Parents What are your kids watching on netfilx?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Honest question--when do these gymmies have time to watch TV?!?

I have the luxury of being very aware of what my kid is watching at home because she is usually too busy to watch TV, we don't have cable and have very limited streaming options, and her devices are pretty well locked down. Right now she is mostly watching some annoying YouTube video about a singing duck, over and over again on her dad's iPad because hers doesn't have YouTube or a web browser. I have less awareness of what she sees on friends' phones at the gym or at friends' homes, or what she hears on the radio she has in her room. Some of that music--yikes! They bleep out the cursing, which I don't have a problem with because we have explained it to her and she doesn't sing the curse words, but they leave in a lot of content I find much more troubling.

I have recommended this here before but will do so again: I am a huge fan of Common Sense Media. The site rates movies and TV shows on a variety of aspects (violence, language, consumerism, positive role models, etc.) and provides detailed commentary to help families select content that is in line with their values and preferences, whatever those values might be. I don't always agree with their age recommendations, but I have never gone wrong relying on the commentary.

Edited to add: And slime videos! So many slime videos!

I have never heard of 13 reasons why....must have been living under a rock! I will have to ask DS13 about it. Sort-of funny story about Netflix, DD7 wanted to watch gymnastics shows and asked about Make It or Break It so I foolishly let her watch the first season.....that is until she told me "so and so broke up because he had sex with someone else!" I almost died! Now, once we talked about it she had no idea what that meant and they didn't show anything but we stopped that show!

Honest question--when do these gymmies have time to watch TV?!?
My ODD just doesn't love tv, while my YDD does. My YDD has time for tv because she is homeschooled. She trains 24-28 hours per week, but she wakes up at 9:30 and starts gym at 3:30-5pm (depending on day), and there is only so much school work and chores she needs to get done. Some days she will read non stop. Other days she will want to swim/bike/picnic as the weather warrants. And then some other days she will watch tv all day. I figure it all balances in the end. If the girls were in a traditional school they would have very little tv time.

Our school district just sent home a letter today about 13 Reasons Why. It listed the unhealthy themes of the show and warned it could be difficult for young minds to process. The principal also included a list of discussion questions to have with your child if they are watching the show.

I feel like this is one of those intensely personal issues that is between the parent and the kid. I hesitate to blanket statement anything regarding maturity to understand themes. My son reads books well above grade level due to his reading ability and interest (i.e. he read the Hunger Games at 9). I had a hard time even starting this thread because the title even felt judgmental once I realized it was about Thirteen Reasons Why and not just a general inquiry of what's on Netflix that might be gym related. I think we have to be conscious of the fact that what might work for my kid may not work for yours, etc... and not call things "crap" etc. when for some it might be a very valuable tool to open dialog.

My 13 yr old DD started 13 reasons and then she and I both decided to have her stop. I offered to let her read the book instead. I then directed her to Gilmore Girls and she really likes it :) My 10 yr old watches animated stuff still.

12 year old and she watches Hey Jessie type shows and cooking shows. I just caught her watching Barbie and I had to promise not to tell anyone. I am a little nervous though because her favorite gym friend and the person she spends the most time texting is 16.

My 12yo asked to watch 13 reasons and it was met with an abrupt "OVER MY DEAD BODY" response which I think actually scared her. :D Apparently "everyone" at her gym has watched it. :rolleyes: Please don't let your kids watch this crap people!!!!!!

I watched it and it was quite possibly the worst, depressing, most awful show I've ever seen - and I watch some garbage! It is also incredibly triggering for those of us with similar experiences, I didn't sleep for days.

She's currently working her way through good luck Charlie, but I've been checking Netflix history to make sure 13 reasons has not been watched....

Wouldn't let me edit...

Adding in that I'm probably the least censoring parent out of all my friends. She watches some stuff that most would deem inappropriate and we have had many discussions around the themes of 13 reasons. It is just way too intense and disturbing for kids and most adults I know hated it....

Wouldn't let me edit...

Adding in that I'm probably the least censoring parent out of all my friends. She watches some stuff that most would deem inappropriate and we have had many discussions around the themes of 13 reasons. It is just way too intense and disturbing for kids and most adults I know hated it....

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you're awfully judgmental.

How so? That wasn't even a judgemental statement.

I quoted the wrong post. Sentiment still stands.

"My 12yo asked to watch 13 reasons and it was met with an abrupt "OVER MY DEAD BODY" response which I think actually scared her. :D Apparently "everyone" at her gym has watched it. :rolleyes: Please don't let your kids watch this crap people!!!!!!"

I quoted the wrong post. Sentiment still stands.

"My 12yo asked to watch 13 reasons and it was met with an abrupt "OVER MY DEAD BODY" response which I think actually scared her. :D Apparently "everyone" at her gym has watched it. :rolleyes: Please don't let your kids watch this crap people!!!!!!"

Sorry you found it judgemental. It was not intended to be. And from memory you have older kids, not the age range of "everyone" DD claims to have watched it. Which I stand by. It's not appropriate for kids. Teens are a grey area and no judgement if you choose to let them watch.

I think it's actually sort of an important show. It shows just how easily kids/teens/people are able to break, and how easily as parents it is to overlook things. I think it shows the importance of having a good relationship with your kids and the value of communication. So many things discussed in the show I've heard people say are "hollywood" and it glamorizes suicide, I differently about that. I felt terribly sorry for the girl, and realize also that sometimes it takes a lot less for such a tragic end. I don't pretend to know how it feels to be in that situation, but I did lose a sister to suicide and I think often about the "but what if I had just..." I think the show does a good job of showing why it's important to be kind.

All that just to really say, someday I will have my child watch this show...that someday is just many years away.

Sorry you found it judgemental. It was not intended to be. And from memory you have older kids, not the age range of "everyone" DD claims to have watched it. Which I stand by. It's not appropriate for kids. Teens are a grey area and no judgement if you choose to let them watch.

That's my point. My YDD is 13- she read the book at 11, and I stand by my choice as a parent. She read the hunger games and world war z at 9. I read IT at 8. If she were a bit younger still I would have let her watch the show.

It is still judgmental for you to say "It's not appropriate for kids", but "teens are a grey area"- every parent needs to decide what is appropriate for their kid. I'm glad I don't have to decide for everyone else- each kid has such vastly different needs.

That's my point. My YDD is 13- she read the book at 11, and I stand by my choice as a parent. She read the hunger games and world war z at 9. I read IT at 8. If she were a bit younger still I would have let her watch the show.

It is still judgmental for you to say "It's not appropriate for kids", but "teens are a grey area"- every parent needs to decide what is appropriate for their kid. I'm glad I don't have to decide for everyone else- each kid has such vastly different needs.

OK, we may just have to agree to disagree then. :) I also think books are very different to actually seeing it. Saying it's not appropriate for kids is not judgmental in the slightest.

I actually have the book on my Kindle, haven't gotten to it yet. But its on my radar, specifically because of how at risk kids are these days. Its important subject matter and with middle school a year a way, I wouldn't have a problem with her reading it after I did, or if I read it with her. Again, I know my kid. She is able to deal with subject matter at 11 that perhaps other kids, maybe even older are not. The show, that would require my viewing first before making a decision on her. Now that I know there is a show based on the book. I think I will be putting it in the up next spot.

We are pretty open minded about what she can watch. Some of that requires we watch it together. Some are a flat out no. We take the subject matter and ratings under advisement and decide for ourselves.

Her fav shows these days are This Is Us. This has a lot of deep subject matter and is relevant to our lives. She loves it and we watch together. Teen Titans Go, Victorious, Sam and Cat, KC Undercover. On you tube, its Food Ranger in China, Nerf gun videos, the Minecraft folks, Madden football dude. , 2 guys who test all sorts of things like hot sauce and sausage. Cute dog and cat you tubes.

Her and I, besides This Is Us, DWTS, Food Network and HGTV (except those Flip or Flop folks we cant stand them).

Totally agree that it's up to the parent.......we are a bit behind the curve with this 'grown up' stuff......my kids are all gymnasts, not that into school socializing, don't have social media.....(not because of parents, but that say it's too time consuming). I think a lot of gymnast families may fall into the same category. The kids at school are well, let's say, a bit farther along?
My DD hadn't heard of it. Doesn't care......she is very no nonsense and rolls her eyes when tv shows get dramatic. She has a little time on the weekends to watch TV, but there are other fun things to do. If she ever wants to read it, I'm sure I'll let her in the future....
Right now, it's gymnastics, reading, slime, kittens.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back