weight

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi,

There has been a lot of talk about weight lately on this board, and it's fine but it does not matter what your height is. Everyone has an individual healthy weight and in order for you to know that you need to speak with a nutritionist. Please do not go and try and lose weight because someone tells you that you need to be 110 or 130.... weight is just a number. You need to be sure you are getting the nutrients that will help you become the best gymnast you can be.

I agree with TDiver. Don't let anyone but a qualified nutritionist or doctor try to tell you what you "should" weigh. Being healthy is what is most important. If your coach or anyone else at your gym is checking on your weight, switch to a different gym. Immediately. Please.

I agree too-you should not let anyone telling you how much you should weigh. Being healthy is what is important. Remember muscle weighs more than fat, and as a gymnast you will have more muscle than another 5' 3" individual, so you may be heavier-and definitely in better shape!!!

yup I agree with the others here don't get stuck on the numbers. its just a number. Tallk to a nutritionist and your doctor and see what they think it "HEALTHY" for you and what makes you feel good.

The same can be said about clothing size wear what fits don't worry about the size again its just a number.

dont worry about your weight. everyone is different. for example, me and my friend, a former gymnast, are both the same height-about 5'2. but i weigh much more than her, probably more than 20 pounds. so everyone is defferent.

I agree with everyone!

Because you are a gymnast, YOU have muscle!
So you could be the same height and age as your friend but you could be a good 20 or more pounds heavier, because you have MUSCLE! And NOTHING is wrong with that!

yeah i agree with summit--- i am also a gymnast (5'3" too LOL!) and some of my friends who are only like 2 inches shorter weigh in the 70-80 zone (they are healthy though!) and i weigh in high nineties to low hundreds! it always makes me feel kinda weird but then think about the stuff you can do that they can't! :D:D:D

Don't worry about weight to much. My daughter is the biggest in her group, has always been the biggest since birth. She has always been 90-95% in weight since birth. It's how you are build. Of course my daughter has realized the girls are all 20lbs less than her (same age, but she is the tallest) and she has to be even a little stronger, which just makes her work harder. She by far does not look heavy or need to lose weight she is just built bigger.
Don't worry unless your Doctor says.

Banned for being underage.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends entirely on your body type, composition, and a host of other things.

I think the idea of an "ideal weight" for a particular height is misguided.

well im 5 foot and i think im overweight cuz i am 94 pounds!

Oh MY your not even close to overweight!! How old are you?
My DD's friends are all about 12yo like her - DD is a considered underweitght at 74 lbs. Her girl friends range from 90lbs to 140lbs. their heights range from 4'9 - 5'6. and all are considered with in normal limits for their body types and height. don't get stuck on a number on the scale. Go to your DR and a nutritionist and get the scoop on what is a realistic weight range for you.

To addictedtogym ~

You are not overweight! My dd just turned 12. She is only 4' 10 and weighs 100 lbs. She is really proud because she knows that muscle weighs more. She is fit, healthy and eats very good food.

Be proud of you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back