WAG ways to heal rips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kassgymnast_

Gymnast
i got about a nickel sized rip on the bottom of my hand today, and i’m not quite sure how to heal it. I put on new skin and it was the most unbearable pain in my life, i couldn’t move my hand and it became terribly itchy. I then put some antibiotic cream on like i normally would. I haven’t had a rip in a while so i’m not sure how to treat it correctly and quickly?

Everyone has their fave remedies from Prep H to bag balm. Ours is a skin patch called Duoderm. You get it at the pharmacy - while OTC, it's often behind the counter. I read about it on a USAG website and found it works wonders. Seals the skin from infection, has something on the sticky side that keeps the wound moist and helps it heal, and provides a little cushion so that the gymnast can actually go back to bars without much discomfort. Good luck!

I used to soak a black tea bag in warm water for a bit and then tape it to my hand with neosporin on my rip overnight. That really helped it heal up fast! I would put an old sock with finger holes cut out over the tape and teabag too. I found that it was more comfortably that way.

The Duoderm is sticky, so it stays in place on its own. But we would tape over it or put a bandaid on top to make sure the edges didn't catch and peel.
Hope it helps.

My dd usually puts it on before bed and sleeps with it on. It's sticky so not sure if she tapes it or not. She has the little jelly things she puts on rips during practice that seem to help then. She does tape the jelly things on. (Can't remember what they are called but they were on Amazon too)

On a somewhat related note, my DD is really struggling with thick, painful callouses on her palms. Should we be using a pumice stone to file them down? Other tips or suggestions? One is starting to pull up at the edge... I feel like I should get ahead of this mess! Thnx

Definitely use a pumice stone. You might even have to use a straight clipper to trim the edge that is pulling up bc otherwise it could rip badly. We are also fans of Bag Balm at night to soften when there's such a build up. You don't want the skin too soft, so don't do it too often. Put some on (not too much) and wear socks to bed. That stuff is messy!

DD's coach recommeded a black tea bag that had been soaked in warm water. It definitely helped, but the rip wasn't too bad.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back