WAG what constitutes a new skill? (in terms of the code)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

leotardmakermum

Proud Parent
What is a new skill? When a new skill gets added to the code, how is it decided that it is a new skill?

I realise there are skills that we can expect people will start to attempt (e.g. triple twisting things) that just haven't actually been done or done in competition yet. They are obviously new skills.

Are skills ever named differently for men's and women's gymnastics? For example, there are skills that men do, that women have yet to do. When women do them can it get named as a new skill? What if they do it on a new apparatus which men don't do it on? e.g. a P bars skill, done on the beam. An example might be Peng Peng Lee doing those scissory things as a beam mount. (sorry for the really bad description - I have no idea what they're called!)

What if it is a new progression? By this I mean taking an existing "skill" such as round off back handspring and adding a particular leap to the end of it. Or is that just connecting two skills?

What constitutes a new skill?

New skills are added to the JO COP if they are successfully performed at JO nationals and are not in the code already. New skills are added to the FIG COP if they are successfully performed at Worlds. When gymnasts do new skills before they are in the respective COPs, judges assign value to them based on progressions surrounding the skills or by comparing them to other skills. Skills are named by the technical elements of the skill and by the gymnast's last name.

Thanks LemonLime. I get all that, but how do FIG decide if the skill is actually new and therefore worthy of being named and added?

Thanks LemonLime. I get all that, but how do FIG decide if the skill is actually new and therefore worthy of being named and added?

If the skill was performed properly and is an additional step above (extra 1/2, grip change, extra flip), it is eligible for the FIG COP. The FIG COP has very limited skills however, unlike JO, and it's rare that a completely original element will receive inclusion in the FIG COP. Of the recent ones I can remember, all were advancements or derivatives of skills already included in the code.

If the skill was performed properly and is an additional step above (extra 1/2, grip change, extra flip), it is eligible for the FIG COP. The FIG COP has very limited skills however, unlike JO, and it's rare that a completely original element will receive inclusion in the FIG COP. Of the recent ones I can remember, all were advancements or derivatives of skills already included in the code.
Here are the 2011 new skills, including Peng's original flair mount:
http://www.gymnastike.org/article/9105-New-Skills-added-to-the-2011-WAG-Code-of-Points

New skills are added to the JO COP if they are successfully performed at JO nationals and are not in the code already. New skills are added to the FIG COP if they are successfully performed at Worlds. When gymnasts do new skills before they are in the respective COPs, judges assign value to them based on progressions surrounding the skills or by comparing them to other skills. Skills are named by the technical elements of the skill and by the gymnast's last name.
Or olympics.

So did the Lee get added because she was the first woman to do it, or because she was the first to do it on beam? Maybe a moot point seeing beam is a women's apparatus...

Lemonlime, I was more interested in the FIG code of points simply because the JO code of points doesn't apply to us here in Australia. But it is interesting that they are different. Thanks.

The FIG COP has very limited skills however, unlike JO

That's interesting - you're saying there are a lot more skills included in JO? I like the idea of having lots of interesting skills to choose from. In NZ our STEPs system is based on FIG. I heard that some skills were recently removed from the FIG COP, e.g. stag leap. I think it is sad when skills get removed, unless it is for safety reasons.

Do they have to be senior competitions, or do junior competitons such as youth olympics count? I'm thinking the answer to this is no. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back