WAG Wasn't prepared for Severs frequency

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's no fun for sure, but if they can just hang in there, they outgrow it eventually. DD was on and off for a long time; I think she was in some combination of a heel cup and an X brace for about three years. Last year, when she was off pretty much the whole season due to back pain, she had a growth spurt, and now that she's back, she finally seems to be done with Severs. The exercises are boring, but they do help, and laying off when it gets sore helps. Her coach has a good guideline for Severs flares: no landings that make a noise. For her, it seemed that if she laid off when the pain got bad, it resolved a bit quicker than if she tried to work through, and she made it through without ever being booted.

My kid with severs is a dancer. She has had it on and off for three years. The very, very best thing I have found for her is to keep her calf muscles from getting tight by massaging them... a lot. This is the main trigger for her. Her calves get tight, which pull on her Achilles, which put pressure on her heels....

Stretching is also important, but stretching a tight, irritated tendon can make it hurt more. We use stretching as a preventative, but during a flare up no stretching, just massage and hot epsom salt baths... anything to get those muscles to relax and take pressure off the tendons.

Also, dancers and gymnasts can both benefit from incorporating flexed feet into conditioning and stretching routines. And specifically stretched that pullthe toes up toward the knees. They need to counter all the work they do (pointing toes, jumping) that tightens the Achilles.

One more helpful thing is to roll out feet with a tennis ball or high density foam ball after practice. These muscles can get very tight too, and everything can contribute.

Hope your dd gets a break from all of this soon!

So, have been massaging Pinks leg as per this video, which she loves (but does say the tendon is sore), then she has been stretching and icing. I have also given her my gel heel inserts that I got for plantar fasciitis for school. Today was the first day to gym since Saturday as she as had a cold and she is wearing her new cheetah heel cup, we shall see if it has helped any as I'm off to pick her up in a minute.

Fingers crossed xxxx

well, seems the cups helped, thanks, have just massaged her and she is icing now. Hopefully this will help manage her pain.

Bonus, I am going to have super soft hands

my 9yr old DD is currently going through this. I am following sever's disease protocol by gymnast care and it's really amazing if you stick to it! after about a solid week of the protocol her pain was gone, she was so happy. then she mentioned it hurt again after about a week. so I felt for a tight calf muscle and boy was it ever knotted up! when she was pain free her muscles felt normal. the massage technique I feel is key (while pumping the foot) and the cold water soaks. she also wears xbrace during practice. this time around I am going to continue a bit longer instead of abruptly stopping the protocol.

my 9yr old DD is currently going through this. I am following sever's disease protocol by gymnast care and it's really amazing if you stick to it! after about a solid week of the protocol her pain was gone, she was so happy. then she mentioned it hurt again after about a week. so I felt for a tight calf muscle and boy was it ever knotted up! when she was pain free her muscles felt normal. the massage technique I feel is key (while pumping the foot) and the cold water soaks. she also wears xbrace during practice. this time around I am going to continue a bit longer instead of abruptly stopping the protocol.

That is so good to know.

She has asked me today if she should wear the cheetah cup to school. I have said no as I have given her my gel heels ( for plantar fasciitis) and the cheetah cup was pretty rank after gym tonight and needs a wash.

another thing besides abruptly stopping the protocol even though she was pain free is I didn't pay attention to the shoes she started wearing to school. she quit wearing her tennis shoes and was wearing chucks etc. that I do not think helped at all. important that they wear supportive shoes. she is wearing heel cups in hers from our athletic trainer.

we are limited as to what we can wear to school, she has these school shoes

26118895_A_p.jpg

as they fit her properly, with supportive innersoles, and now the gel heel wedges

another thing besides abruptly stopping the protocol even though she was pain free is I didn't pay attention to the shoes she started wearing to school. she quit wearing her tennis shoes and was wearing chucks etc. that I do not think helped at all. important that they wear supportive shoes. she is wearing heel cups in hers from our athletic trainer.

I just discovered that Superfeet insoles are available in kids' sizes, and the blue version will fit inside Tinker Bell's Chucks even though the original insole is not removable.

@bogwoppit I think there is some great advice here from people who have dealt with this problem and found solutions that work, any chance of putting it somewhere where it can be found quickly as a reference ?

So, have been massaging Pinks leg as per this video, which she loves (but does say the tendon is sore), then she has been stretching and icing. I have also given her my gel heel inserts that I got for plantar fasciitis for school. Today was the first day to gym since Saturday as she as had a cold and she is wearing her new cheetah heel cup, we shall see if it has helped any as I'm off to pick her up in a minute.

Fingers crossed xxxx

I will try this and see how it works.....munchie loves massages!

I was just out to my local medical supply store to buy the Cheetahs and it turns out that DD can't wear them due to her abnormally high instep - she can't get the proper size onto her foot, but going up a size results in it being too loose once it's in place. Is there some other brand that has laces or Velcro or something?

I was just out to my local medical supply store to buy the Cheetahs and it turns out that DD can't wear them due to her abnormally high instep - she can't get the proper size onto her foot, but going up a size results in it being too loose once it's in place. Is there some other brand that has laces or Velcro or something?

There is a Velcro version of cheetah cups. They were the only ones that fit my YDD.

Tuli's Cheetah Heel Protector, One Size Fits All (Adult) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MT3G6O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_g2vGybK8DSEAE

My dd just got the plain cheetah inserts and coach taped them onto her heel for practice (athletic tape and some stretchy tape). Worked like a charm!!

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back