Parents We are devastated!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Oh Blackie, that stinks! This is my first day back from vacation and I come see your post!!!!

Curious as to what the other gyms were that you looked at. At your dd's lower level, I wouldn't be too concerned as long as she is getting good basics training. You do want a gym that will have 6/7 for sure. As for optionals when she gets there, you can always switch at that point, just make sure she is getting good basics..... ;)

I'm kind of shocked at your gym's fees, considering they had that big meet back in Jan and you guys hosted States too and JOGA States if I am correct. What's the point of hosting so many meets if the parents who put the time in don't seem to benefit from them???? :confused:

Update

Today was DD's last practice. Honestly, I can't stop crying and we both cried all the way home. I did not want to get charged for July tuition so I decided to make today the last one even though we have not made a comittment yet anywhere else. My DD cried "I don't want to leave and I don't want to go to (new gym name) I want to stay HERE", which didn't help my fragile state. She said good bye to coach and her teamate also said good bye since it was her last day too. Rest of team has already given their letters in, I was holding out and so was another mom. In owners defense he did come out with a revised option for tuition stay at current L5 rate w/increase in Nov and lesser meets, but everyone agree'd it was just too little too late. In making up the list of pros and cons...the other gym wins hands down. While we can all agree we love our coach, the increases over past two years made staying in comp level too expensive. Ironically our upper levels probably have the cheapest price in area and they just got some L8's or L9's form another area gym. We won't be there to reap the rewards later should DD make it that far which is sad. My eyeballs hurt and I can't stop bawling!

Thanks for all your advice...all of it was GREAT and what I needed to hear from all of you. I know in my heart life will go on and if she loved it at old gymj she will find her groove again in a new one. But biy today was just the worst! I will keep you all posted when we make final choice. I don't even know how to write letter to coach and gym owner...it is just too painful today.

You made the right decision. I know everything will work out. You took care of your family, and that's the important thing. Kids are resilient. She will adjust and love it at the new gym. If she ends up not liking th new gym, you always have another option at the other gym you had looked at. Smart decision and good luck.

Oh you poor pair, it must've been heartwrenching on so many levels. It will get better and you both will move on. In a few months DD will be settled in a new gym and you will find your groove with her. She is talented and loves gym, which means she will do well.

Aa shame the owner had to play games with you all, but he will lose many compulsory girls if he charges the highest prices and doesn't have the best reults. He4 cannot rely on compulsory parents to subsidise his optionals, in this economic climate I don't think any parents would be able to afford it.

You did make the right decision. Emotionally, it's just devastating, but it WILL get better from here on out! You may end up loving the new gym and coaches even more than the old ones! Good luck, be positive, it IS a change for the better!

Blackie, I've been following this thread since you first posted and I have a couple of questions for you.

1) Was the coach you said goodbye to the Level 4/5 coach?
2) Did that coach basically lose their whole group?

I am asking because, if that is the case, I would not be surprised if that coach decides to seek employment elsewhere. As a coach, I don't expect to agree 100% with the gym owner's or the parent's decisions. But, if a gym boss does something that causes a whole team to move, that would be a red-flag for a coach.

Maybe your daughters will find that coach in their new gym after all?

I'm so sorry. That's just so tough! Not much you could do though. Sounds like a lot of $ to me too! Sorry the owner and coach couldn't come up with a lower tuition but there you are. Changing gym was super duper hard for us too. My daughter cried for almost 3 months! I cried for at least a month. I loved our previous coach and the gym but we also were forced to change. In the end dd has really progressed in her skills and has made some new really great friends. It's not perfect at the new gym either but I know she's getting the training and has the equipment she needs to continue through optionals. Good luck in which ever gym you choose to move too. Don't worry it will all be better for you and your family soon. :)

Wish I could hand you some Kleenex---sounds like you were weeping just typing the update. Yes, you did need to walk away. Look at his timing for an increase in tuition---right around the holidays! Also by then the girls will be in meet seaon, so he probably figures nobody would walk away then. Boy would he have parents boxed in.

If you had stayed it sounds like dd might have been all by herself as a L5 and thats no fun. Since you haven't made a committment to any other gym, take the remainder of the week and go back to each. Make it an adventure for dd. I'll bet in a few days you'll have made up your mind and in a month or so, this will all be behind you and dd will be happy in a new place.

Who knows what prices and teams will be like when she's a L8 or so? This gym may be the right fit for you then, so it might just be farewell for now.

blackie, i've been following this thread since you first posted and i have a couple of questions for you.

1) was the coach you said goodbye to the level 4/5 coach?
2) did that coach basically lose their whole group?

I am asking because, if that is the case, i would not be surprised if that coach decides to seek employment elsewhere. As a coach, i don't expect to agree 100% with the gym owner's or the parent's decisions. But, if a gym boss does something that causes a whole team to move, that would be a red-flag for a coach.

Maybe your daughters will find that coach in their new gym after all?

very interesting point!!

Chalky,

I wasn't 100% sure who on the L5 team was staying or going until after we decided it was our last day, but I now know that it was all 6 girls. 4 have already notified new gym. Our DD and another want to try another gym before deciding by this weeks end. I kinow the coach did everything she could do for us in this situation. She has such a bond with the girls. But, there is one repeat L4 and a couple new ones coming on, as well as the old L5's that moved up to L6, so maybe it will be enough to hold her there since she will be doing all compulsarys now.

I still can't believe my daughter is done and I still feel like crying some more. Not being able to make your daughter happy just hurts, knowing that you can't even afford things hurts even more. We will probably still struggle some even w/new gym prices.Should have gone after Donald Trump years ago, LOL

Wow Blackie,
I am so sorry you had to go through this... Wow you pay a fortune.
I paid 255 last year for Emily at level 5 for 14 hours a week and that was a 40 dollar increase from their fees the year before because they decided that they hadn't raised their fees for like 10 years and upped all levels 40 dollars.
Madi was 127 for level 3.
Now at our new gym due to our move... I actually pay less for Emily for level 6 for 13 hours a week and pretty much exactly what I would pay for Madi at this gym which is 185 for level 4 for 9 hours a week.
WE have booster club fees and stuff too and I haven't found any of that out yet except I have a big monster fundraiser involving selling 2 tickets to a golf tournament at 110 a piece or we get billed for it regardless. I haven't been to a meeting with this booster club yet so I don't know all the ins and outs but we paid for their warm ups at 70 a piece just the other day and leos will be around the corner at 120 or so a piece... Coaches fees... I still haven't a clue and we only compete somewhere about 6 meets a year here.
Just let your daughter feel it out at both gyms before making your decision.
I am so sorry you have been having such a rough rough time.

Blackie, I'm not really supposed to be posting here, but I wanted to share something with you.

I'm guessing you are upset that your daughter is done with that gym and her coach right?
As a gymnast, I trained at 5 competitive gyms ranging between several weeks and several years at each. This was not because I was a gym-hopper, but because I had a unique set of circumstances that led me to many teams in search of sucess. At gym #3, I thought I had found MY gym, but I went from being one of the favored kids, to being completely ignored by the owner. I always had a wierd vibe about him, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I knew I didn't want to be alone with him, and years later I found out why. Not only was he extremely controlling in the gym, and with his own family, but he had been molesting members of the team for years!

I write this, certainly not suggesting that anything like this is going on at your old gym, but to remind gymmies, coaches and parents out there to pay attention to your gut feeling. So often, we get so caught up in the whole 'gymnastics world' that we forget that it is about the children's wellbeing first and foremost.

Your daughter is young and she will re-adjust, as long as she knows that mom is in her corner and loves her first as a human being and secondly for her accomplishments. Y'all will be OK!

Good luck with finding a new gym.

I really feel bad for your situation but the increase does seem crazy. It is good that you found out the increase at the begining of the summer so you can find a new gym prior to meet season. I am sure my daughters tuitition will increase but it was only 235/month last year but I will not find out until the end of summer. I am just shocked how the gym owner does not seem to care that most of the team is leaving. It just seems very sad. I still can not believe the costs of this sport. I wish you and your daughter the best of luck with the gym change (it does seem that most of the people here who change gyms adjust well).

Update us, how is your dd doing with the gym change? I hope that it all went well and she found the right fit for her. We would all love to hear how things are going. Sending you best wishes...

Funny that you brought up this post, I was just wondering how Blackie and her dd were doing myself.

Blackie - would love to hear an update if you get a chance! ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back