Parents Watching practice- a no no?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Happens , we meet with them and if that does not work then we tell them this is not the program for them. ( keep in mind we go over all of this in the new parent meeting, so they already know even though they usually pretend not to). Honestly by the time it gets to that they usually leave on their own. But yes it happens , almost always with the level 3 amd 4 parents .

This is just out of curiosity...but do you guys make exceptions for team parents who have a pretty long commute? I know of a few parents I've met over the years that have to drive so far that it doesn't make sense to go back home and they stay at the gym out of convenience. I mean I know they can go shopping, out to eat (of course this is subject to the area the gym is in), etc, but I can also see how some would be exhausted after working all day and not really feel up to going out to shop, eat, etc, or they may simply not have the budget to do so, especially every day. Do you offer accommodations for parents in that kind of situation?

This is just out of curiosity...but do you guys make exceptions for team parents who have a pretty long commute? I know of a few parents I've met over the years that have to drive so far that it doesn't make sense to go back home and they stay at the gym out of convenience. I mean I know they can go shopping, out to eat (of course this is subject to the area the gym is in), etc, but I can also see how some would be exhausted after working all day and not really feel up to going out to shop, eat, etc, or they may simply not have the budget to do so, especially every day. Do you offer accommodations for parents in that kind of situation?

This is me! If I were to go shopping and out to eat every single time I drive then carpool, I would be fat and broke. Like I said earlier, when I do sit there, I'm rarely actually watching. Of course, our parent room/lobby is separated from the actual gym by glass so there is no communication or interference from parents...ever. You can't really even see most of the gym, except some bars and the occasional vault. Usually I just read a book or chat with other parents. I don't think any of our team parents really sit and watch a whole practice...maybe some of the pre-team parents.

I personally don't believe in telling parents they can't watch. What we do as a compromise is ask them to limit it to x amount per practice and week. They can come in wheneverand and check on their kid. We don't sit and time it but if it becomes a problem we bring out the policy and tell them they need to respect it.

No, there is a library near by . Same as sitting in the gym. :)

Have you actually flat-out told parents to go to the library instead? Were the parents thankful for the suggestion? Honestly curious here...
Keep in mind that the question was what do the parents who travel a long way do or do I make exceptions. So every single parent who travels a long way has come from an existing program, meaning they are already a competitive JO gymnast. (people don't drive an hour to go to pre team usually, or not that I have experienced). All those parents were given our watching policy prior to joining team. So I can't say that i have really had many problems with that particular group. They all know the deal prior to joining team and that is usually that. But yes, during our meeting I will tell them about our surrounding area (which is beautiful) and things they can do. I am certain that the Library has come out of my mouth along with Barns and Noble, shopping and oh yea... the Beach is pretty awesome as well..

Here the parents literally never watch. We have never even spoken about it with the parents - they don't seem to want to watch. We train in a big sports center with other sports practicing at the same time and there are hundreds of stands up there to sit and watch, but it's super super rare to see any of the parents up there. There's also a cafe up there, maybe they sit there, I don't know, you can't really see to the gymnastics area from there. All the parents seem to just drop the kids off and drive back home. Maybe our kids have relatively short commutes and they carpool a lot. I've noticed that when a mom drops the kid off the dad usually picks her up and vice versa. Most families have several kids who do sports or other activities so they have a lot of driving to do. In late spring, in the summer and early fall many of the kids come by themselves by bikes.Our practices are shorter, just 2,5 hours.

I miss the days of being able to drop off, go home, and pick up. We drive 50-80 minutes one way (depending on weather and traffic) now. I go to the library, but they close. The town is small, and other than restaurants and stores, there is little to do. last night, I had dinner with another gym mom which was fun. but really, I cannot afford to do that often. So I sit at the gym. This does NOT mean I am watching. Our gym has 2 sets of bleachers and 4 picnic tables for parents. In addition, there are 3 full floors so it is rather large.

The funny part is, the coaches will often ask me...did you see his x? The answer is almost always no.....missed it, I really do not watch! Last night we were finding containers since the hail storm clogged the gutters causing an overflow into the gym! LOL!

One day this week there was no one in the waiting room. I was even able to get a few minutes of the coaches time, which was great because with up training kicking up it was nice to hear how things were going or not.

I could of stayed. And I probably should of because the waiting room is rarely empty. But I opted to get my exercise in.

Now that CGM has moved on there is rarely anyone watching. While the team is warming up Rec classes are still going on and the waiting/viewing area is totally nuts. The only mom that stays is one of our new kids. She just moved from another gym. When she leaves her daughter cries and not just a couple she of tears full on hysterics. Usually the coaches would have zero tolerance for the boohooing but she's young, very talented and came from an abusive coach. They are giving her some time. I'm not so sure if the little girl likes gymnastics as much as her mom does but I guess time will tell. She is usually the only one sitting upstairs for 3 hour practices!!

I will sometimes bring work, but we have a party room and I will sit in there and enjoy peace and quiet. Typically only if it's bad weather and I'd spend an hour in traffic each way though.

Keep in mind that the question was what do the parents who travel a long way do or do I make exceptions. So every single parent who travels a long way has come from an existing program, meaning they are already a competitive JO gymnast. (people don't drive an hour to go to pre team usually, or not that I have experienced). All those parents were given our watching policy prior to joining team. So I can't say that i have really had many problems with that particular group. They all know the deal prior to joining team and that is usually that. But yes, during our meeting I will tell them about our surrounding area (which is beautiful) and things they can do. I am certain that the Library has come out of my mouth along with Barns and Noble, shopping and oh yea... the Beach is pretty awesome as well..

Oh my....if there was a beach near our gym, I would be in heaven! LOL!

Our gym has a 30 minute policy where we can watch for 30 minutes at the start and also at the end of practice, which someone mentioned earlier is just warm up and cool down anyway. Coming from a hockey/baseball background I am all for this and think it does wonders for the kids independence and responsibility to train without the parents around to distract them. Even if you aren't the type of parent to wave and give advice, a lot of kids still know you are there and will naturally want to constantly make sure you are watching. That said, I do sneak back a little early on occasion and hide in the back so I can see what my little one is working on. Don't tell coach!

My younger child (who is not on team) sometimes asks to go watch his sister. Most of the time he just plays or has me read to him, but he likes to check up on how his big sister is doing and copy her new beam and floor moves. [emoji23] He misses her! 3.5 hours is a long practice, and the two are quite close.

This. When I stayed for whole practices it was because it was a waste of gas money to drive home just to turn around and go back. With our commute it would've meant more hours driving than she trained, and she trained plenty.

But by trying to stay out of the gym altogether I ended up spending the money anyway. Food...shopping...movies. That wasn't a viable option for more than a couple days so I started just sitting in my car in the parking lot. That made me extra miserable and hastened me in forcing my DD to quit. Four hours in the car in 100+ degree weather will make you crazy.

It was just the idea that I would be looked at as a CGM if I sat in the blessed air conditioning of the gym everyday that kept me in the car.

My dd's gym doesn't have Ac!!!

I think gyms would be well served if they set up a semi comfortable parent room with wifi, tables and window to the gym.

I vote for nap pods

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back