Wash those hands!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lilgymnast7

Hi! I don't post often but I wanted to let everyone know how important it is to WASH YOUR HANDS! Just saying half the people at my gym and school are out sick. For all of those team members be careful not to share anything!We all know being sick sucks and might mean skipping some meets which is not fun. Today at gym our coach told us never to share hair ties, grips, food, etc. Also if you are sick absolutely don't go to gym. Of course you probably want to but you will risk spreading the germs. Also attending gymnastics won't make you feel any better. If anything you will feel worse and you shouldn't rish other people's health. And lasty when you get home from gymnastics be sure to always wash your hands. My coach had told me to post something cause its so important. I wasn't sure what to post this under so I apoligize if it's under the wrong category.

I agree with what has been posted.

Remember, coaches get sick too, especially when parents send kids to the gym sick. Most coaches have NO sick days or health insurance and being off from work is very much frowned upon. Many of us have to be healthy for our families and other jobs too. Please be considerate and keep sick kids home! Unfortunately, our gym is not cleaned daily, so it's even more important to wash hands and use sanitizer.

Thank you so much for posting this. I know that at our gym we just had a meet, but a couple girls could not attend because they were sick, and our coaches were fine with it. So don't worry if you think your coach will be mad because you didn't come to a practice or even a meet. Chances are, if they are a good coach, then they just want you to get better quickly.

And please don't go to a meet if you are sick. It is not fair to the others that may get sick from you. Missing a meet sucks big time, but it is best to stay home if you are sick. Besides infecting other people, being sick and performing could be dangerous as you could injure yourself because you aren't 100%.

My coaches want us to be at the gym even if we are sick.
I find this really discusting (sp??) but yah its nasty kids are like throwing up and sneezing all over the place. Any advice for this???... I really don't want to get sick. ;)

My coaches want us to be at the gym even if we are sick.
I find this really discusting (sp??) but yah its nasty kids are like throwing up and sneezing all over the place. Any advice for this???... I really don't want to get sick. ;)

RUN, don't walk, to another gym.

RUN, don't walk, to another gym.

Ditto. Run very fast....:D

I have a 13 year old home with suspected H1N1 right now, she is on tamiflu and won't be going anywhere near the gym or school yet. If you or your kid has a fever, stuff running out of any orifice or is coughing a lot, keep them home. Nobody loves them the way you do and they will be happier and healthier at home.

Here in Quebec, home of the two cheek kiss, I ain't kissing anyone!

My church stopped doing the passing of the peace during service :)

And my college has hand sanitizer everywhere! We also have an H1N1 quarantine area for when you're sick so as not to spread it around.

I feel like people are taking the necessary precautions and overall being smart about this.

For Bog

Off topic - hope your kiddo feels better. Tamiflu worked wonders when my gymmie had H1N1 - we were lucky in that she had her first dose within 12 hours of onset so she did not get very sick.

handsanatizer

glad someone posted on not tol share stuff, because people are getting sick... also for everyones information...don't use handsanitizer to much...it has germs in it that get rid of the germs on your hands, but if you use it to much they can turn out to be bad germs....so only use it at most likie 1nce a day....

Most parents where I am are pretty good about not sending their kids to the gym when they are sick, but some just need to get rid of their kid no matter what even if snot is dripping. It's disgusting and honestly, I make efforts to avoid that child. I feel bad about it, but I don't want to get sick. I have classes and work to go to, getting sick would suck big time.
But, that being said, I think it's also very important not to overdo things. H1N1, colds, flu, everything that is going on now is very real and a legitimate concern. However, some people will get sick no matter what precautions are taken. Washing your hands too much, using too many sanitizers, etc. can potentially do more harm than good if overused. I struggle with a severe anxiety problem and take all of these precautions very seriously. I have taken all of these steps to the extreme because people have stressed their importance so much. But please please please, do not let personal cleanliness interfere with your life. It's a really fine line, but something that I don't think is stressed enough.
Is is definitely important to stay clean, stay home when sick, encourage others to do the same etc, but it should not consume your life.

glad someone posted on not tol share stuff, because people are getting sick... also for everyones information...don't use handsanitizer to much...it has germs in it that get rid of the germs on your hands, but if you use it to much they can turn out to be bad germs....so only use it at most likie 1nce a day....

Sadly this is another peice of misinformation. Hand sanitiser is your friend when soap and water are unavailable. Use it often. The only issue is with too much use it can make your skin very dry, so then use moisturiser.

My husnabd works in health care and there just is not way to get around the fact that germs are carried on your skin and you have to remove them before you pass them on.

Hand sanitiser is very, very good, especially in gyms wher ehand washing is not a priority and grips etc do not get washed.

Here's a new tip.

Rub a little sanitizer on the skin around your lips and under your nose.

A technician at the hospital where I volunteer adevises the families to do this before they walk through a crowd in order to minimize the spread of the virus.

I've also heard that if you will be traveling by plane (or anywhere else with close contact/recirculated air) it's a good idea to put a dab of vaseline in each nostril. It's what the athletes do when traveling and they can absolutely not get sick. But again, don't take things out of hand!

Oh no not another myth! DO NOT stick vasaline in your nose! If that were a proven method don't you think people would be shouting it from the roof tops! you also get germs in your eyes and mouth are you going to put vasaline in them as well? Everyone just needs to stick with the basics! Read my first post. The number one reason disease spreads???? People either not washing their hands or incorrect washing. Running your hands under the water and flicking your fingers does not count as a hand wash. Also as someone else mentioned I am not in any way suggesting you get OCD over it. People should practice these habits year round.

No need to be mean. It's a known method. You don't shove a gob of vaseline up your nose, you just put a dab on each nostril. Don't shove it up there, just cover the nostril part with a SMALL amount. I'm sorry the methods I have heard aren't the same as your infallible ones, but no need to get rude. I am very aware of health precautions.
In the previous post, I was just saying there is no need to get worked up. Some people are prone to take such statements too far. I know that your intentions are good, but there is an important line to draw between being safe and taking things too far. It happens and I think it is just as important to warn people against the impacts of that as it is to remind people of proper cleanliness. It's just a personal opinion.
I'm sorry if I offended you, but I think your response was rather irrational and uncalled for.

When both kids and I were at home sick with H1N1, an epidemiologist friend of ours told my husband to gargle with salt water, use a saltwater nasal rinse (salt is a hostile environment for bacteria and viruses) and drink very hot liquid (also creates a hostile environment for bugs). Wash, wash, wash and use antibacterial cleansers. Hubby managed to live in our house with sickies for 2.5 weeks without getting sick.

The only thing on that list to be careful of is the very hot liquids as it has been linked to throat cancer in countries where drinking very hot drinks are the norm. It is suggested waiting about 4 minutes to drink your "hot" drinks.

Drinking Very Hot Tea Can Increase The Risk Of Throat Cancer

I say this as my mother has been diagnosed with a precancerous condition of her esophagus called "Barretts syndrome" and she ws advised by her oncologist to let her drinks cool a bit before ingesting.

All the other suggestions are great.

I really hope that everyone is dodging this awful flu that is going around.

My son was sick a couple of weeks ago with h1n1. It was awful. The doctor prescribed Tamiflu. Told us that it worked wonders, and

I AM NOT A FAN OF TAMIFLU. (not that it doesn't work, but it made our situation much, much worse).

After the first dose of Tamiflu, my son started vomiting. I thought nothing of it and figured that he was either vomiting from "being sick," or vomiting because of the high fever - just part of having the sickness. Anyway, the vomiting became pretty violent over the course of 24 hours...at one point my son said to me "mom, please don't make me take that medicine. It's making me throw up. I hate it. Don't make me take it." I told him that he wasn't throwing up from the medicine, that he was throwing up because he was sick...Then, I started to get a little curious.

When we go to the pharmacy to get a prescription of anykind, there is always a pamphlet attached to the bag that gives dosing instructions, side effects, signs of an allergic reaction, etc...This time, when I went to pick up the Tamiflu, there was no pamphlet attached. I asked the Pharmacist if the dosing instructions were on the bottle, he said yes, and I went on my way.

Since I had nothing from the pharmacy to look at to find out if the Tamiflu could have a side effect of nausea and/or vomiting, I looked it up online. Sure enough, there it was right infront of me.

I immediately called the doctor and asked if it was possible that tamiflu was making my son even more sick. We ended up having to go into the office. While we were there, the doctor looked up the side effects on his computer and told us to stop taking the Tamiflu immediately, then sent us over to the hospital so that my son could get some IV fluids - he was dehydrated from all of the vomiting. He then told us that Tamiflu only shortens the illness, and that it isn't worth taking it and risking dehydration in a child who doesn't tolerate the medication.

I'm not saying that Tamiflu doesn't work - it probably does for some people...(and I am not a doctor) Just please watch for side effects when giving your children this medication. Unfortunately, it seems like several people have children who have also had vomiting as a side effect of Tamiflu. And in our situation, it only made my son even sicker.

Definitely discuss the pros and cons of tamiflu with your doctor, ask for side effects, what to watch for, etc. This is something that I didn't do until it was too late - any other time i would have talked about with the doctor ahead of time. But, in the moment, my child was running a huge fever and was very very sick. When we first called the Dr, we were told NOT to come into the office, and they just called in the medication. I was in a huge emotional hurry to try and "fix" my son that I just picked up the tamiflu and gave it to him (trusting the nurse over the phone that this was the answer to the sickness).

While Tamaflu worked for my gymmie and thankfully did not make her sick she did not want to take it because " it tastes like throw up "

she has Asthma so we did not stop giving it to her, as much as she did not want to take it.

So sorry it made your little one worse.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back