WAG Warmup/stretching while waiting turn during meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi All. During a competition, the team will warm up during the allotted "warm up" time. Once competition started the gymnasts are allowed to warm up prior to their turn on each event. My question is when the gymnasts are just sitting there and waiting. Are they allowed to stretch/warm up on their own? Example would be if a gymnast is just sitting on the side and waiting for their turn on the floor, can they stretch or move around or are they expected to sit and can warm up ONLY when they are told to warm up? Thanks!

This is something that the coach would be responsible for. At lower levels there may be a routine that the team has. For example... do a dance through of your beam routine on that line before your turn. It may also be to just sit in order so they do not get confused.

At the upper levels it just depends on what the athlete needs... if they wait along time they may need to bounce around a bit to stay warm.

Overall though... there is not much gymnastics you can do at this time as you are not allowed on the equipment.

A little rant here.... Nothing is more annoying than that team that warms their kids up on the beam mats constantly during your competition time. I don't care how low level things are... the entire matted area is for the use of the competing athlete... period.

My daughter (this year a L9) will usually get up and do some activities on the side to keep herself warm, especially if there are delays. One meet last year the competition room was ice cold, and she got hit with a major delay after her bars warmup. She was up out of the way of competition doing jumping jacks and windmills with her arms just to stay warm and keep her shoulders loose.

A little rant here.... Nothing is more annoying than that team that warms their kids up on the beam mats constantly during your competition time. I don't care how low level things are... the entire matted area is for the use of the competing athlete... period.

With her coaches it's up the gymnast if they want/need more individual warmup, but they would never let a gymnast continue warmup in someone else's competition space like the beam mats. That's a huge no-no. I've seen exactly what JBS describes (and in our cases it's been an organized gym thing), and it drives me bonkers. Incredibly bad form.

yes! Or having their team do literal conditioning right up against the floor while the other teams are competing. Like V-ups, rocking hollow holds, push-ups, leg kicks, leg lifts, etc. They stop when their team is going, but have no problem when other girls are competing. I guess theyre try8ng to distract them or psyche them out? Why? Your team always scores big and wins anyway. So, so rude!

Attachments

• 66123EE7-3AD4-4BD4-901D-F21A9DB9466F.jpeg
    66123EE7-3AD4-4BD4-901D-F21A9DB9466F.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 95
  • DC06D054-AA40-41B9-AEDC-7569D01DFE99.jpeg
    DC06D054-AA40-41B9-AEDC-7569D01DFE99.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 88

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back