WAG What are the rules for LGBTQ+ athletes in high school?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

superNova08

Coach
Gymnast
So I'm non binary. Just wondering what the rules are. I'm biologically female, and hoping to compete in women's gymnastics but I wasn't sure if my gender identity plays a role into anything IHSA wise. Also curious on the guidelines of this for USAG. Thoughts?

So I'm non binary. Just wondering what the rules are. I'm biologically female, and hoping to compete in women's gymnastics but I wasn't sure if my gender identity plays a role into anything IHSA wise. Also curious on the guidelines of this for USAG. Thoughts?
Laws vary from state to state and policies vary from sport to sport. That said, if you're AFAB and wanting to compete women's gymnastics, I can't imagine any states or sports having policies that would stop you.

In NYS last year as they don’t have Varsity men’s gymnastics we had a male compete in women’s gymnastics

I'm fairly sure Syd Morris who competes for LIU is non-binary, I can't imagine anyone would have an issue with you competing.

Because you are biologically female, there should be no issues competing in women's sports. Some states now have laws preventing participation in sports under a gender different from one's birth certificate, but in this case you are trying to match the gender on your birth certificate so that would not apply. Some states also have rules related to medical treatment, if you are undergoing any. For example, in Idaho if you are prescribed male hormones as part of a gender transition to male you would play on the boys team. USAG rules for non-binary is that you may compete as either gender, but must stick with one gender for the length of the season.

What if you were prescribed them to counteract female hormones?
I don't believe puberty blockers would trigger the legal standard, as the Idaho guideline specifically uses the terms 'female-to-male transgender student athlete' and 'gender transition'. That said I am not a lawyer so that is not legal advice. If you go to transathlete.com and click on policies -> K-12 there is a state by state rundown of the relevant laws for high school athletics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back