Parents Well, How did Everyone's Kids do At States?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As to the judging...it is so hard. I know we see/feel the bias at almost every meet, and almost everyone talks about it. But, the kids, they don't seem to care. DS just takes it as he has to work that much harder now. And our coach put it best when he said the judges are hard on us....we should take it as a compliment. When I thought about that, it really made sense to me ;)

(as a side note, I have the idea for a judges exchange program where judges from different states swap and go do states/regionals with kids they don't know and have never seen....sounds like fun to me ;))

Good luck to those who still have states! We are preparing for regionals!

Congrats to your DS on a great state meet! And I love that idea about the judging trading. Wonder what kind of scores some teams would see then??

Our little Peanut had a fantastic meet. We considered this a transition year as we moved from TX to WA with the new gym and new coaching. She started getting stronger as the year went on so we are very happy with her progress. She took 2nd AA in Level 7 Child A, 1st on Beam with a 9.7, 2nd on bars with a 9.45, tied for 4th on floor with a 9.6, and 4th on vault with a 9.25. So it was a wonderful weekend for her and her teammates.

Our little Peanut had a fantastic meet. We considered this a transition year as we moved from TX to WA with the new gym and new coaching. She started getting stronger as the year went on so we are very happy with her progress. She took 2nd AA in Level 7 Child A, 1st on Beam with a 9.7, 2nd on bars with a 9.45, tied for 4th on floor with a 9.6, and 4th on vault with a 9.25. So it was a wonderful weekend for her and her teammates.

Sounds like she had a great meet! Congrats to her!!

Just want to say congrats to all the girls who competed at their state meets this weekend! It's been a few months since DD's state meet and season finished, so I am enjoying hearing the reports.

I remember chatting with you as you made your decision. I'm glad AGC has been successful for you. Those are great scores.

Congrats to all who competed state this past weekend. Sounds like there is lots to be proud of.

It was a great state meet weekend here. The L9's and 10's from dd's gym were state team champs again this year which was great news. DD competed xcel and had her best meet ever. Usually there's always something every meet that gives her trouble, but this weekend she was very consistent with no falls or major mistakes. Seeing her hard work on vault and bars finally pay off was enough for me. The fact that she came in 3rd AA with personal bests on more than one event was icing on the cake.

She was very excited to go to practice today to start working the "fun" stuff with no more routines for a while. :)

mom2brats--I hate it when judging appears so biased like that! Congrats to your daughter on a great routine anyway. Sounds like she'll be off to level 8 next year?

Well, it is what it is and at least we ended the season with her feeling like she did her best. Yes, on to level 8 next year! She's very excited. She already has or is very, very close to having all of her skills so she should have plenty of time to get comfortable with them before January. And she's really excited to be free of competition for a while!!

I have to say what happened to my DD is a little out of the norm and I am a proud Momma for her. Shestarted on bars and rocked it. Then came vault, she is known as the “vault queenâ€￾ at the gym so as you can imagine I wasbreathing easy right? Well 1 vault was awful! 2 Attempt she falls on her rear and back. Still pops up smiles and salutes. She did not even place, however because she hadnever had to deal with disaster before she just shrugged it off rocked thefloor and rocked the beam. Over all she ended up with 2 All Around. More than that, she learned oneof the most valuable lessons in life IMO. She never gave up and made all of herother points count. 1 Place AA would have been nice but I will proudly take a 2 AA with lesson well learned!!

Then came vault, she is known as the “vault queen” at the gym so as you can imagine I wasbreathing easy right? Well 1 vault was awful! 2 Attempt she falls on her rear and back. Still pops up smiles and salutes. She did not even place, however because she hadnever had to deal with disaster before she just shrugged it off rocked thefloor and rocked the beam.

I love it! Great attitudes are great to watch. My little one always smiles as big for a 5th place finish as she does for a 1st. I love kids that compete like that. And congrats to your daughter on a great AA and a lesson learned.

Just saw this thread. I did post how my dd did on the thread that I originally started about States last week, but thought I'd also post here. Dd had her State meet this past Sunday! It was a fantastic day... She ended up taking 2nd on vault and 5th on beam & floor. She is also the bars and AA State Champion. She broke the bars State record with a 9.675! She spent the rest of Sunday on cloud 9, but as of Monday, it's been back to work! She's now focusing on Regionals!

Like I always say to my dd, whether you come in 1st place or last, it's just one meet and you have to go back into the gym and work just as hard the next day - can't slack off!

Congrats to all! What a weekend. Both my DDs made it to regionals, L10 and L8. I could not get over the scores at the L8 meet, my DD was in the 8-11 age group and the 12 year olds were in the same session. There were some amazing girls there. My DD placed 13th with a 36.6 and a 9.45 on bars placed her at 9th. Both are excited for Regionals though!!

crazygymmom, Looks like our daughters will be competing together at regionals :)

Congrats to all! What a weekend. Both my DDs made it to regionals, L10 and L8. I could not get over the scores at the L8 meet, my DD was in the 8-11 age group and the 12 year olds were in the same session. There were some amazing girls there. My DD placed 13th with a 36.6 and a 9.45 on bars placed her at 9th. Both are excited for Regionals though!!

crazygymmom, Looks like our daughters will be competing together at regionals :)

Congrats to your DD's!

Congrats to all the kids who went out, did their best, and smiled when it was over this weekend. Congrats to all the parents who drove, cheered and supported.

Our daughter also had her state meet this weekend.

Positives:
-I made it to the meet with plenty of time to spare and have few moments with her before she went to warm up. [Being a physician sometimes has drawbacks and I had to work a fun ED shift the afternoon before her meet so I couldn’t leave with the rest of the family.]
-Our oldest daughter did an amazing job with her hair [plus bonus sister bonding time which is always good].
-Her teammates [who competed in a different L10 session] came or stayed to watch her compete.
-Her bars rocked. One of the other coaches who had girls in her rotation even complimented her.
-Her coach says her vault was the best he has seen her do. Plus she pulled herself together and did this after her struggles on floor.
-She earned state championships in individual apparati [I think that is the correct plural--maybe it isn’t].
-She qualified for regionals!
-They got crowns for winning which our two year old thinks is the coolest thing ever [at least for the next day or so]. [Ok, I’m not sure I really like the idea of crowns but I like her giving the crowns to her little sister and their mutual admiration society vibe.]

Less Positive Moments:
-Floor continues to be a struggle for her. I suppose I should have anticipated this because life is harder [we just went through another attempt at TPR and the biological parent who is fighting this is still pulling out all the stops so it didn‘t go through].
-We were approached by a coach from another gym who couldn’t wait to tell us how she clearly lost because of her floor score [mathematically that isn’t exactly true because if she had scored a few tenths higher on any other apparatus I guess she would have won the all around in spite of her floor anyway] and that her routine is poorly designed and doesn’t even give her a chance. [We’re at a point where we truly trust her HC to do what is best for her. The routine she currently has is probably the best routine for her at the moment although I don’t really feel like explaining the whys of that to random coaches in our state.]

LMV - Glad to hear that your dd qualified to Regionals and earned a few State Titles in the process! Good luck at Regionals now...

Good meets for both DD!
DD1 (level 10)
Started on bars and had one of the better routines this year....9.275 1st
Beam.....did I mention she really, really dislikes beam....8.75 with a fall. :(
Floor...nailed her double pike and even gave the judges a smile......9.2
Vault....9.175
AA 2nd to her teammate who is a senior this year!

DD2 (level 7)
She started on beam....9.4 (1st) Really pretty routine. I enjoy watching her on beam.
Floor.....9.4 One of the best routines I have seen her do this year.
Vault....nice vault 9.125
Bars....she made every giant in warm up.....not so much the one in competition. 8.35. She did hop back on the bar and make the next giant...oh well...
AA 36.275 and 4th.

All in all it was a good meet for both my girls and it is on to regionals for 1 and hopefully level 8 for the other.

Awesome job!!!! Way to go!!!! Tell her congrats!! So happy for her!!:)

Just saw this thread. I did post how my dd did on the thread that I originally started about States last week, but thought I'd also post here. Dd had her State meet this past Sunday! It was a fantastic day... She ended up taking 2nd on vault and 5th on beam & floor. She is also the bars and AA State Champion. She broke the bars State record with a 9.675! She spent the rest of Sunday on cloud 9, but as of Monday, it's been back to work! She's now focusing on Regionals!

Like I always say to my dd, whether you come in 1st place or last, it's just one meet and you have to go back into the gym and work just as hard the next day - can't slack off!

Flipper spent 7 months of last year in casts after breaking first one foot and then the other. Battled back and did one meet this year before getting pneumonia and missing 2 meets. She was finally healthy and had a great state meet. 2nd on floor with a 9.575, 1st vault 9.6, 1st beam 9.8, 1st bars 9.65 for an AA of 38.625. She also qualified for Regionals. She says all the hard work to get back in competition form is worth it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back