Weak arms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Busymum

Proud Parent
Hi all.

My little lady (6 years old) has been in our gyms development group for about 4 months now but they only practise for one hour a week at the moment. This is due to go up to 3 hours later in the year.

Today her coach mentioned that we need to build strength in her arms -- I can see why as she has such noodle like arms and needs a bit of a boost to do chin ups. I'm not too worried as many of the girls still need some support with these. She's coming on great with beam and floor skills.

Anyhow, how can I help her develop more of the arm strength needed for bars? Is it possible when she's only in one hour per week? Will it come with hour increase eventually??

What do you think?

She will get there eventually. General weight on hands play stuff will help build strength in her arms, bunny hops along the floor, monkey bars at the park, general rushing around stuff that six year olds do! Ask her coach if you're after a more specific/targeted program, but they might want you to leave it up to them

If she is keen get a door chin up bar. She can do chin ups (hands facing both ways) and leg lifts on it. Front support shape and handstands against a wall will also help. I am sure her coach can give you some ideas too. It is difficult to build up on one session a week so every other day at home would really help. You will start to see an improvement after about a week.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back