Members see FEWER ads

D

Dani

Hello! This is a question about weight!

1. Do you ever get pressured about your weight for gymn
(by coaches other gymnasts parents)

2. Have you ever been told to lose weight

3. Do you have been/know anyone who is in gymn
that has an eating disorder (belimia anerexia)
(im not saying all gymnasts have a eating disorder
just wondering because im been looking at some stuff
about girls who are into gymn and getting an eating disorder because of it)

Finaly ive put this in the general so parents, coaches and
gymnasts themselves can post about this topic!

P.s im not trying to offend anyone!

1. no
2. no
3. no
(i have been told to gain weight though) lol (and asked if i have an eating disorder)
Simple enough (your one of thoes lucky people who are
proberly a light weight but look ok!)

P.S I dont know if its in england or something
(where I come from) But at the moment
its big in the gymns at the moment cause all
the girls are losing drastic weight
I was the heviest girl at the summer camp
and im a average weight!

We don't talk about weight in our gym, but we do talk about diet and proper eating. The last thing I want to do is make a 8-15 yr old girl self conscious about their body type.

I am 19 and want to go back to competitive gym after not doing it for 2years and just coaching. However, I know I dont have the body for it anymore and compared to the other competitive kids I look very heavy (although I know I am not 'fat' I'm 19 and 5ft 1, weighing 49Kg not sure what that is in pounds though). I am conscious that I no longer have tummy muscles, muscle in my legs etc and I am not as confident in summer in my bikini anymore, because I was used to having a great body while I did gym.
Gymnastics does make you feel that way... at our gym though we have kids of all shapes and sizes and are not selective, but we are also not an elite gym.
I do feel like I am overweight when I am in the gym though, they are all so muscly and skinny and small, and I am completely not a self conscious person, when I'm not out I am confident in my body, its only in the gym that I'm not.
Maybe I'm just jelous the girls I used to train with are still there and still have their great gym bodies? lol

Yes but im a little bit podgy and im
worried the rest of the girls will make
fun of me when im in a leotard!
I can wear shorts in the gymn and everything
but when I start going to comps I will have
to show the fat tops of my legs and
that gives me great anxiety!

exact same as maddiekate. It does make me feel really uncomfortable when people talk about how thin I am, especially guys. I'm really not obnoxiously skinny or anything.

exact same as maddiekate. It does make me feel really uncomfortable when people talk about how thin I am, especially guys. I'm really not obnoxiously skinny or anything.
Lets just say this I wish I had your figure!

Lets just say this I wish I had your figure!

Sometimes I really love it, but other times it's a pain. I was in eigth grade before I could start buying pants from the junior section, and in ninth before I got out of child-sized swimsuits!

Sometimes I really love it, but other times it's a pain. I was in eigth grade before I could start buying pants from the junior section, and in ninth before I got out of child-sized swimsuits!

Do you think the gymnastics will help me with my weight
issue? I have also been in small adults clothes because
of my hips since the age of 8! Im not fat im normal
but into days world that meens im obese
(even though im not)

It will probably help some. You just have a different body type. Also, I don't know how you eat currently, but the harder I'm working at gymnastics, the less junk I eat because I'm finding out how great my body is and I have a lot of respect for it. You'll probably gain a bit of muscle, which will make your number for weight go up, but you'll still be slimmer. Muscle weighs more than fat. For example, everyone always guesses that I weigh between 105-110, when I really weigh 118, because I'm so muscular.

It will probably help some. You just have a different body type. Also, I don't know how you eat currently, but the harder I'm working at gymnastics, the less junk I eat because I'm finding out how great my body is and I have a lot of respect for it. You'll probably gain a bit of muscle, which will make your number for weight go up, but you'll still be slimmer. Muscle weighs more than fat. For example, everyone always guesses that I weigh between 105-110, when I really weigh 118, because I'm so muscular.
I have a strict meal plan because ive had some problem
with anerexia before I will only one junk dinner a week
says my mum wich is chicken and some chips!
I mostley eat loads of salad I basicly live on it!
Its just I cant seem to lose lots of weight!

Any cardio? Because if you really do want to lose weight it's important. It can be walking, running, or fun things like Zumba (latin dance mix. It's a BLAST!), rollerblading, bike riding, or other aerobic/dance classes. I'm really into spinning right now. It's a class with high-intensity cylcling on special stationary bikes. I even did a kiddie triathalon at the y. It was 3 miles running, 1 mile swimming, and then 20 miles biking. It was a challenge, but super fun!

Any cardio? Because if you really do want to lose weight it's important. It can be walking, running, or fun things like Zumba (latin dance mix. It's a BLAST!), rollerblading, bike riding, or other aerobic/dance classes. I'm really into spinning right now. It's a class with high-intensity cylcling on special stationary bikes. I even did a kiddie triathalon at the y. It was 3 miles running, 1 mile swimming, and then 20 miles biking. It was a challenge, but super fun!
I do iceskating (used to do competetive)
I do Ballroom and latin
I have done spinning and I agree it fun!
I also do sit ups and im trying to learn
how to do handstand pressups!

weight

I have never heard anyone from my daughter's gym talk about a gymnast's weight. But, I can share a story: When I was 12 years old, about 30 years ago, I was taking a gymnastics class at what was considered at that time the best place in town. I remember this like it was yesterday. I was vaulting, and the instructor told me that I would be a better gymnast if I would lose weight. I was mortified! She then asked me what kinds of snacks I ate at night time and suggested that I cut down. I will never forget how bad I felt about myself, and I shouldn't have because I was always very small for my age. Just goes to show that a remark like that will stay with a girl for over 30 years! By the way, I am still underweight for my height.

I have never heard anyone from my daughter's gym talk about a gymnast's weight. But, I can share a story: When I was 12 years old, about 30 years ago, I was taking a gymnastics class at what was considered at that time the best place in town. I remember this like it was yesterday. I was vaulting, and the instructor told me that I would be a better gymnast if I would lose weight. I was mortified! She then asked me what kinds of snacks I ate at night time and suggested that I cut down. I will never forget how bad I felt about myself, and I shouldn't have because I was always very small for my age. Just goes to show that a remark like that will stay with a girl for over 30 years! By the way, I am still underweight for my height.

I would of never thought it would have happend 30 years ago
Aka This is why im neverous if girls make fun of my figure!

The only time weight has ever come up as an issue at my gym was for the rhythmic gymnastics team. I have had teammates that are belimic (spelling on that word), and I know it's hard for them to get away from it.

The only time weight has ever come up as an issue at my gym was for the rhythmic gymnastics team. I have had teammates that are belimic (spelling on that word), and I know it's hard for them to get away from it.

When It was hard for me about my weight this girl
tried to make me go belimic but I did not have the
gag reflex so I went anerexic for about 6 months
I didnt get majour bad but I started to lose
my energy and not be able to do gymn so I decided
on day I would stop and ive been eating normal since!

Other sports where weight is a big issue:wrestling!!! I know guys on the team at my HS and during season they eat next to nothing and run all the time in sweats just to make weight. TRACK. My friend's brother is a bean pole and his track coaches told him if he lost 11 pounds, he could take 14 seconds off his mile(which is a big deal for time) That is a lot of weight for someone to lose. So at least gymnasts aren't the only ones....the coaches at our gym are actually trying to get some of the girls to gain a few pounds.

Other sports where weight is a big issue:wrestling!!! I know guys on the team at my HS and during season they eat next to nothing and run all the time in sweats just to make weight. TRACK. My friend's brother is a bean pole and his track coaches told him if he lost 11 pounds, he could take 14 seconds off his mile(which is a big deal for time) That is a lot of weight for someone to lose. So at least gymnasts aren't the only ones....the coaches at our gym are actually trying to get some of the girls to gain a few pounds.

If one persons ever says to me in my life you need to
gain weight then I will be a very happy person!

And in figure skating you need to be very thin
if you do pairs so the guy can lift you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back