Warm-blooded gymnasts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is kind of a strange question but I figured I would throw it out there. Are any of your gymnasts always "hot" or complaining that they are hot? My dd is always saying that she is hot or that it is too hot and that is why she doesn't wear a coat :rolleyes:. In the middle of the winter she will wear tank tops and just wear a sweat jacket outside. I have to literally force a heavier coat on her when we go outside.

Do you think this is just simply genetics or could this have something to do with her being a gymnast and her activity level? Also, at gym practice they are not really allowed to wear sweat pants or jackets (for obvious reasons) when they are training and sometimes the gym is rather chilly. Maybe she has just accustomed her body to warm-up faster and deal with the colder temperatures. Not sure. Does anyone else have a gymmie like this??

Last edited:
You could be talking about my dd in your post! She has a tank top on and cotton shorts in the house right now and there is a foot of snow outside. She had a class this morning and cried halfway home because she had a sweatsuit on in the car over her leo (winter coat not even an option in the car and laying on the seat) and was so "HOTTT" sob, sob...
The fan has to be on at night with no covers and she will tolerate only a tee-shirt with no pajama bottoms and definately no blankets in the middle of winter. So there must be something to the gymnast side of things and their activity level.
My dd never gets sick like other kids do either so I am wondering what your experience is. People can have the worst cough, cold etc and she seems like iron woman to me.

Last edited:
great question. this coming from someone that fathered/coached a daughter. it is true that their core body temperatures are higher after a work out. but honestly, i always attributed the tank top and shorts, then heading outside in a blizzard to that of rebellious bliss. yet when they work out, and you know that they are scantily clothed comparatively speaking, they complain that "the gym is cold, can't you turn up the heat"?

who knows?:)

I have one of each. Youngest-El is the hot child. Can't stand being warm. Em the oldest is FREEZING all the time. Her coach said she has no body fat on her that is why she is always cold.

You could be talking about my dd in your post! She has a tank top on and cotton shorts in the house right now and there is a foot of snow outside. She had a class this morning and cried halfway home because she had a sweatsuit on in the car over her leo (winter coat not even an option in the car and laying on the seat) and was so "HOTTT" sob, sob...
The fan has to be on at night with no covers and she will tolerate only a tee-shirt with no pajama bottoms and definately no blankets in the middle of winter. So there must be something to the gymnast side of things and their activity level.
My dd never gets sick like other kids do either so I am wondering what your experience is. People can have the worst cough, cold etc and she seems like iron woman to me.

Same here with the sleeping conditions. I tend to be always cold and have to sleep in a long sleeved shirt and sweatpants or bottoms and NEED at least 3 blankets on me. She tends to sleep in shorts and a tank and maybe a thin blanket.

My dd rarely gets sick either (knock on wood) so whatever she is doing must be working out for her!!

Yes, this is my daughter too! Actually, all my daughters! My youngest, who just does rec gym used to go around all winter in her bathing suit! No matter where we would hide it, she would find it. That was a hard one to break, now she just wears tanks and shorts. My team gymmie also does the tanks and shorts, fan on at night with no covers, meanwhile I have frost bite! I think it has to do with muscle mass and their metabolism. Oh to be young again....

My DD is like that, too. I keep the thermostat pretty low, and she runs around the house in a leo. She hates wearing heavy coats, even though we live in the freezing cold snowbelt.

My DD too. While the rest of us freeze she complains that she is hot. She has always been that way even as a baby. Any time she is hot she gets flushed real easily. She usually has red cheeks while she is sleeping and every day after gym.

My youngest is a human furnace! Walks around scantily clad, sleeps with no covers etc. Hates to wear a jacket or snowpants.

The oldest isn't though.

Not me! I'm ALWAYS freezing...I can't attest to sleeping conditions because my room is like 30 degrees F in the winter and 85 in the summer (it's the one NOT connected to the central temperature systems in my house...of course...) but I wear long underwear, sweatpants, t-shirt, and sweatshirt to school every day, underneath my big winter coat, and I can't take off my sweatshirt because I'm so cold. Low body fat and low blood pressure. Whatevs. But in the summer, I sweat like a pig (my mother does too).

Funny post my daughter always wears tank tops around the house and only sweatjackets outside. When she was 2 she used to throw a temper tantrum when I put on her winter coat.

My problem at home is that my parents can't agree! My mom is always cold, and my dad is always hot. Summer, winter, doesn't matter. Mom is always turning the temp. up and dad turns is back down. I tend to follow in my dad's footsteps, and my sister follows my mom. So there is a thermostat war.

Luckily the heat doesn't work very well in my room, since its farthest from the boiler. And the A/C, I have a window unit that I usually keep on full blast at night in the summer.

I always wear shorts and a T and flip-flops at home. And I usually get yelled at by mom when I walk out to the mailbox or walk the dog dressed like that when there's a couple feet of snow on the ground!

No, not me! I always have freezing cold hands and feet. Doesn't help that my mum opens all the windows and turns the fire and heating off when its snowing outside!

I do get cold sometimes, and i am cold in the gym alot, but at home i always am wearing shorts. If i get cold i put on a hoodie or a blanket. I just like wearing shorts. I go and put pants on and a coat if we are leaving the house though. At night i like to be a little on the cold side, so i will have a quilt, shorts, and occaisionally the fan on in the winter and all the time in the summer. but i wouldnt say that i am ALWAYS hot.

I'm both. Any time I'm not in the gym or exercising I am absolutely FREEZING. I have to wear long sleeved tops and extra jumpers with my school uniform and always have to wear socks with my tights because I get so cold. I'm always wearing gloves/scarf/ coat even indoors. But then after 5 minutes in the gym I'm boiling! Bright red face, slowing down when I run past the A/C :S All of that! And I only ever wear a short sleeved leo and no shorts! When I come out of the gym I have to pile on so many layers even though I'm dying of heat because I know within 5 minutes I'll be shivering :)

don't know if its because she's a gymnast or not but my DD has always liked the cold even as an infant she would kick off all the covers on a regular basis she is still like that with all the covers on the floor in the AM. Maybe living in the NorthEast where it can get cold at the drop off a hat has something to do with it but I have to say I think she takes after me. I think I put my own heavy coat on for the first time about 2 weeks ago for maybe 3 days otherwise I just wear a fleece jacket. DD is the same but I make her put her winter coat over the jacket.

Flipper is virtually always cold. I have threatened to quit buying her shirts because she always wears a hoodie or coat over them and simply never takes it off. The only time she is ever warm is on the car ride home from gym. She still sleeps in blanket sleepers with loads of quilts over her to stay warm. Even in the summer at the pool, Flipper can be found laying on the concrete trying to absorb heat instead of enjoying the water.

Beetle is mostly cold.. And actually when she starts to get chilled.. she ends up FREEZING needing extra blankets, sweatshirts whatever until she warms up.

I attribute it to the 0/low body fat..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back