WAG Wanting more hours in the gym/undertraining

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 28607

So my gym competes in CARA gymnastics, which is like a mix between rec and Xcel. The compulsories practice for 4 hours a week, and the Optionals do 6. I had to move in the middle of the year (and I obviously had to switch gyms) so the highest they would take me is Pre-team, which practices 3 hours a week, although my skills are much, MUCH higher than that. At my old gym, I did a fast-track style program (did not compete but lots of conditioning and uptraining) that had kind of low hours but I got a lot out of it. Anyways, now I'm training about three levels below where I used to and with even lower hours.

I tried talking to my coaches, but they are not allowed to coach any 'hard' skills because everyone else cannot do them and the gym is very strict on what skills we're allowed to do. I have elite aspirations, and started gymnastics late, so I have to get new skills fast. The gym has a philosophy of gymnastics being all for fun and they do not care about technique or any of that stuff. I am that kid who is a perfectionist, does not do anything besides gymnastics, does not have any friends outside of school because of gymnastics, etc. By this point, it's so frustrating that not only I'm not allowed to get any new skills, but am starting to lose some of the skills I had consistently at my old gym. Conditioning at the new gym is super easy too. So I'm literally getting nothing out of it.

My parents tried to figure out private lessons but it's been like a month and the coach still wouldn't reply. I also go to an open gym once a week for 1 1/2 hours. I do a whole ton of conditioning and stretching at home, do a bunch of easy skills and practice dance elements and stuff.

I'm just looking for any advice on what I should do.

You need a new gym. A USAG gym
Thanks for replying! I really want to go to an USAG gym but I live in a small town and the closest one is about 20 minutes away. I'm going to try to convince my parents to let me try to join this summer to train there.

Sounds like this gym just isn't a good fit for what you want. You would need a USAG program most likely to work on your goals. 20 minutes to a gym is actually quite close for a rural area! My daughter has teamates in our rural area that have a two hour commute to get to our gym...and its literally the closest gym to them!

20 min is close! We drive 30, and have several girls who have over an hour commute. I hope you can switch this summer, I agree sounds like the current gym isn’t a great fit for you.

That's crazy that some of you guys have to drive over an hour to the gym! To clarify, I cannot commit to a gym that's far away because my school is already 50 minutes away and I have a 2-year-old sibling.

However, next year, I'm going into high school and it will be very close to my house, so the option of going to a better gym farther away will be open!

I'll have to talk to my parents about my training this summer. I will have to schedule it around family vacations and one summer camp and figure out where I want to train/what level/etc.

I'll update you when I figure it out!

I would have killed for a 20 minute commute...we did 2 hours each way for our last 6 years.
You need a new USAG gym because even though your current gym is close by, it's not what you need or want. It's almost like a waste of $$ to stay there.
by each way do you mean an hour for going and an hour to return or four hours in total? after reading all these replies I feel so lucky that my very decent gym is only 10 minutes away!

If you are thinking of switching gyms for the fall, I agree with you that you should try to join in their program over the summer for at least a couple of weeks to get familiar with the gym, coaches and potential teammates. That way you feel more comfortable when you do start in the fall.

If you want to compete on the team at a new gym, I would try to start there as soon as you can after school is out. Most likely, they will be ordering leotards/warmups and making level decisions over the summer.

So my gym competes in CARA gymnastics, which is like a mix between rec and Xcel. The compulsories practice for 4 hours a week, and the Optionals do 6. I had to move in the middle of the year (and I obviously had to switch gyms) so the highest they would take me is Pre-team, which practices 3 hours a week, although my skills are much, MUCH higher than that. At my old gym, I did a fast-track style program (did not compete but lots of conditioning and uptraining) that had kind of low hours but I got a lot out of it. Anyways, now I'm training about three levels below where I used to and with even lower hours.

I tried talking to my coaches, but they are not allowed to coach any 'hard' skills because everyone else cannot do them and the gym is very strict on what skills we're allowed to do. I have elite aspirations, and started gymnastics late, so I have to get new skills fast. The gym has a philosophy of gymnastics being all for fun and they do not care about technique or any of that stuff. I am that kid who is a perfectionist, does not do anything besides gymnastics, does not have any friends outside of school because of gymnastics, etc. By this point, it's so frustrating that not only I'm not allowed to get any new skills, but am starting to lose some of the skills I had consistently at my old gym. Conditioning at the new gym is super easy too. So I'm literally getting nothing out of it.

My parents tried to figure out private lessons but it's been like a month and the coach still wouldn't reply. I also go to an open gym once a week for 1 1/2 hours. I do a whole ton of conditioning and stretching at home, do a bunch of easy skills and practice dance elements and stuff.

I'm just looking for any advice on what I should do.

Are you in Colorado? How old are you? When you say “elite aspirations”, what does that mean? You should have level 10 skills by the time you are 10-12 to consider elite gymnastics. CARA gymnastics will not lead to that, and Xcel likely won’t either. If you’re looking to do college gymnastics, I would find a new gym ASAP or learn to be okay with doing gymnastics recreationally.

Are you in Colorado? How old are you? When you say “elite aspirations”, what does that mean? You should have level 10 skills by the time you are 10-12 to consider elite gymnastics. CARA gymnastics will not lead to that, and Xcel likely won’t either. If you’re looking to do college gymnastics, I would find a new gym ASAP or learn to be okay with doing gymnastics recreationally.
I live in Colorado, 13 years old, hoping to qualify for elite by the time I'm 16. I started late (like reallyyy late... at 11) and my skill level varies so differently by each event and I'm hoping to try to smooth that out during this summer and get all of my skills to a level 9/10. College gymnastics is the realistic goal but I also want to try to make it to Nationals.

Thanks for replying! I really want to go to an USAG gym but I live in a small town and the closest one is about 20 minutes away. I'm going to try to convince my parents to let me try to join this summer to train there.
20 minutes is like a vacation. It’s really not that far, that’s what I drive my girl now. I used to drive 45 minutes until we moved. Some girls at her gym drive 2 hours each way, 5-6 days a week. This is just to give some perspective, not to be flippant or anything.

20 minutes is like a vacation. It’s really not that far, that’s what I drive my girl now. I used to drive 45 minutes until we moved. Some girls at her gym drive 2 hours each way, 5-6 days a week. This is just to give some perspective, not to be flippant or anything.
I get that 20 minutes is not a long distance, but it's still too far for my family during the school year

I live in Colorado, 13 years old, hoping to qualify for elite by the time I'm 16. I started late (like reallyyy late... at 11) and my skill level varies so differently by each event and I'm hoping to try to smooth that out during this summer and get all of my skills to a level 9/10. College gymnastics is the realistic goal but I also want to try to make it to Nationals.
Wow, that’s super impressive!
As someone who also started gymnastics even later (at 13) the most I’m aiming for is for my skills to reach level 5, if I train really hard, then 6. What level are you in now?

Wow, that’s super impressive!
As someone who also started gymnastics even later (at 13) the most I’m aiming for is for my skills to reach level 5, if I train really hard, then 6. What level are you in now?

Yours is a more realistic approach. L5 and L6 are so similar that if you make it to L5, you should easily be able to make the transition to L6. The OP's aspirations are not compatible with the lifestyle changes that would be necessary to even allow for the opportunity to *try* for her goals. Her town does not offer higher level training and she says her family is not willing to commute during the school year to a gym that offers higher level gymnastics. Can't have it both ways...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back