Off Topic Wedding Guest List

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CoachMeg

Coach
Hello everyone!

I'm getting married in about a year, and am starting to get into all the nitty-gritty details of wedding planning including reception venue, guest list, etc etc.

My question is...should I invite families from the gym that I am especially close to or do you think that would cause too much unnecessary drama/is not appropriate?

A lot of these families (specifically the moms), I have grown close to over the years and they have become invested in my relationship. My fiancé is in the military, so while he was on various deployments throughout the years, these particular families were so helpful and gracious when life just got hard.

Because of this, I want them to be a part of my big day; however, obviously their kids will have to come along as well. I really don't want this to cause issues because I will not be inviting the entire team lol. Some parents I simply never talk to other than a "hello" when they drop their child off for practice.

My non gym friends who are helping me wedding plan are all like, "It's your wedding! Invite who you want!" Which I agree with.... but I also don't want to upset anyone or God forbid, bring up any "favoritism" issues.

Thanks in advance!

I had a gym co-worker who extended an open invitation to the ceremony only. The ceremony was in a big church (plenty of room), and that way anyone from the gym who wanted to attend could. She, however, didn't invite gym families to the reception, because $$.

She literally sent it out over the team liststerv and posted it on the team bulletin board and the people who wanted to go, went - and the people who didn't want to do, didn't. No drama at all.

I had a gym co-worker who extended an open invitation to the ceremony only. The ceremony was in a big church (plenty of room), and that way anyone from the gym who wanted to attend could. She, however, didn't invite gym families to the reception, because $$.

She literally sent it out over the team liststerv and posted it on the team bulletin board and the people who wanted to go, went - and the people who didn't want to do, didn't. No drama at all.

That is a great idea; however, I don't think the church we are going with will fit everyone in the gym + my guests! haha. The church isn't small by any means, but it's not huge either. We are already inviting approximately 200 people not including gym people. I was thinking maybe 20-25 gym people (coaches + a few families). If I opened it to the entire gym, I'd have to account for possibly 100 more people. Not that they would all show up lol, but even if half did, I don't know if we'd all fit! lol

If you want to avoid drama, you could invite the moms you are close to without inviting the kids. You certainly have a right to invite whoever you want, but I can see hurt feelings if some girls are invited and not others.
I like this idea, and i agree, I wouldn't invite the kids. That way, it is more cut and dry. And congrats!

I think if you're friends with them outside the gym it would be fine to invite them. I think you should probably let them know though that the whole team isn't invited, to avoid any awkward exchanges.
I agree... And I would send the invitation with a note explaining that you aren't inviting everyone.
If you are allowing other guests to bring children, let the families that you invite bring theirs.
It is your wedding, do what you want :)

Inviting adults you have connections with and not inviting other adults shouldn't be a problem. But if you decide to include some team kids you coach and not others, be prepared. When those team kids that got to attend your wedding talk about it at practice, there will be hurt feelings.

Invite whomever you wish!
Though I would make it a hand delivered invite and let them know it's not all the moms. Avoid awkwardness if it comes up in convo and just have them say I haven't heard.

Just a note of caution, although I agree with only inviting who you want, but with social media, be aware that those that weren't invited will know and still could have drama/hurt feelings.

How big is the team you coach? What percent of the girls you coach would probably be invited (e.g., coming with your mom friends) vs. not invited?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back