Parents What are your kids watching on netfilx?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
A parent at our gym recently notified all of us moms that some of the girls were watching '13 reasons why'.....Some of the girls are 9. Some parents were fine with their 12 yo watching this sort of program, others were horrified. I think this program in particular is not appropriate......
I got on to see my Netflix history, (which is how my gymmie watch TV since she is always at practice ).....I found some questionable programming- Secret Life of the American Teenager, Carrie Diaries, Vampire Diaries and the normal zootpioa, and tinkerbell stuff......I THINK I might have an issue with the first three.....
I don't watch TV so I am pretty dumb when it comes to what is on TV......I hope i'm not being too crazy but I want my child to take her time to grow up, she will be exposed to this crap in due time...Password ON for Netflix....
Do any of you keep a close tab on what your 10-13 yo is watching?

Are we at the same gym? LOL. DD has been coming home begging to watch 13 reasons why b/c her teammates (ages 10-14ish) are all watching it. DD is 11 and very mature and I have let her watch a few PG13 movies (pitch perfect, etc) and a couple of semi-questionable shows (we watched make it or break it together lol). But I don't let her watch anything without permission. I told her I would screen 13 reasons why and let her know (I had been wanting to watch it anyway.) After the first couple of episodes which were not nearly as bad as the later episodes, I considered letting her go ahead and watch it with me, because I thought there was a valuable lesson to be learned from this show. However, I decided against it and finished out the season myself first. I'm SO glad I did. Those last few episodes are very disturbing and they were extremely difficult for me as an adult to watch. Even though she is an mature 11 year old who knows not to repeat curse words, knows about things like sexual harassment, rape, etc (we talk openly about these things) I couldn't imagine letting her watch those last few episodes. A couple of them nearly caused me a panic attack. It's a well done show that teaches a valuable lesson but she will need to be a good bit older before I consider letting her watch, no matter if her friends at school/gymnastics/wherever are watching it or not!

Oh man, I really don't think 13 reasons why is appropriate for even the most mature pre-teens. It was intense. I lost sleep over it. I'd let my kid watch that maybe at 13-14 but no earlier. The lessons are really good but the delivery is very intense and adult.

My DD is younger but watches Disney crap like Jessie and Bunk'd. My neighbor is 12 and watches the shows that OP listed (secret life and diaries, etc). She seems rather normal and well adjusted!

Funny- my 17yo saw it, and said.....NO WAY for younger kids because it glamorizes suicide.....the premise is good but in typical, "lets sell the movie' the overdid it.

Anyway.....the scary part is that some of the girls have seen it at other girls houses......
We talk about a lot.....in 12 year old terms....
bottom line......I want my kids to be carefree, happy and a KID for as long as possible......12 is a kid!

Several in DDs gym are watching 13 reasons too. I binge watched half the episodes it over the weekend because it's being discussed in a discussion group I'm part of for my kids' school (kids in 4th grade are watching or wanting to read the book!). Yikes...I didn't know that it gets that bad in the end. My DD is 14 so if she really wants to watch, it will be hard for me to say no but I'm glad I had the heads up on this one!

My daughter asked me about 13 reasons why. She's 11. I said no, knowing the content. If she pressed, I'd probably watch first to see if I was ok, but I'm pretty sure I won't be.

She usually asks me when it pushes the questionable range but not on the cartoon/Disney, foodnetwork.

My daugher 11 was going to watch via recommendations from kids at her school...told her no..now she is watching heartland. Explained to her that there is a lot of content in the movie that cana be overwhelming, confusing and intense.

Her school sent an email out yesterday warning parents.

My kids watched it. They had previously read the book. Long story short, but I don't agree that it glamorizes anything, and I'm glad we watched it together.

As for what my kids watch- one doesn't watch tv unless it is with me (ODD) and the other is free to watch what she wants within reason- she knows to check each show on common sense media and anything rated 14 or below is a green light. 15-16 is a yellow light- run it by me first. 17+ is an automatic no go unless we are watching together.

Toughest thing about media and kids today is access. I was a fairly permissible parent when it came to what I allowed my kids to watch, but they watched things with me or others - on the tv in the family room or at the movie theater with me. So I was at least in the loop to answer questions or explain. Maybe you had to worry about what the might be watching occasionally at a friend's house on their tv.

Now kids can potentially watch things ANYWHERE - on their laptop in their bedroom, on their friend's iPad or phone at lunch at school or during carpool to gym. They could get their friends Netflix password and watch it on their own phone/iPad/computer. Not sure what the answer is. But if I knew there was a show that every kid was watching and talking about, would make sure to discuss the issues with my kid.

My oldest is only 7, so we still watch a lot of cartoons. I know a mom at my gym was asked by her 11 yr old if she could watch 13 reasons why, and after watching the whole series, decided against it.

I read the book when it came out 10 yrs ago, and watched the series last week. I think Hannah's story/the books message is an important one.
I'd let a middle school student read the book ( it has a much narrower focus than the show) but I'd probably not want my kids to watch the series until maybe high school age. While I don't think that the show glamorized suicide, it was really intense even for me as a grown adult. I thought the narration by Hannah and her story were well done, but all the 'extra' back stories and drama were ridiculous and clearly setting up for a second season. But I'm almost always in the 'the book is better' camp for anything.

Mine don't really watch much on Netflix. DD(12) is either at school or gym, and she mostly watches gymnastics or "how to make slime" videos on youtube. I watched 13 Reasons Why because my DS(14) said some of his friends were talking about it at school. We talked about the show and what it was about and I told him I'd watch it with him if he wanted, although I'd skip the intense scene in the last episode. I wish I could "unsee" that scene. My 12 year old is way too emotionally young to watch the show but I'd be fine with her reading the book. I definitely think the issues covered in the series are important though and its never too early to discuss those with our kids (at the appropriate level for their age/maturity of course).

Mine don't really watch much on Netflix. DD(12) is either at school or gym, and she mostly watches gymnastics or "how to make slime" videos on youtube. I watched 13 Reasons Why because my DS(14) said some of his friends were talking about it at school. We talked about the show and what it was about and I told him I'd watch it with him if he wanted, although I'd skip the intense scene in the last episode. I wish I could "unsee" that scene. My 12 year old is way too emotionally young to watch the show but I'd be fine with her reading the book. I definitely think the issues covered in the series are important though and its never too early to discuss those with our kids (at the appropriate level for their age/maturity of course).
Making Slime.....now that's fodder for another thread!!!

My gymmie recently saw one of those 'pour glitter on your trampoline and film yourself flipping in slow motion' videos and is now dying to try it o_O

LOL- generally It seems that this movie, although very current and important, may be to graphic and intense for young teens/tweens......what this opened my eyes to is that I had no idea what was watched on my netflix, I will talk to my DD today and ask her what she knows about this series and will initiate a conversation and discuss the book.
SMH, I agree that it is too hard to police kids on what they watch nowadays. Communication is the best option, but if I can keep my kid from walking into something she was not prepared for, I will.......I still wish I had watched the exorcist a bit older than 11....i couldt sleep for weeks!

I stopped an 11 and 9 year old from watching it. I caught it by accident, usually when they watch tv I leave the room., we just don't like the same things. They spend time with three adults and all have communicated about it. 11 year old was so mad I said no and so did her dad.

LOL- generally It seems that this movie, although very current and important, may be to graphic and intense for young teens/tweens......what this opened my eyes to is that I had no idea what was watched on my netflix, I will talk to my DD today and ask her what she knows about this series and will initiate a conversation and discuss the book.
SMH, I agree that it is too hard to police kids on what they watch nowadays. Communication is the best option, but if I can keep my kid from walking into something she was not prepared for, I will.......I still wish I had watched the exorcist a bit older than 11....i couldt sleep for weeks!
Yep, watched my first real horror movie at about 11 when we snuck up to watch HBO at a friend's house after parents went to bed. Nothing particularly new here, just a lot more stuff out there and a lot more ways to access it.

I stopped an 11 and 9 year old from watching it. I caught it by accident, usually when they watch tv I leave the room., we just don't like the same things. They spend time with three adults and all have communicated about it. 11 year old was so mad I said no and so did her dad.
A couple years ago, I walked through the living room and OG, YG, and all the other kids were watching Orange Is the New Black. The kids ranged in age from 7 to 16. I thought it was inappropriate for the younger ones, but stepmom had no problem with it.
I think they watch whatever they want now that they have moved (they moved out a year ago).

Mine liked pretty little liars ok and really liked switched at birth, but didn't start watching them until she was 13. (14 now) Her absolute favorite ever show is the walking dead. I caught her sneaking in the room while I was watching it on the ipad at age 11 and she was hooked...begged me to let her watch. I thought she'd have nightmares, but I think because it is so much fantasy, she has no problems with it. She's currently re watching the whole series on Netflix. Her other favorite show is dancing with the stars. I know...compete opposite, lol. She's really not much of a tv kid. She would rather be doing crafts or drawing.

I work in a middle school, 13 Reasons Why is currently everywhere. Chances are if you have a preteen or teen they have heard of it and may have watched it or want to watch it. All the counselor/mental health boards are lit up with discussions re this. Most mental health/suicide experts agree that it has several unhealthy themes. There are some great articles about it that will come up in any google search. I encourage everyone to ask their kids if they have seen it/heard of it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back