WAG What big or major meets have already been postponed or canceled?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
I read a post in another thread saying that many big meets were already canceled for the 2021 season. I figured that I'd start a thread so folks could list those meets in case anyone else is curious.

I'll start with The Gala in Asheville, NC. Not huge, but a pretty big and well attended meet. They have canceled this season's meet.

Wow! As of now it looks like TX Prime, Biles and WOGA plus many others are still on and feels like business as usual in TX. Will be keeping close track of this. I’m worried about the meet fees I’ve already paid and none of our meets explicitly said they guaranteed a refund in the event of cancellation.

Wow! As of now it looks like TX Prime, Biles and WOGA plus many others are still on and feels like business as usual in TX. Will be keeping close track of this. I’m worried about the meet fees I’ve already paid and none of our meets explicitly said they guaranteed a refund in the event of cancellation.
I honestly think by the spring it will still be business as usual, (potentially still with masks depending what is happening.) The compulsory season seems to be going well with the rules they're using. I think HNI just didn't want to take the risk, whether from a public health standpoint or a financial standpoint or something else. And of course you have to make that decision before you start registration.

We only have two regular meets this year (in addition to dual/in house/state), one is always insanely packed, shoulder to shoulder, gymnasts and parents, but our coach says the host is very safety conscious, so we'll see. The other one would not surprise me if they threw all caution to the wind and enforced nothing (but it's in a huge venue, so easier to avoid people if I'm uncomfortable.) We shall see...If we are that far into flu season and our positives are still as low as they are now, then I'll wear a mask and not really worry.

Our previous gym (daughter quit to do dance but I’m still working the meet because I’m a floor director) was usually quite large and crowded as far as spectators. They are a Nastia qualifier this year and going on as scheduled, but abiding my state and local guidelines for capacity as well as distancing, masks, etc..

Some people view me as pessimistic, I feel I'm pragmatic. In that light, I've entered no meets whatsoever or registered my kids with USAG yet. I feel we haven't seen 'Jack' yet and I hope I'm wrong, but I've got to go with my gut on this. I have arraigned a local non sanctioned meet with half a dozen local clubs in hopes we can get it in before the stuff hits the fan.
This year we were poised to have the best State, Regional, and National meets potentially ever and had the rug pulled out from under us like everyone else. We've been struggling (kids, coaches, and parents) ever since. Without competitions it's hard to focus, train hard, push and challenge ourselves, etc. I feel like if we can just have even a local no pressure meet it will hopefully give us all a little boost. No one has been working routines, but who cares. I just told my girls last week and I can't believe the excitement. I had to remind them 'it's not the damn Olympics!' lol I'm just glad to see them excited about something again. :) I'll still keep my eye on the the bigger meets, but I'd be very surprised if they actually come to fruition. We'll see.

Some people view me as pessimistic, I feel I'm pragmatic. In that light, I've entered no meets whatsoever or registered my kids with USAG yet. I feel we haven't seen 'Jack' yet and I hope I'm wrong, but I've got to go with my gut on this. I have arraigned a local non sanctioned meet with half a dozen local clubs in hopes we can get it in before the stuff hits the fan.
This year we were poised to have the best State, Regional, and National meets potentially ever and had the rug pulled out from under us like everyone else. We've been struggling (kids, coaches, and parents) ever since. Without competitions it's hard to focus, train hard, push and challenge ourselves, etc. I feel like if we can just have even a local no pressure meet it will hopefully give us all a little boost. No one has been working routines, but who cares. I just told my girls last week and I can't believe the excitement. I had to remind them 'it's not the damn Olympics!' lol I'm just glad to see them excited about something again. :) I'll still keep my eye on the the bigger meets, but I'd be very surprised if they actually come to fruition. We'll see.
Good luck to you and your kids, Gymsanity! This is about where I am, too. Was so excited for last season! I am just judging now, but am so looking forward to the few intrasquads I have scheduled. Can‘t wait to see kids in action, even if it’s only me, at a gym, with one team!

The problem with not registering is that with lower capacity, meets are filling very quickly. Our meet is full, and I know of a gym that waited and too long and now 3 meets they wanted to attend are full, and they are having a hard time finding others. So, if there is a season in our region, those that waited too late will have a hard time competing.

The problem with not registering is that with lower capacity, meets are filling very quickly. Our meet is full, and I know of a gym that waited and too long and now 3 meets they wanted to attend are full, and they are having a hard time finding others. So, if there is a season in our region, those that waited too late will have a hard time competing.
It's a gamble for sure, but unless they specify (and not all do) that they will give a prompt and full refund for any Corona related absences then it's an absolute 'no way.' We got suckered once and that was one time too many, but I do understand and appreciate what you are saying.

It's a gamble for sure, but unless they specify (and not all do) that they will give a prompt and full refund for any Corona related absences then it's an absolute 'no way.' We got suckered once and that was one time too many, but I do understand and appreciate what you are saying.
I completely understand that, too. It’s a hard thing for sure. I know our meet will offer full refunds for Covid related reasons up to a certain date, which is about a month before the meet, I think.

We have a couple of big meets that fill up every year, but for our local meets I don't think it is an issue. We have decent competition locally, so for us I don't think it will matter too much.

At this point, our gym has not required us to register with USAG and we have heard nothing about the competition season. Compulsory season has started so I think we will have meets, but no idea of what they will look like. Our state has more restrictions than some, so I think they are waiting to make decisions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back