Parents West central Florida

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sweetbrunette00

Proud Parent
moving to the area.
What are the best gyms that offer an elite track in the area of west Florida.
Pros and cons if you can.
Looking for a gym that offers opportunity and willing to work with gymnast. (Believing in them is important!)
Looking for a positive atmosphere as well as opportunity to work up to elite.
Also we have never left our current gym what is the process of moving to a new gym usually like

Send a conversation, private message to Dunno. He does not post much anymore but he knows EVERYONE in US gymnastics that have high level athletes. If he does not respond, Bog may be able to email him. He has helped many members with making gym switch decisions.

Send a conversation, private message to Dunno. He does not post much anymore but he knows EVERYONE in US gymnastics that have high level athletes. If he does not respond, Bog may be able to email him. He has helped many members with making gym switch decisions.

Thank you I will seek him out!

What gyms are near you?

Well I'm not too worried about what is near me.
We are willing to drive an hour if we have to.

I've heard amazing things about Orlando metro but they are a little too far from us.

I have started doing some reaseach on gyms in the area...
we would like a gym that offers elite, fast track classes and has gotten college scholarships before.
I know favorites and politics happen everywhere but really we need a gym that gives all the girls a chance and appreciate a gymnast who work hard and believe in them.
We want this to hopefully be our last move in gyms unless something happens out of our control.

Right now I'm thinking of reaching out to DGA - I know they have been around for 27 years and I believe have elite and scholarships and probably the closest for is at this time,
Golden city is another option. We started there and did Rec classes but we saw our daughter was doing the same things as other girls but wasn't moving up so we left and joined another gym and were immediately invited to preteam then competed level 2.. when she made level 3 we went back and tried out and the coach wouldn't even put her on a team wanted her to go back to a Rec class so we stayed where we were... but I know they have gotten a few scholarship have a tops program and go upgto elite... I'm just reluctant bc of our history with them.
Le fleur is one I'm very interested in but I've only ever seen lefleur largo compete and although I would travel there if I have to the Tampa location would be better for us...
I have heard amazing things about Lefleur as far as having an elite team and scholarships etc but not very much as far as coaching and program..
I was approached by top contender coach but don't know much about them...

No it says in our handbook we are not allowed to try out or look at other gyms or will be kicked off the team.

So are you moving house ? That is what I assumed from your original post. You current gym has put that in the handbook to stop gym hopping. If you are re-locating and your current gym will not be commutable any more thyen they will be open to recommending other gyms, and may well contact them on your behalf to smooth the transfer. As I said, very different to if you are just changing gyms in the local area.

moving to the area.
What are the best gyms that offer an elite track in the area of west Florida.
Pros and cons if you can.
Looking for a gym that offers opportunity and willing to work with gymnast. (Believing in them is important!)
Looking for a positive atmosphere as well as opportunity to work up to elite.
Also we have never left our current gym what is the process of moving to a new gym usually like

good morning! what exact area are you moving to?

No it says in our handbook we are not allowed to try out or look at other gyms or will be kicked off the team.

But, you are moving which is different than looking in your area, which is what that is addressing. I would talk with current gym, let them know when you are moving and see if they know of any gyms in your new area.

Lakewood Ranch qualified one elite compulsory and one hopes compulsory today. Orlando Metro did exactly the same (one hopes, one elite). Aimee Boorman now coaches south of Tampa as well?

Lakewood Ranch qualified one elite compulsory and one hopes compulsory today. Orlando Metro did exactly the same (one hopes, one elite). Aimee Boorman now coaches south of Tampa as well?

Off topic, but are the results posted somewhere online?

No, but around 15 qualified hopes. I don't know all of the elite names, but gymnasts over a 35 included Emma Grace Boyd, a gymnast from Hill's, Kelsey Lee, Sydney Barros, Kathleen Ours, Gabrielle Dildy, and Abby Johnston.

Well I'm not too worried about what is near me.
We are willing to drive an hour if we have to.

I've heard amazing things about Orlando metro but they are a little too far from us.

I have started doing some reaseach on gyms in the area...
we would like a gym that offers elite, fast track classes and has gotten college scholarships before.
I know favorites and politics happen everywhere but really we need a gym that gives all the girls a chance and appreciate a gymnast who work hard and believe in them.
We want this to hopefully be our last move in gyms unless something happens out of our control.

Right now I'm thinking of reaching out to DGA - I know they have been around for 27 years and I believe have elite and scholarships and probably the closest for is at this time,
Golden city is another option. We started there and did Rec classes but we saw our daughter was doing the same things as other girls but wasn't moving up so we left and joined another gym and were immediately invited to preteam then competed level 2.. when she made level 3 we went back and tried out and the coach wouldn't even put her on a team wanted her to go back to a Rec class so we stayed where we were... but I know they have gotten a few scholarship have a tops program and go upgto elite... I'm just reluctant bc of our history with them.
Le fleur is one I'm very interested in but I've only ever seen lefleur largo compete and although I would travel there if I have to the Tampa location would be better for us...
I have heard amazing things about Lefleur as far as having an elite team and scholarships etc but not very much as far as coaching and program..
I was approached by top contender coach but don't know much about them...

We had the same experience with golden city. They almost ruined gymnastics for my daughter. She was team at 5 years old in another state, golden city dropped her to rec which pretty much worked on zero team skills. We didn't want to commute an hour to another gym for dd at only 5 years old, so we did two privates a week and almost a year later she made team again. But just because you're on team there doesn't mean you get to compete and almost zero up training. it was a very discouraging environment and very monotonous. My dd loved gym and was almost burned out after being there a year and a half. She would've quit if we stayed there, but we moved again and she loves it and can't get enough gym where she is now. If I had to do it all over again I would make the hour commute to either le fluers or Tampa bay turners( who offered dd team).

Lakewood ranch is also good. Golden city had two girls when we were there working towards elite. One of those left to go to Lakewood ranch and is listed above as making elite.

We had the same experience with golden city. They almost ruined gymnastics for my daughter. She was team at 5 years old in another state, golden city dropped her to rec which pretty much worked on zero team skills. We didn't want to commute an hour to another gym for dd at only 5 years old, so we did two privates a week and almost a year later she made team again. But just because you're on team there doesn't mean you get to compete and almost zero up training. it was a very discouraging environment and very monotonous. My dd loved gym and was almost burned out after being there a year and a half. She would've quit if we stayed there, but we moved again and she loves it and can't get enough gym where she is now. If I had to do it all over again I would make the hour commute to either le fluers or Tampa bay turners( who offered dd team).

Yikes! That's just mean!

Good Luck!!! Make sure you go there, try a few classes, and talk to the parents.....Always ask what they love about the program AND what they hate about the program......
Make sure the meet schedule is OK with your family....costs obviously......also make sure the 'vibe' is good......you can read a lot by whats going on in the waiting room. Especially if its full of parents. ;)
Lakewood is a dominant force in Florida.......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back