tuck combo, RO/BHS/back layout combo, just got front tuck and standing back tuck!
Bars: Working cast-to-handstands, clear hips, drills for flyaways, toe circles, some other things I don't know what they're called.
Beam: working BHS, BHS stepouts, dismounts
Vault: tsuks into pit (I think? hard to see and I never watch because vault is boring)

MaryA, my dd is like yours! She is a perfectionist and won't attempt a skill until she is 99% sure she will get it. When she does, it's usually pretty good because she prepped it so well.

Okay, my girlie is obviously a bit more novice that your girls.....but...... I have seen her practice:
front handspring
front walkover
front tuck
kip
handspring over vault
connecting a 3rd BHS to her ROBHSBHS

She loves all the up training!

We still have the final competition on April 20th so we're all working on routines, routines, routines!
But we have done a little uptraining. Working Front handspring-front tucks, baby giants, back walkovers/front walkovers and backhandsprings on beam. RO-BHS-BT, front pikes, front layout step-outs and some uptraining stuff on vault!!

I competed level 5 this year.

For my DD up training is giants (6 months and going strong :) ), yurchenko drills, back tuck on beam, aerial on beam, front aerials into pit, free hip to handstand. She loves learning new things!

My DD just finished L6 and ten minutes after State she said I can't wait for Monday? I asked Why and she said I get to do new stuff! Sure enough come Monday she did: A layout over the vault table into the pit without touching it apparently. I didn't see this and I sure can't imagine it. OVER the table without touching ?!!? How does that work? and why? She had no idea what it leads to if anything but she had a blast. Just glad I didn't see it. Probably would have given me a heart attack! Then I did see beam and she did all types of leaps and jump combinations. Her coach said these are the typical ones, try them and see what you like. Then it was on to back walkover/backhandsrping on the low beam and back handspring/backhandspring. I guess she'll do one of those two series and last was watching back tucks off the end of the beam. While DD is more than glad to not to a handstand dismount I am not sure I want to watch the back tuck :)
The next day she did bars, I didn't see any but she reported doing cast overs which she thought was great fun, cast handstands and what she called medium giants :) No idea what that might be apparent;y between a baby and a full :) On floor she has already accomplished a front handspring front tuck and can't wait to do round off-back hand spring- back layout. This time of year is fun for everyone.

^^^^^^ Oh my DD was doing those the other day - the layouts over the table without touching it (she called it a straight front, but I think it's the same? Run hard and launch over the table like an inverted crucifix...). I too couldn't really work out what on earth that was for, but it looked really spectacular and scary! Might it be to get them to drive their heels? She's so happy to have competed her compulsory and be free to train more exciting skills - flics on beam, assisted giants, bhs step out, fhs step out to front somi and tsuk preps. Happy and excited gymnast.

That sounds like what she was doing! I can just imagine these girls FLYING over the table. DD is very, very glad to be done with compulsories :)

I'd have to say training giants, clear hip to handstand, tsuks, and aerials on the beam are currently DD's favorites. Fun time of year!

DD is finishing her level 7 season and they are doing a ton of stuff. I think they throw everything at them to see what sticks...
Vault-yurchenko, floor-layout full and a bunch of jumpy leapy stuff, beam- backhandspring back layout combo on beam, back tucks, front handspring front aerial combo and variety of dismounts, bars-stalder to handstand, pirouettes, drills for blind changes. The vault looks like it will be the hardest change for DD from level 7 to level 8...we shall see! I know my DD won't be able to do everything quite yet but it sure is neat to get a glimpse at whats coming down the pipe!

Cartwheels and back walkovers on beam
Front handsprings, dive rolls, round off bhsbhs on floor (my dd can already do a robhsbhs, but if she gets it straighter, she gets to move on to robhsbt)
vaulting "for real" over the table..this is exciting stuff when you get out of L4 :)
Kips (almost there)

Working on:
BWO-BHS on beam
FHS-FT on floor
giants, clear hip and casts to handstand

Has:
On foor...RO-BHS-LO
FHSSO-FHS
FT
RO-BHS-BT

On beam...connected BWO-BWO
On bars...all level 6

Vault - focus is still FHS

DD's still working routines until states next weekend, but the gym does a pretty job uptraining year round.

Beam:
BHS-BHS (she's moved the series to the high beam - working on consistently landing it now)
Back tuck
RO-BT dismount

Floor:
Full
FHS FLO FT

Bars:
Pirouette
Not sure what it's called but it's the double flyaway dismount into pit

Vault:
Yurchenko timers
Tsuks off the table onto a mat

She loves this time of year! I love her fearlessness (I doubt I could ever do it). And is it terrible to admit that I never thought she make it this far? I used to watch these girls do these crazy skills and was in awe. Now DD's doing those crazy things!

Bars
clear hip, giants on the low bar, flyaway, drop kip to cast handstand

Beam
BHS, FWO, front tuck dismount

Floor
switch leap, ROBHSBLO, FHS-FT

Vault
half on half off, yurchenko timers

The girls just moved into their post-season training groups so things are about to get ratcheted up. It's very similar to what GymBee said....the gym just throws a bunch of stuff at them all summer long and see who can do what. I know my daughter is dying to start twisting but I've not seen any indication that the coaches are ready for her to begin doing that yet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back