Parents We're Back from USAIGC States

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmonkeymomma

Proud Parent
Our last meet of the season! We had a really nice weekend in Wildwood, the weather cooperated though it was a bit chilly last night.

Big DD is Silver level and competed in the 8-11 yr old group (44 gymnasts). She had an OK day, AA was 34.225. She placed 13th on beam, 20th in the AA. This was actually one of her lowest scoring USAIGC meets. She was more bummed about not winning a bobblehead gymnast trophy (special judges awards given for each event). She had more fun with her teammates on the boardwalk rides and in the heated pool than anything else! Oh and she found a $10 bill while digging on the beach so she bought ice cream for the girls in her level, LOL!

Now Little Monkey shocked everyone.... she was in Bronze level ages 6 to 8 (34 gymnasts). Last year, the age group was 6 to 7, which is what we had hoped for this time, but not so lucky. When you're 7, you WANT to win a bobblehead, lol, and she was hoping her beam routine would win her one. She was totally unaware of the age group or the # of kids. We (me, other parents and coaches) figured with the age range and group size, she would do ok but didn't expect anything spectacular.

First even was BB (usually her best). She does her amazing headstand mount, but fell off out of her cartwheel. She got back up, finished with 8.65. Next was FX, a very well choreographed routine, but 8 of the girls use the same one. She nails the tumbling solidly and scored 9.15. Vault - well, hmmm, small kid does her personal best of 8.4. Bars, she does her flyaway and scores 8.85. On to awards.... she placed in EVERY event and she is the STATE CHAMP ON FLOOR !!!! :floor:

It gets even better.... they start announcing the AA. The announcer says 1st place score was 36.55 but the next 3 places were "all within a toe-point"! They were 35.15, 35.10 and 35.05. So, Little Monkey took 4th in the AA. :D

If you've read this far....thanks for indulging a proud mommy's brag!

Wow, sounds like you had a wonderful weekend at the meet and away from the meet. Travel meets are so much fun. Your girls must be so proud of all their hard work and successes. Must be a challenge to remember two sets of routines.

Love the ice cream story, great team spirit.

Great job to your dd's! What a fun and successful season thay have had.

I have never seen the USAIGC routines. How different are they compared to USAG?

I was wondering that, too. What kinds of skills do they need at each level?

And congrats to both your girls! Sounds like you all had a great time and they did AWESOME!

I have never seen the USAIGC routines. How different are they compared to USAG?

The basic difference (and why many of our girls like USAIGC) is that they compete OPTIONAL routines at all levels. Many gyms will pick USAIGC or USAG or not both. A few teams compete both (like ours). USAIGC teams usually do not train as many hours. A few years ago, when my oldest first started USAIGC they were allowed to use the compulsory routines from USAG. Then they changed it, and they are not allowed to use the Level 4-6 routines now. There was also a petition to start competing "Copper" level (level 3-ish) but I don't think that passed. Last year they had Level 3's at the state meet but this year, there were none.

On the www.usaigc.com website there is a list of requirements for each level. Bronze (usually USAG levels 4 & 5 compete bronze) are required to do a handspring vault. They judge vault using the Level 5 deductions. The UB routine has 4 elements - mount, front hip, back hip, dismount and going to highbar is optional. For FX they cannot do any salto's.

Congrats to your girls - sounds like they had a great meet. I bet your glad to be done with this competition season having 2 girls competing both usag and usaigc !!!

:)Congratulations on a great meet and a fun family weekend. Both girls did great. And it's always good to hear that the time spent away was a blast too. Sometimes we bring home great memories from the trip as well. Great way to end the season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back