MAG What are the required skills for Level 10 in MAG?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Hello.

I'm not a gymnast, nor do I have very much knowledge of gymnastics, which is why I'm here! I'm a writer, and am writing a story with a gymnast as the main character, and I was trying to find REQUIRED skills for a Level 10 men's gymnast. I was able to find a PDF of required skills for WAG level 10, but not for MAG Level 10. Does anyone know where I could find a master list of this, or a PDF, or even just in the comments, let me know?

All help appreciated.

Thank you!

So, for men it is differnet than women.

Men at L10 are required to have each element group covered for each event (there are 4). Then they want the highest skill levels they can cleanly do.

So the men have open scoring. They add up the skills to get the start value, then they deduct for each deduction. So the goal is to do the skills with the highest values that they can do with the fewest deductions.

There are a few special requirements....swing to handstand on rings is one that comes to mind.

If you have some specific questions or ideas that might be easier. THen I could ask my L10 son to help! He could probably explain it way better.

So, for men it is differnet than women.

Men at L10 are required to have each element group covered for each event (there are 4). Then they want the highest skill levels they can cleanly do.

So the men have open scoring. They add up the skills to get the start value, then they deduct for each deduction. So the goal is to do the skills with the highest values that they can do with the fewest deductions.

There are a few special requirements....swing to handstand on rings is one that comes to mind.

If you have some specific questions or ideas that might be easier. THen I could ask my L10 son to help! He could probably explain it way better.

Hey, thanks so much for responding! So an element group is something like Dismount for Horizontal Bar, right? So it's just mastering the different Dismounts of HB, for example, and then perfecting them? Is that right?

Essentially, I'm trying to have my character work over a summer towards becoming Level 10 gymnast, so I wanted to focus on specific things he could focus on to achieve that. If his preference is doing Vault, focusing on perfecting Still Rings, for example, if that makes sense?

I suppose a secondary question would be, how is whether someone is ready to become a Level 10 determined? Is it based on a coach's recommendation, or performance at a competition, etc.?

Thanks so much for your help!

Men have six different event, vault floor, high bar, parallel bars, still rings and pommel horse.

Would it help if we told you some of the things that tend to give guys moving up from 9 to 10 fits? Because we can totally do that. ;)

Coaches will try to get them to a C dismount on every event where they can get there. Getting lock arm giants on rings is big. On pommels, many will be trying to get a travel all the way down, usually a Magyar. High bar, I'd say upgrading from a vault catch to something that won't produce as many deductions, getting or improving endos or stalders, and moving from a double back dismount to either a double lay or twisting double back would be in the mix. Pbars, upgrading dismounts and getting good giants, moy to support, peach to handstand, stutz to handstand, and/or tippelt or diamadov. Floor and vault, it's all about the upgrades. On floor, a lot of guys who don't have double backs want them for L10; they will also want to upgrade twisting. Vaults would be ideally moving toward laid out flips.

Coaches will generally make the call. As the system exists now, a L9 who's not ready for L10 would either stay at L9 as overage or move to the Junior Development program. (That's what my guy is doing.) My son's coach decides based on what skills the guy has across all six events and whether the strong events can compensate sufficiently for the weak events to give him a shot at making it to nationals.

THere are also currently age limits to be a L10. You have to be a competitive age of 15 to be a L10.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back