What are your preschool kids working on

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

littlekateskate

I have two kids basically in the preschool classes at our gym. I was curious what other preschool classes did or were doing. So what are the main theings your kids are working on in their classes?

Well my 4 year olds class (4yr old boys and 3 yr old girls) is working on walking across beam. Walking feet up the wall, cat flip on bar, crossing monkey bars.

And my 5 year olds (kindergym) class is working on...

Bridge kickovers on wedge mat, handstands, bridges, donkey kick on beam, pullovers, leg kicks on beam, scaling on beam.

Preschool gymnastics

3 year olds:
Floor: - bridges, teddybear stands, handstands (put hands on ground and kick so both legs are off the ground), forwards rolls down incline, tuck jumps, straight jumps, star jumps. I make the kids walk like various animals across the floor (Tall giraffes, bunnys, frogs, crabs (hand and feet on ground, tummy facing celing, walk head first and make sure their bums are not draging on the ground), bears ( hands on feet on ground, straight legs), dogs (crawling), ect)

Beam: ( I try and get the kids to do what they can on the lowbeam by themselves so that they are not always relying on help) - forwards walking, backwards walking, sideways walking (tummy facing each wall), kicks, small hops, straddle pike and tuck sits on beam (most kids have troubles with balancing at this age)

bars: tuck, straddle, and pike holds, and then tuck straddle and pike inverted (with toes on bar). Front support, small casts if you feel comfortable teaching them to do that, swings on high bar, get kids to touch toes to high bar

vault: I just incorperate a springboard into their floor circut so they get the feeling how to jump on one ( in my opinion, 3 years old is to young to use an actual vault)

4-5 year olds:
- i normally do relatively the same stuff as above, but i also include:

Floor: head stands, forward roll to straddle sit, backwards rolls down incline

Bars: pullovers (put a block under their feet so they are closer to the bar), casts big enough that their hips come off bar, monkey walking across high bar

Beam: walking on toes (compared to flat feet for 3 year olds), scales, straight jumps, stork stands (bring one foot up to opposite knee, and balance for three seconds), rainbow walking ( start up tall, gradually as they walk get lower to the beam, and then get taller again as they get closer to the end {lowest point should be around the middle}), various jumps off the beam to nice landing.

vault: get them to do a short run, jump off a spring board, and make the shape you say in the air (ex: star, straight jump, tuck) , then land on a thick mat.

** I'm sorry if you do not understand what i mean in anything i said above. I tried to explain what what i thought needed to be explained, but I am from Canada, so i know that our termonology, and the US termonology is quite different. ***

Best of luck!

The kids I coach at that age are doing pretty much the same:

3&4:
beam:walking forewards and backwards on (low) beam...straight jumps...stand on one foot (stork stand), jumps off the end (tuck, star, sticking landing)
bars: bird perch (front support), swinging, V-hang
Floor: front rolls (no hands getting up), cartwheels progressions
Vault: mini tramp jumps and straddle onto a block and jump off.

5&6 :
beam: front rolls, tuck jumps etc
bars: pullovers, backhip circles, casts, walking across bar in bird perch, V-hang on high bar
Floor: kick up to handstand (with block), cartwheels, roundoffs, bridges with feet on block (working up to kickovers)
Vault: straddle onto block, jump off (sticking landing)

Oh and one more thing. I would never teach a 5 year a bridge kickover, or donkey kick on the beam. They are to young, and most do not have the required upper body strength to do those moves safely. If you are concerned about anything your childrens instructor is teaching them, just talk to them and express your concern. I know as a coach myself, I like to hear parents input in these classes.

Preschool gymnastics is supposed to be fun oriented, so that the kids grow interested in the sport, and enjoy themselves. Remember, you are not trying to train olympic athletes at age 4.

rainbow walking ( start up tall, gradually as they walk get lower to the beam, and then get taller again as they get closer to the end {lowest point should be around the middle})

Nice idea! I do the "waltz step" (two down, two up) but I like this idea a lot.

Well my four year old is in an advance rec class with 4, 5 and 6 year olds. They are working a lot on form- tight body, straight arms, pointed toes etc.

On bars- pullover, front support with nice form, small casts, back hip circle, swings and some conditioning like pull ups, L holds, leg lifts, etc.

On floor- forward roll, forward roll straddle up, headstands, handstands, cartwheels, backwards roll on cheese mat and floor, bridges(no kickover though)

On beam- Mostly work on high beam- walking, backwards, on toes, leg kicks, tuck jumps, straight jumps, forward rolls, releve holds, v sit etc.

On vault- running, jumping on several mushrooms of different heights and finally jumping on a springboard and jumping on stacked mats either in a squat or forward roll. And I think they are starting handstand flatback.

On tumble track- straight, tuck, straddle, split and seat jumps.

Conditioning- pushups, sit ups, leg lifts, arch ups, hollow holds, squat/straight jumps, pull ups (all for about 20 minutes)

I think that is about it for now.

My almost 5 y.o son just started hotshots. I'm not sure what you call anything they're working on, but it looks like the fundamental building blocks of the six men's events and some stretching and conditioning.

I've been working with him to get over the excitement of it and to listen to his coach and sit still and wait his turn without fooling around. I asked him how he liked gymnastics and he said 'it makes my body hurt'. I had to laugh and explain that he is using his muscles differently and that what he is feeling is his muscles getting stronger.

I teach the majority of the 4 year old classes offered at our gym, and a couple 3 year old ones.

With the 3 year olds, I work all kinds of differend jumps on the trampoline. On bars, swings, pike/straddle baskets, monkey walks (hanging on the low bar and walking the hands across without touching the floor), pullovers. Beam, walking forward/backward/sideways, small hops. Vault, lots of running... they love it!

The 4 year olds I get a lil more technical with. They need to be ready to enter the rec program when they turn 5. Vault we'll run, and practice jumping on the spring board, and if we have time, i'll let them try and do a squat on (with my help of course). Bars is basically the same as the 3 years olds, but I also have them work front supports and forward rolls off the bars. Beam is all the same, plus forward rolls on the floor beam with a spot. Floor, we work forward/backwards rolls. Front straddle rolls. Body positions. Tables and bridges. Jumps on the floor (tuck, straddle/star).

My 3yo ds is doing pretty much exactly what moimoi said, although he's starting to learn some of the 4-5yo things she listed.

Mostly though he just has a lot of fun!!

He makes me laugh - he tries to keep up with his sisters and I'll often hear him yelling "HEY, WATCH MY KICKOVER!" as he does a forward roll..... or "WATCH MY HANDSTAND!" as he does - yes - a forward roll. He's VERY good at forward rolls, hahahaha, and apparently they can sub for anything. ;)

I've just come home from our pre-school class! I don't know how you guys do so much with yours!
Our class is 45 mins long and the gymnasts are aged 21/2 to 3 (just about to turn 4) All we do is have fun. We work on basic balance, agility and co-ordination. We do lots of jumping, rolling, balancing, travelling and swinging exercises and try and teach them the name and technique of some shapes - tuck, pike and straddle. We don't really do any conditioning as such. They enjoy doing pull ups and leg lifts on the bar - this just seems to come naturally to them! They also enjoy doing a lot of climbing (even when they aren't supposed to!) We also try to promote good behaviour and have a star chart for good listening, good sitting, waiting turns etc.

We don't really start bridges with our mainstream rec kids until they reach badge 5 - normally when they are about 5 or 6yrs old. Even our fast track kids don't do bridges until they are 4 yrs old.

Here in GB the gymnasts can't compete until they are about to turn 8, so we tend to spend the early years taking things slowly. Getting confidence up and getting good technique. Pre-school is all about fundamentals of all sports and as I said before, balance, agility and co-ordination.

My 3yo ds is doing pretty much exactly what moimoi said, although he's starting to learn some of the 4-5yo things she listed.

Mostly though he just has a lot of fun!!

He makes me laugh - he tries to keep up with his sisters and I'll often hear him yelling "HEY, WATCH MY KICKOVER!" as he does a forward roll..... or "WATCH MY HANDSTAND!" as he does - yes - a forward roll. He's VERY good at forward rolls, hahahaha, and apparently they can sub for anything. ;)

haha thats a boy thing. I love it!

My daughter is five and they are working on:

Floor - Back bend kickovers, back handsprings, front limbers,

Bars - mill circle, pull overs, back hip circles, casting

Beam - I don't really remember what they are doing on the beam, I think they are doing cartwheels off and cartwells on the little beam

Vault - flatbacks
Hope this helps!

Peanut just does floor work for now, but he's three and has been working on forward rolls, forward rolls to straddle, donkey kicks, back walkover from a bridge, cartwheels, and handstands. His donkey kicks are so cute, because he bends his knees and kicks them out to straight before standing up. I asked him why he was doing it that way, and he said very matter-of-factly, "Clearly you've never seen a donkey kick. That's what they do!"

I have a 3 1/2 year old in the Preschool 1 class at our gym, though she'll be moving up to Preschool 2 in June. There's also a Preschool 3... I'm not a coach so I'm not as technical as some of you but here's what she's been doing for the last month and a half that she's been in the class:

Floor:
-Handstands by walking feet up the wall
-"Cartwheels" by putting hands on a small mat and hopping feet over
-Hopscotch
-Jumping on and off a small trampoline
-Bear walk
-Crab walk
-They get in position for a bridge but don't push up...just lay on their backs, knees up with hands by their ears.
-Forward rolls, normal and straddle
-Climbing up and down ladder on a wall and a ladder placed at an incline on the floor
-"egg" rolls down the wedge mat (or whatever it's called)

Beam:
They use a long narrow mat that's slightly wider than a normal beam. I don't think they've ever actually walked on a real beam yet, but they've done:
-Walking forward and backwards
-Walk sideways
-Walk dipping their feet to either side
-Lifting leg forward slightly when walking
-Jump off the end

Bars:
-Hang and swing in tuck and straddle positions
-Walk hands from one end to the other while hanging
-Bring feet up to touch bar in pike and straddle position
-Forward roll over bar
-Hold body up with straight arms
-Stand on bottom bar and reach for top bar (with spotting the whole time, of course) and then drop to floor from top bar (these are smaller preschool size UB I think)
-swing from rings in tuck and straddle positions
-Back flip (?) while holding onto rings, touch feet to ground and then forward flip back to normal (with spotting and help)

Vault:
-Run, jump on springboard and jump into pit

My daughter loves it all. I'm sure in the next class they'll be doing much of the same but she'll be with mostly 4 year olds I think.

ZZ is 3 1/2 and in a tot class with other 3 and 4 year olds. Honestly, they are mostly learning to wait their turn :)

Between learning to wait in line, they are working on:

Vault: Run and jump on the board. Straight jumps off with some straddle jumps.

Floor: The teacher usually sets up some sort of a circuit. Sometimes forward and backward rolls down a mat, etc.

Beam: Forward walk, sideways walk, backward walk.

Bars: Pull over, skin the cat, forward roll (Leading I think to a front hip circle).

Trampoline: Straight jump, tuck jump, seat drop, forward roll.

Stretching: ZZ can do the splits all three ways and otherwise, they do not bridge at this age - they do a something called a table instead so that they can do their "bridge" while the older rec kids are working on their bridges.

This is definitely a Tot class so maybe doesn't translate well to the question on what a preschool class is doing. ZZ's gym has groups of 4-5 year olds that are doing some much more advanced skills (some in rec groups and some in developmental groups).

Best Wishes,

ZZ's Mom

Our classes are only 45 minutes long, and we do much like marie83. We tend to work on good behaviour and balance, agility and expecially the boys co ordination. my littlies like to do baskets on the baby rings and bear walking on the baby pbars.

pre-schoolers

Hey

My lil gymmie (Ellie-Ann) has just turned 3...

She is able to demonstrate all basic gymnastics shapes - straight, tuck, straddle, pike etc....
She can forward roll to straddle sit almost perfectly - but finds it hard to stand up without her hands (understandable at 3 lol)
She can bridge and shoulder stand

My little one doesnt actually attend classes as such - I am a coach and I do some freelance work and when I'm coaching she comes too and joins in - so really shes picked all this up from that - thinkin about puttin her into a wee club/class - is 3 too young do you think for a "club"???? I'm scared that someone will try push her too hard and she wont be allowed to enjoy being 3

My 18mnth has been watching her and now loves to show off his straight, tuck and star shape - it is very amusing when he starts in straight shape and puts his head on the floor trying to forward roll lol

is 3 too young do you think for a "club"???? I'm scared that someone will try push her too hard and she wont be allowed to enjoy being 3

Hiya,

At our gym we have a special pre-school class for rising 3's up to school age. When they start school, we take them into our main classes. We don't take them in our main classes before they are at school.
I know a lot of gyms have pre-school classes for babies too, but we haven't ventured into that yet!

So to answer your question, no I don't think 3 is too young to start in a pre-school class, but I'm not sure whether many clubs would take her into their main classes.

I think most pre-school classes are orientated around fun so I don't think she'd end up being pushed :)

Hope that helps!
Marie

is 3 too young do you think for a "club"???? I'm scared that someone will try push her too hard and she wont be allowed to enjoy being 3

No 3 is not too young. Our gym has kids 2-3.5 do a mom and tot class, but at 3 they have the option of going on their own to a 3-4 y/o class. Some kids are ready earlier than others. Either way, both classes are all about fun.

Another question for you all... how are your preschool classes organized? Do they do stations, one person at a time while others sit and wait their turn, or obstacle courses? If this should be a new thread just let me know!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back