Weird Vaulting Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My question is in regard to a method being used to work on tsuk vaulting at our gym. My dd is a level 8 and already does tsuks in competition. When I went to pick her up after practice one day I noticed there was a very large mat directly under the vault (where you would land). It is a 20" think mat (or more). The top of the matt comes up to the bottom of the back of the vault (note that my daughter vaults at a low setting because she is tiny). When I watched the practice none of the girls using that setting could land the vault since the mat was so high up they had no time to rotate and touch down. I asked my dd about this, and she said they did it again yesterday. She said she is afraid to vault like that since she keeps landing funny (like almost on her face). She has no problem landing them regularly (at gym, or in competition). I asked if the taller girls (whose setting is higher) is using the mat. She said yes, but they can land it better becuase there is more distance to from the vault to this thick mat.

My question is, is this normal training? Is this maybe to try and have them get more height on the tsuk? I am concerned that she is going to get hurt. Also, this is not building fear into a girl who had no fear before doing them.

Can someone perhaps enlighten me??

hmm. the only thing I can think of is the coach is wanting them to flip higher so that when he takes the mat away the vault will be a piece of cake :eek:. our coach does that on basicly every event. mosly floor though.

My question is in regard to a method being used to work on tsuk vaulting at our gym. My dd is a level 8 and already does tsuks in competition. When I went to pick her up after practice one day I noticed there was a very large mat directly under the vault (where you would land). It is a 20" think mat (or more). The top of the matt comes up to the bottom of the back of the vault (note that my daughter vaults at a low setting because she is tiny). When I watched the practice none of the girls using that setting could land the vault since the mat was so high up they had no time to rotate and touch down. I asked my dd about this, and she said they did it again yesterday. She said she is afraid to vault like that since she keeps landing funny (like almost on her face). She has no problem landing them regularly (at gym, or in competition). I asked if the taller girls (whose setting is higher) is using the mat. She said yes, but they can land it better becuase there is more distance to from the vault to this thick mat.

My question is, is this normal training? Is this maybe to try and have them get more height on the tsuk? I am concerned that she is going to get hurt. Also, this is not building fear into a girl who had no fear before doing them.

Can someone perhaps enlighten me??

It's called "uploading",it's perfectly acceptable, quite common, and it shouldn't matter how tall your daughter is.

Unless you want your daughter to do a tsuk and never vault beyond that, then she needs to be pushed to go higher and rotate faster.

Thank you....I feel better now. I did assume that was the case (to get them to vault higher). I appreciate your input.

We used to do the same thing all the time. As lannamavity said, it is quite common. We actually used to stack the mats way above the height of the vault then do timers onto the mat stack. It was amazing how much better our vaults were after we went back to doing it with the regular mats.

Thanks hammy. I did believe lannamivity in the email I read above. I actually thought that was what was happening. I even mentioned that to my dd when she said she didn't know why they were doing it. My first thought was.....they are trying to get you to vault higher...and thus eventually have a better vault and be ready to do double backs or layouts, etc. I dan't wait to see her this weekend when she competes. I hope to see even more improvement!

Thanks for confirming!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back