What conditioning do you normally do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Spin off thread "gaining strength"

Thought i would start a thread asking what you normally do in terms of strength and conditioning each training session

Normally we do:

Lower Body:
Box Jumps (2 sets of 1 min and we must get over 55 in a minute or we do another set)
Step down front saults (on a small box (about 15cm high and step down and front sault onto crash mat)
Standing back tucks (level 6+ only)
Rows of tension jumps, tuck jumps, tuck jump hopping, jump series (straight jump tuck jump straddle jump connected, tuck jump, wolf jump pick jump connected) Pistols (standing on beam with one leg and bending knee fully and standing back up)
Tuck jumps on crash mat 1 min

Upper Body:
2x2 rope climbs with no legs
2 x 15 chin ups
2 x 45 second chin up hold
6 x rows of p-bar walking
2 x 10 casts

Mid body:
30 back extensions +30 second hold
2x25 cliff tops (sit ups with someone holding your legs on a box)
3x15 leg lifts

Tummy set
20 push ups
5 presses (or press attempts)
Dish - 1 min (30 secs arms by ears)
20 dish rocks
20 vsnaps
20 swimming kicks
20 scissor kicks
1 min side plank
1 min plank
30 second superman
15 superman rocks
20 push ups
1 min other side plank
20 Vsnaps
10 candle stick lower downs
30 crunches
30 seconds dish

Then for Fitness we do Animal runs where we do rows of floor that are timed (must finish in 7 min 15 sec)
Gorilla runs x 4 (1 is a single lap of floor i.e. not back)
Bear running forwards and backwards x 2 (4 in total)
worm running x 2
Worm running backwards x 2
Monkey with a broken leg forward and backward on both legs x 2 (i.e. 8 in total)
Water boatman forwards and backwards x 2 (4 in total)
Cat springs x 2
Crab walking x 2
Duck walking x 2
Sumo squats x 2
Seal walking x 2

This is done every training session and takes about 1hr 45 mins out of a 3hr training

This eases off leading up to comp.

we are level 5's and 6's

So what do you do?

It varies if it's WAG or MAG and how many days. 1h45m out of 3h simply means not enough event time. Dumb. Strength and Conditioning is important but needs to be within reason. And it's definitely not the same stuff every day.

Ours varies by the season - more during the summer/off-season, and less leading up to competition, when we're just maintaining. During the school year we do about 45 minutes per weekday practice and 1 hr on Saturday: about 3.25 hrs total per week. During the off-season we do about an hour per practice, plus a lot of strength-type drills for bars. Strictly strength is about 5 hrs/week.

Thats what i thought with our strength is that it takes way too much event time but it seems to be paying off (all level 5s placed at state) and not going to lie, it definitely means I look good for summer!

Wish we had the time to condition more! I'd love to, but we only have an 1 hr and 45 min. practice so we condition/stretch for 30 min. So we have enough time for each event.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back