Parents What advise do you give you child before they compete?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom14

Proud Parent
I always tell my dd-
Go Slow (finish every move)
Think about what you are doing and how lucky you are to be doing it.
Smile (Enjoy)

She has a tendancy to rush. Everything looks so much better when you go slow and finish every move.

It seems to work for her. She loves performing.

I tell her to NOT fall off beam. (lol) I do it in a jokingly way, and the times I have done that, those are the meets that she will not fall off beam!

I tell her the same things before meets that I tell her before almost every practice. Work hard, do your best, and have fun! Those are the three most important things and if she does that, she's done well, no matter what.

I just tell my dd to go out there and do what she loves to do - gymnastics, and to have fun with it.

Good question!

I started wondering about this myself lately too! Last weekend at dd's inhouse I told her that all she could do is go out there and try her best. I also wanted to make sure she felt prepared and confident so I remind dd that she has worked really hard all summer practicing routines and that she could do it because she is prepared!

I am really not attached to what place she gets or what her score was but in her effort and performance. Of course I'd like to see her win first and get all 9's but really I just want her to do her best whatever that may be! I think confidence is key and that must come from feeling prepared and ready!

DD has her first competition of the season this weekend and she has the choice of going to an extra practice on friday. I told her she didn't have to go but if she wants one more practice it's there. She said she did want to go but I'll ask her again friday afternoon. She may change her mind. I just want her to know that if she's feels better attending one last practice we can do that.

I tell her to NOT fall off beam. (lol) I do it in a jokingly way, and the times I have done that, those are the meets that she will not fall off beam!

You may want to change your word choice to STAY on the beam! Law of attraction states that what your mind focuses on is what materializes. It's a more positive way of saying the same thing. Just food for thought! :rolleyes:

You may want to change your word choice to STAY on the beam! Law of attraction states that what your mind focuses on is what materializes. It's a more positive way of saying the same thing. Just food for thought! :rolleyes:

Great idea!!! That should work even better! If only everything were that simple!

I usually remind my dd of a few things before she competes that I know she has been working on to correct. I tell her to have fun, do her best and good luck.

This year will be a little different. Last year, she was on top at every meet. I don't want her going into meets this year with a big head thinking she'll be on top this year and be disappointed if she's not.

Any advice on what to say?

I usually walk her to the front door of the gym we're competing at, give her a hug, tell her I love her and just do what she does in practice. Pretty simple, but that seems to be all she wants to hear. Really once she gets into the gym, its time for the coach to take over with words of wisdom.

skfleming: I know how you feel. My dd is a level 6, for the last two years I told her not to be upset if she does not win medals, just do your best. In fact, I told her she probably won't win medals since the competition is so tough. At l4 she won some medals, but at l5 she won a ton of medals and did very well. I hope she won't be disappointed if she doesn't see the same success at l6.

My kids haven't competed yet, but the first thing I am going to tell them is to just have fun and do what you love to do.

I give this advice to all the gymnasts before they compete. Infact this brilliant advice is something that I'm known for. I tell everyone... "Don't do anything stupid." It might sound a little harsh but it breaks the tension and makes everyone laugh.

:laughing:LOL! Good line Drowning123gone!!! That would get a smile out of my DD... coming from a coach. But, if as parent I used it on my 13yr DD, I'm sure I'd just get "the look":rolleyes: and a "Mom!". Anyone else with a 13yr old know what I mean?

:laughing:LOL! Good line Drowning123gone!!! That would get a smile out of my DD... coming from a coach. But, if as parent I used it on my 13yr DD, I'm sure I'd just get "the look":rolleyes: and a "Mom!". Anyone else with a 13yr old know what I mean?

Here, here! My son would give me "the look" :rollingeyes: and a peeved and defensive "I WON'T!" Lucky for me, he's not a gymnast. ;)

I usually remind my dd of a few things before she competes that I know she has been working on to correct. I tell her to have fun, do her best and good luck.

This year will be a little different. Last year, she was on top at every meet. I don't want her going into meets this year with a big head thinking she'll be on top this year and be disappointed if she's not.

Any advice on what to say?

I don't think I'd say anything. You don't want her going into meets thinking she can't win. I would just remind her that she needs to do her very best and work hard. If she doesn't place as well, then you could have a talk with her about how to improve (if necessary) or whatever but you don't want to make her doubt herself right before she competes.

I simply tell DD to have fun.

I leave the rest of the advice up to the coach, that is her job. Mine is to support not matter what. After the meet we greet w/ hugs and usually go out to eat.

I simply tell DD to have fun.

I leave the rest of the advice up to the coach, that is her job. Mine is to support not matter what. After the meet we greet w/ hugs and usually go out to eat.
I second this gymmomntc2e6. I think they are already nervous going in...no sense lecturing to them at that point...that's the coach's job:) I keep it light. A playful hug(as not to embarrass her, "she is 13 ya know") a "Good luck & Have fun!" and she's off & running. Some meets let you buy gifts to have sent out on the floor before awards. I always send her a a little something if possible. Then we meet up with a hug, a smile, and a big "Good job kiddo!" at the end. We like to do dinner with team mates & families just to make the whole thing more fun & memorable.

This is a silly family joke, but it always gets a smile when they are nervous. Every time as they walk away from me to the coach for pre-meet warm up I say, "hey you know that vault thing.....just get over it!". we laugh, big DD rolls her eyes and off they go.

Other than that have fun and keep your game face on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back