WAG Warm Ups for keeping warm?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

BachFlyer

Proud Parent
I am just curious about whether or not your dd/team actually uses their warm-ups to keep warm in between events at meets. I have rarely seen girls put them on while waiting for the next event, especially when the room is freezing (Friday morning sessions come to mind!) and the girls are visibly shivering out on the floor. Or even when there is a significant backup and they sit around waiting for 10 or 20 minutes. Coming from a running background, where we were basically ordered by our coach to keep our sweats on in between events, it totally baffles me. I would think it would help keep muscles loose in these instances, but maybe a coach or gymnast could enlighten me!

Edited to say: I have seen girls on TV at the big meets (including the Olympics) throw on their pants while waiting...

no, mostly it goes their backpacks and stays there until awards. it does seem like it would be a good idea to utilize them more, though.

Some of our older girls would put their pants on between events... but most of the time they are so warm - small gym, lots of ppl- that they leave them in their bags.
Last year, YG forgot she had her pants on right before her turn on floor... coach reminded her as she was waiting - YG had made the comment that her pants weren't in her bag because she couldn't find them :) Poor girl.

The venue where most of my comps are held is usually FREEZING and I wear whatever I can get my hands on in between turns, and that includes my coat!

At comps I go to Australia it's either so cold my toes are frozen off so warm up goes on ASAP! Or it's like 30 degrees so it is way to hot for a warm up! But option is ours

I don't think our girls out them back on after warming up (and they seem to shed them as they go during warmup time) one single time. I also don't recall thinking the venue was chilly at any point, so....

Depends on the meet, my coach is pretty good with these things and always says "warm ups off after warm up for event warm ups, then put them back on." She always expects us to be waiting around in our club jackets (zipped or unzipped) and either our Capri warm up leggings or club bottoms

Ours were never worn at all! They had to pitch up at the competition in full warm up gear, but as soon as we got there everything but leo and grips were given to the parents and stayed there until the presentations were over!

Waste of money if you ask me. Especially as they were white so I used to get DD changed 5 mins before she went in the door. And they were only allowed to wear them at competitions….

My team was always ordered to put on warm up pants, socks and shoes in between events so we wouldn't get cold. The jackets mostly stayed in our bags because we had long-sleeved leos. It does seem like a waste of money if you never end up wearing your warm ups for extended amounts of time! We were allowed to wear them whenever we wanted though, so they were worth the money (but oftentimes a little dirty from the younger ones wanting to wear them on the playground, there's a downside to everything!).

My DD gets a lot of use out of her warmups in between events, but she inherited my poorly calibrated thermostat. DS did too, and it's not uncommon to see him working out on floor in his pommel pants while everyone else is shirtless and sweating buckets. I have a lot of great pictures of them shivering at meets.

The optionals has to get capris last year in addition to long warmup pants. They wore the capris significantly more than they did the long, loose warm ups - during timed warm ups and commonly in between events (some venues were very cold). I guess I am surprised by above that more gyms don't seem to wear them during awards. That's the general custom that I see.

Oh, once the meet was over and the girls were waiting around for awards, most of them out the warmups back on and wore them during awards. Just not during the actual meet in between events. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back