Parents Well, my saga continues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dd2 thinks she wants to go back to the gym! And a month ago I'd have been thinking, "yeah, baby!" but let's just say I got used to no gym real darn fast. Don't miss the 8 trips a week across town (I'm not a parent who is willing to hang out for a 4-4.5 hour practice). Don't miss the tuition. Dd2, however, after her month off, is missing the activity. Our school system has no extra-curriculars until high school, so it's not like things will get better for her when school starts.

Dd2 already contacted her coach and can hop right back into her lvl 8 training. Guess I better call the gym and find out about uniforms as it's order time (compulsories have a fall season, so the team orders in the summer, even though the optionals won't compete until spring).

Just told dd2 to think real hard about why she wanted to leave (never did get a concrete answer from her). If it was because she never had time for anything because she had something every day after school (if not gym, then confirmation class)---well, that situation hadn't changed.

Can she go back for a week before you have to order anything? The reason I say this is that one of my dd's best friends quit back in December. About a month after that she wanted to go back - went back for a few days and then decided she really did want to quit after all and hasn't looked back since. I have a feeling it will probably be different with yours though - it sounds like she was doing so well. Let us know how it all goes. These kids will drive you to drink sometimes though won't they ;)

Can she go back for a week before you have to order anything? The reason I say this is that one of my dd's best friends quit back in December. About a month after that she wanted to go back - went back for a few days and then decided she really did want to quit after all and hasn't looked back since. I have a feeling it will probably be different with yours though - it sounds like she was doing so well. Let us know how it all goes. These kids will drive you to drink sometimes though won't they ;)

Talked to the owner. She's ordering today, but since dd2 wouldn't compete until spring, I can borrow her younger daughter's jacket if dd2 needs one. The leo and pants should still fit.

I fear it will be different with my dd2 as well. She was picking up skills like crazy when she left in May. She competed the clear hip handstand already as a 7 and was working front giants and giant fulls when we left. She is an awesome bar worker. She was landing BTs on beam, too. Kind of surprising since beam is where she struggles.

You know, I love the gym; I guess I just didn't realize how much I would like not having the hassle that goes with it. I really can't give dd2 any advice. I'd love to see her go back, and then again I wouldn't. Looks like I don't need my kids to drive me to drink. I'm doing it all by myself.

How many months has your DD been out? In a situation where the gymnast has been out for a while how long does it take them to be up to the same level of skills as they were before? Could this cause frustration if they get discouraged that they can't do the same skills as they were doing months before?

How many months has your DD been out? In a situation where the gymnast has been out for a while how long does it take them to be up to the same level of skills as they were before? Could this cause frustration if they get discouraged that they can't do the same skills as they were doing months before?

She left end of May. If she starts back Monday, she'll have been out 5 weeks.

Nope, never saw that one coming (wink) guess you better not plan that Disney trip just yet mom, LOL, you'll be trading mouse ears in for leotards again.

Guess you'll just have to stay with us afterall!

Nope, never saw that one coming (wink) guess you better not plan that Disney trip just yet mom, LOL, you'll be trading mouse ears in for leotards again.

Guess you'll just have to stay with us afterall!

Too Late! We leave on the 30th. Bought that tickets back in March when the girls both announced their intentions to leave.

I would have her commit to compete through season if she restarts. It is tough on gymnast, family and the team when they are in and out. If she wants to quit again, then it should be after her season. Big financial commitment.

Dd1 goes back Monday. Here I go again.

The owner knows she is waffling and is fine with a month by month commitment until school gets going. I'm not going to make her commit to the season right now because I lived through that hell last year with dd1--she had no idea how different high school was going to be. By the time the stress reached the level where she had some rather serious physical side effects, she was competing and she would not stop. If dd2 gets half way through September and realizes she's got too much on her plate, I've got no problem walking away. I figure I'm out what I had to pay OOP in team fees, less than $200 because I have money in my fundraising account, which I wouldn't get back anyway. She had her time in the gym, so the tuition was well-spent.

Now, let's just juggle that family budget. Won't be as bad as it was because dd1 is still done and her school activities don't cost near what the gym did.

Dd1 goes back Monday. Here I go again.

The owner knows she is waffling and is fine with a month by month commitment until school gets going. I'm not going to make her commit to the season right now because I lived through that hell last year with dd1--she had no idea how different high school was going to be. By the time the stress reached the level where she had some rather serious physical side effects, she was competing and she would not stop. If dd2 gets half way through September and realizes she's got too much on her plate, I've got no problem walking away. I figure I'm out what I had to pay OOP in team fees, less than $200 because I have money in my fundraising account, which I wouldn't get back anyway. She had her time in the gym, so the tuition was well-spent.

Now, let's just juggle that family budget. Won't be as bad as it was because dd1 is still done and her school activities don't cost near what the gym did.

I meant DD2 goes back Monday. Why, oh why, can't I edit anything?

Sounds like she misses it. It is a big thing to leave girls you spend sooo much time with. I am proud of you for letting her go back and taking it month to month. I think that takes a bunch of pressure off her. You have a great coach and club owner. We have a girl at our club wh has left twice lves the kids and the work outs hates to compete. the coches like her she works hard and is no trouble. I am guessing if she was a pain she wouldn't be allowed to come back. My guess is your daughter has a good work ethic and is a great team kid so the coaches are willing to work it out for her. Let's face it these coaches love these kids and spend so much time with them it's like loosing a child when a team kid goes away. Best of luck to you.

Well, since she has made the decision to return, and you are in agreement - then WONDERFUL for all. We have had many of our optionals "take a break" and then return again - some stay long term, and some don't. You are a wise parent for keeping an open mind :)

I was very impressed that they planned their initial exits from gymnastics so well - even though it was sad for them to go at the time. + then waited for their seasons to end. Regardless of the outcome, it is clear your dd's are already obviously well-rounded and mature with great values - and they also know they can rely on you for your support. Is dd1 still taking tumbling as well?

Well, Livina, you may need to write a book on the care and feeding of the tween/teenage gymnast. Whatever the reason is that she left(she clue you in sometime), obviously it wasn't as big a deal as she 1st thought since she wants to go back. Its great your gym will work with you on a month to month basis---many would want the year committment from you before she walked back through the door. Best of luck to both of you---and do enjoy your vacation!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back