WAG Weird full turn question for judges?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ReluctantGymMom

Proud Parent
If there’s any judges here or anyone who knows the answer to this;

Our beam coach has worked like dozens of ways to do a full turn with my daughter, she settled on coupe (sp) and it’s… a work in progress. She’s happy because she’s landing them all now. BUT we noticed that her foot that is up in coupe is actually flexing so it’s…sort of grazing the beam??

It very much looks like it is touching the beam. She knows it, she said she’s slowing herself down to not fly off, but her coach was like “yeah I really don’t know how judges are going to judge that”.

She’s on high releve on her turning foot, and I didn’t think you could physically turn if both feet are touching the beam, so I don’t know what deductions I’m looking for lol

Is there any way you could get a video of this? If both feet are touching the beam, then it wouldn't get credit as a full turn. The wording in the code of points is "a minimum of a 1/1 turn on one foot", so if it isn't done entirely on one foot, it does not meet this requirement and would be a decrease in start value to a 9.5. If the coupe foot touches, and then comes back up, the judges could call it a fall (0.5 tenths), and also take it out of the start value for not meeting the requirements.

If, on the other hand, it clearly does not actually touch, it would probably just be a 0.05-0.1 for the foot not being pointed.

I coach Xcel gold, and let me tell you, there are more tears over the full turn on beam, than there are on any other skill. We use the 1/2 turn to immediate pivot turn as one of our favorite training tools on this, as well as 1/4, 1/2, and full snap turns.

Is there any way you could get a video of this? If both feet are touching the beam, then it wouldn't get credit as a full turn. The wording in the code of points is "a minimum of a 1/1 turn on one foot", so if it isn't done entirely on one foot, it does not meet this requirement and would be a decrease in start value to a 9.5. If the coupe foot touches, and then comes back up, the judges could call it a fall (0.5 tenths), and also take it out of the start value for not meeting the requirements.

If, on the other hand, it clearly does not actually touch, it would probably just be a 0.05-0.1 for the foot not being pointed.

I coach Xcel gold, and let me tell you, there are more tears over the full turn on beam, than there are on any other skill. We use the 1/2 turn to immediate pivot turn as one of our favorite training tools on this, as well as 1/4, 1/2, and full snap turns.
I’ll try to get a video today or Saturday when they do a beam clinic - I’ve only seen beam once when they’re worked full turns and thought hmm that looks weird lol but no ones telling her she’s doing it wrong, so I’m obviously not going to correct her. But she said her coach also thinks it looks weird.

The foot that is up is most definetly NOT pointing. She’s keeping it verrrry flexed, very close to the beam.

In her own words, she’s just “grazing” the beam as she turns so she can slow herself down and stop. I don’t know if she’s “grazing” the entire time or like she has foot flexed to step down quickly.

It is very difficult to break her out of any habits she forms so I feel bad for her coach

We have a saying at our gym. What do you call a Gold without a full turn on beam? A really good Silver.
This made myself (silver head coach, gold vault and bars coach), and our gold beam coach laugh so hard! I actually do have a few silvers every year who compete beautiful full turns but beyond that, it's the biggest struggle moving from silver to gold, besides maybe vault for the little guys.

I’ll try to get a video today or Saturday when they do a beam clinic - I’ve only seen beam once when they’re worked full turns and thought hmm that looks weird lol but no ones telling her she’s doing it wrong, so I’m obviously not going to correct her. But she said her coach also thinks it looks weird.

The foot that is up is most definetly NOT pointing. She’s keeping it verrrry flexed, very close to the beam.

In her own words, she’s just “grazing” the beam as she turns so she can slow herself down and stop. I don’t know if she’s “grazing” the entire time or like she has foot flexed to step down quickly.

It is very difficult to break her out of any habits she forms so I feel bad for her coach
I know you said her coach has worked with her a lot, and that you don't know exactly what they're doing, but all of our kids turn in passe and have found it actually helps them. It would at least make it clear whether or not her foot is touching. Beyond that, work a 1/2 turn to immediate pivot turn is our go-to training tool. When you're doing it well, the full turn comes pretty easily after that.

I know you said her coach has worked with her a lot, and that you don't know exactly what they're doing, but all of our kids turn in passe and have found it actually helps them. It would at least make it clear whether or not her foot is touching. Beyond that, work a 1/2 turn to immediate pivot turn is our go-to training tool. When you're doing it well, the full turn comes pretty easily after that.
All the optionals work half turn drills. Turning is legit a struggle - she has super sweaty feet so she’s either getting stuck to the beam or flying off it (working on finding solutions to this). In passé the full turn wasn’t happening.

I looked at it this weekend with her coach - her foot was pretty clearly off the beam, but it is very much not pointed. She’s flexing it to prepare to step forward and her coach is like… okay, she’s ending correctly now (for months she would only step backwards), and she’s landing on the actual beam.

I have def seen this full turn look a whole lot more like her other foot is touching the beam though, so it looks iffy.

Beam is not going to be where she scores high, so we’ll take deductions as long as the skill itself counts and she’s not falling lol - she makes up for her beam score on her other events

My DD says sweaty feet = more chalk. Don't know the truth in that but you may as well try it!
Ha! It’s not physically possible to put on more chalk at this point (she’s literally dipping her feet in the chalk and then rubbing a chalk block on them between each turn. We’re using carpe to control some of the sweating and hopefully I’ll remember to ask her pediatrician about it next time we see him. I think the last time she tried to step onto a beam without doing anything about the sweat was nearly a year ago, was doing cartwheels and in the span of like 3 minutes split the beam twice and smacked her face into a beam after the second time.

Ha! It’s not physically possible to put on more chalk at this point (she’s literally dipping her feet in the chalk and then rubbing a chalk block on them between each turn. We’re using carpe to control some of the sweating and hopefully I’ll remember to ask her pediatrician about it next time we see him. I think the last time she tried to step onto a beam without doing anything about the sweat was nearly a year ago, was doing cartwheels and in the span of like 3 minutes split the beam twice and smacked her face into a beam after the second time.
Beam/Gym shoes might be your best option.

Hmm... one of my daughters swears by her beam shoes - wears them out faster than I can buy them, and another goes with tons of chalk - and beam shoes. Most of the team wear them on one foot for turns.
Tell ur DD to start a new trend! I think its actually healthier for the toes

I think so too…

The hard part is convincing a 9 year old when no one else in the team wears them
Can you speak with the coach and get the idea of shoes to come from the coach? I have had many parents over the years who quietly asked me to make a 'suggestion' as they know the child will be on board if it comes from the coach :rolleyes:
Not sure if this is another negative reflection on the culture in our sport - that kids need 'permission' from a coach to do what is required to be safe. An example of this was warming up with runners on per physio instructions for injury management.

Can you speak with the coach and get the idea of shoes to come from the coach? I have had many parents over the years who quietly asked me to make a 'suggestion' as they know the child will be on board if it comes from the coach :rolleyes:
Not sure if this is another negative reflection on the culture in our sport - that kids need 'permission' from a coach to do what is required to be safe. An example of this was warming up with runners on per physio instructions for injury management.
I was just talking to her coach yesterday about this :) she brought up the beam shoe to me when we were discussing full turns because my daughter told her she kept slipping off the side of the beam when she landed. She feels a lot more comfortable with the idea if her coach brought it up so now I’m on the hunt for the “least obvious” one possible because she doesn’t want to look like she’s wearing something lol

a suggestion , I do not work for Capezio or Discount dance

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back