We're trying to be fans, why is it so difficult?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

monkeysmom

We are relatively new to gymnastics, and I realize that I know less than a lot of people about this sport. Being new also gives me some valuable perspective on this particular topic. Why is it so difficult to be a gymnastics fan? My daughter is really excited to go to the championships in St. Paul in August. Last night she had a lot of questions, so I attempted to do some research online. I was trying to understand, in "laymen's terms" how gymnasts qualify to this event. I was trying to find out who has already qualified. I was able to find official rules and some information on the qualifying meets. I was completely unsucessful in trying to figure out who from our state has qualified so far. Or maybe no one has? I believe a gymnast from my daughter's gym may have qualified, bit I can't even find anything to verify that. Also, who goes to national training camp? In terms of the general public, gymnastics has some PR issues, mostly with regard to training young kids. But beyond that it's also really difficult to understand the scoring or even figure out who to watch in the elite level. It's much easier to be a college fan, thanks to the search function through my TV service provider, as long as you understand you can only watch bigger meets or certain teams who seem to get decent air time. Yes, I do look at Gymnastike and that is somewhat helpful. Now that my daughter is involved with the sport, I see so many wonderful positives from it and I try to be my own little embassador to be positive about gymnastics how much my daughter benefits and loves it. To give some perspective, one of my family member's comment when I told her my daughter was trying out for team was "go ahead, but just don't drink the Koolaid." It was not a very positive (or sensitive or appropriate) reference. In my opinion, it was really not justified, in that it came from a hockey parent who spent every weekend for over a decade living and loving the hockey life! Plus, I pointed out that many kids spend much more time in front of the TV or in front of video games than my daughter spends in gymnastics--i'll take gymnastics any day over that. Anyway, it should not be so difficult and complicated to be a fan of this sport. My daughter is involved in gymnastics, and I can't even figure it out. How is anyone else supposed to? I spent an hour on the internet last night and then gave up. Maybe it's just me, but it seems really complex for anyone who is not an "insider" to attempt to be a fan (or to help their seven year old be one). I just my daughter I'll look up some recent news articles right before we go, and we'll read them together to learn more about the event before we attend. If anyone else has some good information or resources, please share!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of gymnastics. I think its like any other sport that you don't know about. For me Football, basket ball, golf are sports I haven't a clue about and have tried to understand with no luck. I think any sport that is unfamilure will be the same. There are alot of fans of gymnastics especially in Olympic years and the question of how they got there isn't really the biggie - fans just enjoy watching the amazing skills performed.

As you move forward you will gain tons of knowledge just by attending events and talking to the seasoned parents and fans.
As for qualifying for things the readers digest version is you get on a gym team, then go to local meets to qualify for sectional meets then on to qualifying for state meets, then on to regionals then on to divisional then on to national etc. The begining levels only go as far as states but as you move up in levels the other areas come into play. It's not until you are at the top levels do nationals kick in and not too many get that far.

Again welcome to this great sport and hope you and your DD have fun

a lot of the stuff can't be published until the event gets closer. rules of engagement change all the time. but if you look at the USAG site they should have info on the 1st classic taking place and who's there. cover girl stuff can't go up until they know who has qualified. who that is in total will be known after the 1st classic. this competition is held at the ranch. and they have a traiing camp there right now for those trying to qualify to the 1st classic. what with injury, changing gyms, illness, etc; USAG is not able to put stuff up written in stone. it's the way it is because the sport dictates what goes on. has nothing to do with USAG not wantng to have a fan base.

if you want to know all that other stuff, like if a gymnast from your gym has qualified to which meet or how to qualify, go ask your coach. if they can't help you, go to USAG, click on the women's button, then click on "Elite". it gives you some info but not all cause everything changes daily, weekly, monthly, bi-monthly, etc;

then, if that doesn't give you enough come back here and ask specific questions and i'll be glad to answer them.:)

Thanks! I probably should have been more specific.

It's the elites that have me confused. I have figured out USAG levels 4-10, and prep op in my state. I was able to follow the successes of girls from my daughter's gym through Westerns for level 9 and nationals for level 10. It's the whole elite qualifier thing that has me confused. I was trying to figure out whether some girls have already qualified (I think the answer was yes based on what I read), but I could not find a list anywhere to try to see who has qualified from my state (or any state for that matter). A gymnast from my daughter's gym did great at the Championship/elite qualifier in Florida. I couldn't tell whether that qualified her to the Covergirl qualifier or right to the VISA championships. I found a few miscellaneous bits of information, e.g., that S. Johnson is making her comeback at the VISA championships. I think that means some gymnasts are already qualified. I just couldn't find any good source to explain the process, or to explain what national training camp means. I like sports and it's pretty easy for me to understand the college basketball, NFL, pro basketball, Stanley cup, college gymnastics, etc. Its the elite gymnastics that has me stumped at the moment, unless there is something really obvious out there that I am just missing. My daughter asked how many girls from our state are going so far to the championships in St. Paul, how old they are, how many from her gym are going, who the I think the best one is etc. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't really find an article or summary that explains the process in a simple way.

Thanks!! I posted my response to the other poster before I saw yours. I'll go check out that link.

It's the elites that have me confused. I have figured out USAG levels 4-10, and prep op in my state. I was able to follow the successes of girls from my daughter's gym through Westerns for level 9 and nationals for level 10. It's the whole elite qualifier thing that has me confused. I was trying to figure out whether some girls have already qualified (I think the answer was yes based on what I read), but I could not find a list anywhere to try to see who has qualified from my state (or any state for that matter). A gymnast from my daughter's gym did great at the Championship/elite qualifier in Florida. I couldn't tell whether that qualified her to the Covergirl qualifier or right to the VISA championships. I found a few miscellaneous bits of information, e.g., that S. Johnson is making her comeback at the VISA championships. I think that means some gymnasts are already qualified. I just couldn't find any good source to explain the process, or to explain what national training camp means. I like sports and it's pretty easy for me to understand the college basketball, NFL, pro basketball, Stanley cup, college gymnastics, etc. Its the elite gymnastics that has me stumped at the moment, unless there is something really obvious out there that I am just missing. My daughter asked how many girls from our state are going so far to the championships in St. Paul, how old they are, how many from her gym are going, who the I think the best one is etc. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't really find an article or summary that explains the process in a simple way.

and you won't cause it changes. your coach should be able to tell you what the gymnast from your gym qualified to. the florida meet was not a "championship". just a national qualifier. that florida qualifier could qualify you to the 1st classic, the 2nd called cover girl or to championships of the USA which is also called elite nationals and Visa championships. us ole folks still call it championships of the USA.

Monkeysmom could you please use paragraphs when you post. It is one of our rules that correct grammar and punctuation should be used at all times. I wanted to read your post, but the lack of paragrpahs makes it painful on my old eyes.

Thanks.

here you go:

What: 2011 American Classic and National Qualifier
When: June 30 – July 2, 2011
Competition Site: USA Gymnastics Training Center, Karolyi Ranch, Huntsville, TX

June 30 - Thursday: American Classic Coaches Meeting – 4:45 PM / Jr & Sr International Training - 5:00 – 8:00 PM

July 1 – Friday: American Classic

Sub-Division A - Junior International
Stretch 8:00 AM
Warm-up 8:30 AM – 9:30 AM
Competition – 9:45 AM -11:15 AM

Sub-Division B Junior International
Stretch – 11:00 AM (Old Gym)
Warm-up 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Competition – 12:45 PM -2:15 PM

Sub-Division C Senior International
Stretch – 2:00 PM (Old Gym)
Warm-up 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM
Competition – 3:45 PM -5:15 PM

July 1 – Friday: Nat’l Qualifier Coaches Meeting 5:15PM – Mandatory / Qualifier Training in new gym - 5:30 – 8:30 PM

Compulsory Competition in the old gym
General Stretch – 6:00 pm -
Competition – 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM
Warm-up/Compete competition format

July 2 - Saturday: Hopes Stretch/Warm-up 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM / Hopes Optional Competition – 9:30 AM – 10:30 PM

Jr & Sr Optional Stretch/Warm-up 11:00 PM – 12:30 PM / Jr & Sr Optional Competition – 12:30 PM – 3:30 PM

American Classic* 7/1 & Elite National Qualifier Judges: Perskaia, Panichas, Rowland, Crandall, Hamilton*, Phillips*, Stack*, DeCristoforo*

Classics will use two four judge panels. All other competitions will be two judge panels.

2011 American Classic National Training Center Karolyi Ranch New Waverly, TX - 7/1/2011

Schedule - Junior International -- Friday, July 01, 2011

Stretch 8:00 AM
Warm Up 8:30 AM
Competition 9:45 AM

Mackenzie Brannan Capital TX, Brianna Brown Cincinnati, Nia Dennis Buckeye, Ashley Szafranski Parkettes, Nicole Lehrmann Capital TX, Meredith Sylvia Parkettes, Simone Biles Bannon's, Claire Hammen GK's, Ashley Foss North Stars, Stefani Catour Desert Lights, Nichelle Christopherson, Mykayla Skinner Desert Lights

2011 July Compulsory National Training Center, Karolyi Ranch, New Waverly, TX - 7/1/2011

Compulsory -- Friday, July 01, 2011

Aja-Monet Sims Brandy Johnson's, Madison Howlett SCEGA, Taylor Bennion SCEGA, Chloe Cluchey Capital VA, Kami Amemiya-Shows SCEGA, Gracie Cherrey Perpetual Motion, Zoe Martin Desert Lights, Khyla Pottenger Arete, Tara Catour Desert Lights, Lianne Josbacher Gymn Learning Ctr, Kierstin Rouse Desert Lights, Sydney Malko Gymn Learning Ctr, Kaitlyn Hall KGDC, Kristen Politz Rebound NJ, Charity Jones Dynamo, Taylor Krippner Cypress, Keri Peel Xtreme Altitude, Melissa Reinstadtler Rebound NJ, Elena Spengler Girls In Co-Op, Hope Masiado Girls In Co-Op, LACY DAGEN Pacific West, Courtney Cowles New England Gym Exp., Rachel Sine Girls In Co-Op, Jessie DeZiel Twin City Twisters

2011 National Qualifier National Training Center, New Waverly, TX

Elite Qualifier -- Saturday, July 02, 2011

Taylor Krippner Cypress, Nicole Gendusa Illinois Gymn Inst., Melissa Reinstadtler Rebound NJ, Jenna Bresette GAGE, Caitlin Atkinson Cypress, Gracie Cherrey Perpetual Motion, Kristen Politz Rebound NJ, Keri Peel Xtreme Altitude, Michaela Burton Legacy Elite, Jennifer Hansen PGA, Alexandra Marks Dynamo, Amanda Huang Northwind, Charity Jones Dynamo, Sydney Malko Gymn Learning Ctr, Bryttany Kaplan Adrenaline, Lianne Josbacher Gymn Learning Ctr, Devin Sheridan SCEGA, Taylor Bennion SCEGA, Rachel Sine Girls In Co-Op, Khyla Pottenger Arete, Kami Amemiya-Shows SCEGA, Tara Catour Desert Lights, Madison Howlett SCEGA, Zoe Martin Desert Lights, Courtney Cowles New England Gym Exp., Kaitlyn Hall KGDC, LACY DAGEN Pacific West, Alonza Klopfer North Stars, Jessie DeZiel Twin City Twisters, Phoebe Pummarachai Gym Max, Kiana Winston TX Dreams, Chloe Cluchey Capital VA

okay, now, after the above competition USAG will know ALL the girls qualified to the Cover Classic. so, it's as follows:

1. training camp right now as i type. some/more/all/? kids will qualify out to the 1st classic [american classic] listed above.

2. some/all depending if they advanced thru, will compete at Cover Girl Classic [this competition used to be called US Classic]. some will have already qualified to championships. i know who these girls are but i will not publish this before USAG.

3. after Cover Girl, and probably the following week, look at the USAG site for the final list for qualifiers qualified to championships/visa's.

this enough for you?:)

finally...whew...don't ask how they all qualify for what, what score they need, etc; cause if i post up what is known today, those rules could change tomorrow.:) marta's rules...

Thanks!

Thanks for the information, that was helpful! I agree with the other poster/moderator--I sure wish we could watch it on TV!!

We are relatively new to gymnastics, and I realize that I know less than a lot of people about this sport. Being new also gives me some valuable perspective on this particular topic. Why is it so difficult to be a gymnastics fan?

Honestly, it's really no different than anything else IMO. When I first became a parent, (of twins, no less) I bought books, I went to the local twin club meets, I talked to parents of twins, read parenting books, etc. However, really nothing prepared me for the real life experience of raising twins except for the experience itself. It truly isn't any different than having a child in the sport of gymnastics or any other sport for that matter. You learn by going along the path. I am highly educated at this point about gymnastics, but when my son started running Cross Country and Track 5 years ago, I knew nothing. 5 years later, I now have been indoctrinated into that world. I am still learning every day about each sport, as each new experience and different meet and change or rules or meeting of someone new teaches me more and more. You will learn too! Just as experienced parents of twins warned me about the "horrible" moments with twins, they also told me about the joys, too. I chose to listen to all of it because I felt that they knew what they were talking about. All sports, as everything in life, has pros and cons. I know what they mean about "Drinking the Kool-aid" and it's a saying I hear a lot". I don't think it neccessarily means people are trying to be negative (although they may be) but everything comes with a warning label, for valid reasons. Everything in life, especially with children, needs to be navigated carefully and thoughtfully, including sports.

finally...whew...don't ask how they all qualify for what, what score they need, etc; cause if i post up what is known today, those rules could change tomorrow.:) marta's rules...

Heck they could cange moment by moment. A few years ago the judges were so hard one year that hardly any girls qualified for states so they lowered the qualifying scores so more girls could participate.

Bog and Dunno. If you have any way in the world to make a suggestion for the televised portions of these meets, please do--I am tired of only getting to see 3-5 girls compete at televised gymnastics meet. the camera is trained on the girl, say Rebecca Bross, from the moment she stand up: getting chalk, shaking her legs to loosen them, chalking her feet, closing her eyes to visualize, pacing, etc. Meanwhile, there are 4 competitors going on all events that no one ever gets to see. I don't want to watch Rebecca before her event, I want to watch gymnastics. Then, after she competes, we watch her walking back and forth, hands on hips, looking at the scoreboard, talking to her teammates, talking to her coach, walking some more, using her cell phone, staring at the scoreboard, putting her clothes on or off, taping or untaping, putting in her earphones.... ok, you get it and you know what I'm talking about.

Why do the camera people do that? I tune in to watch gymnastics, not the girls walking around, etc. And the more gymnastics they show, the better. Sometimes there are really talented girls there that NEVER get on TV and you never hear their name. This needs to change!! Thank you for my soapbox, I'm getting down now.

well, i can speak only of the NBC Universal Sports coverage. it's awesome and they show everyone and a bit of everyone's everything. the NBC coverage is always sparse and frought with all that drama crap. and you have to listen to dagget. i always have to take exlax before he comes on because HE is so constipated.

look for NBC Universal Sports coverage.:)

well, i can speak only of the NBC Universal Sports coverage. it's awesome and they show everyone and a bit of everyone's everything. the NBC coverage is always sparse and frought with all that drama crap. and you have to listen to dagget. i always have to take exlax before he comes on because HE is so constipated.

look for NBC Universal Sports coverage.:)
Is that online, TV, Cable? I've only ever seen NBC TV coverage. Would love to see the Universal Sports.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back