Parents What do you consider to be a good score?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When my daughter was in L3-L8 we thought scores of 9.5 and above were good and a 38 AA. We were definitely disappointed with anything under 37. At L9 it became a lot more difficult and an 8.5 was an good score on bars for her. This year for L10, we are just hoping she survives and hopefully competes all event. It's all relative, what some people think are good scores aren't good to others. Not all gymnasts practice the same number of hours, have the same natural ability or coaches with same ability. At this point for my daughter, a successful meet has nothing to do with the score, but how happy she is at the end of the meet and if she had a good time. I used to think that she couldn't have a good meet without good scores, but that definitely is not the case.

Wow I feel like everyone’s answers are super high. My daughter is training level 7 and has only scored a 36+ twice, only gotten a 9.5 on an event once. I would say a 34 for her is a decent score, 35 good and 36 is a great meet. She’s hardly ever on the podium for floor, beam, or all around but medals more often than not on bars and vault. We’re happy with where she’s at I think expecting 9.5s is to much we actually switched gyms with that being one of the reasons.

My daughter personally expects to score over. 9.5 for bars and is happy with anything over an 8.5 for beam because it means she didn’t fall. Good scores are all relative :) her gym thinks the scores our gymnasts produce are great (generally all mid-high 37s, depending on if you had a bad day) but then they know there’s gyms that push that 38+ that our girls don’t beat out

“Good score” threads always bring out lots of opinions. As it is based on numerical value I would say a 9 and above shows proficiency at a given level/event.

That being said the thought that getting below a 9 is unacceptable or the gymnast should.not be competing at a given level please see Simone Biles JO scores, glance at bars. Don’t think anyone here can argue she an accomplished gymnast .....;)

Attachments

• 0F382EBE-2B42-4622-9050-E1EB7709EB0B.png
    0F382EBE-2B42-4622-9050-E1EB7709EB0B.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 553
So she didn’t have a 10 start value? Does that land on the coaching for not having her ready or someone pushing her to do that level?
All I’m simply trying to say is that if you have a 10 start value and you get a 8 that means your getting deductions from somewhere (form or a fall) and that falls on coach’s don’t get mad at me get mad at them
I agree with you that at your program or another top tier program, if the child isn't making 9s, there were probably mistakes made. I really don't want to knock our coaches because they do their best, and we are not at a top tier gym like your daughter. Our coach has a different philosophy. He started her off on bars with the pak without the connection bonus with the plan of working her up to adding the connection. I don't think this is totally abnormal. So no, she would not have had a 10.0 SV, but I don't think it was any lower than 9.5. I can't even remember. I was thrilled she didn't kill herself. Now would I have been happy with this bars score on level 4? No. We were also at a different gym through level 7 where 9.5s and higher WERE the norm. I do not ever want to live with that level of stress and anxiety ever again--I am also talking about for me. Not just my kids. But this is my personal preference. 9.5s and higher are exceptional scores. In my mind, that's like an A+. A "good" score to me would be 9.0 and higher. On the level 6 and 7 vault, we were at quite a few meets where a 9.0 won the whole session. The vault scores were LOW. They do look higher now that judges have gotten used to judging them.
I don't really know what sort of gym the OP's kid is at or even what level she is on, but I'm not sure it is terribly helpful to set the bar at a 9.5 and higher without context.

Obviously, from the replies above, it is all relative to your kid's goals and how judging goes in your area. My kid has previously won vault with an 8.9 but in the same meet placed 9th on floor with a 9.2. So tough to say what is "good."

At our gym, the kids are required to get a 36 AA to even try for the next level (there have been exceptions, but I don't know how that is decided), so I would venture to guess that our gym (a pretty reputable gym, non-elite) considers a 36 "good enough."

I'd say through level 6, my girl aimed to get anything over a 9 on every event, with a goal of getting a little higher (9.3-9.5) on bars and vault, which were her stronger events. Level 7/8 she again aims for 9 or higher on every event, but really tries for a 37 AA - which likely would have been pretty attainable except for the crazy range of scores on her Yurchenko timer (literally 8.05 to 9.2 in one season). She has never even come close to a 38 and has only hit 37 AA or 9.5 on an event on occasion, but I'd say her scores are "good."

I’ll say we were at a really large meet recently, and the highest score for a level 4 vault was a 9.05 - so...relative scoring, same kid got a 9.85 on floor, both where 1st place scores. Vault seems like the biggest crapshoot of scoring

Such an interesting thread. I enjoy seeing everyone's perspective. To the original poster, I think you can find the best answer by looking at what scores are placing/winning at the meets you are in. And of course for your own daughter - it depends where she is in her gymnastics journey. We celebrate personal bests on any event at a given meet. You can always feel good about getting a personal best!

Our gym is not as focused on scores for moving to the next level. It is based more on whether a gymnast has obtained the necessary skills to safely compete at the next level. (Our gym years has had one girl per year going to NCAA gymnastics, but is not one of the top gyms. Lower hours and unfortunately insufficient coaching capacity at the higher levels.) But, this is the right fit for my daughter.

And I will echo what some others have said about the higher levels. It gets much harder at L9 to start from a 10. My daughter typically scored in the 36s at Level 8. But I felt that anything above 35 was a good score as that is what you need to qualify for Regionals. Without COVID I think my daughter would have been starting Level 9 with 10.0 start values. But our gym came back VERY VERY SLOWLY after rejoining the gym in an abundance of caution to prevent injuries (I think it was 2 months before my daughter was allowed to do a back handspring on floor, let alone beam!!!) Between that and a mental block she's developed on beam, I think it will take awhile before she is starting from 10.0 value routines!! It will be an interesting year.

I’m sure your goal was innocent, really, but this kind of question really opens a can of worms- and I don’t mean solely on this discussion. You were doing great before just enjoying your kids gymnastics without knowing if they were “good” or not based on other’s opinions. I don’t see where the good comes in finding out they’re not that good when they’re having a grand old time- or confirming they’re amazing.

By accounts here my kid should’ve left this sport as soon as she started, head hung in shame. But it doesn’t work that way. She had a good day with both 32s and 36s and never has nor will see a 37 in her life. She’s had some teammates who regularly topped 38s. She outlasted them all in the sport. Which isn’t really the point but underlines the point- she has fun in gym every single time she’s there, she loves it fully irregardless of scores.. that’s what matters. Some of the best scoring girls did not.

From a practical perspective, she’s had some first place finishes and a number of top three, but she’s never had the kind of scores required to be acceptable here. For your kid, if you just need a general gage for your own curiosity, the standing at local meets should tell the tale. If an 8.5 wins an event- and I’ve seen it happen- then an 8.5 was surely a good showing on that day. If last place was a 9.0- and I’ve seen that too, maybe that 9.0 isn’t so relatively hot. It’s all relative in gymnastics, and not to a 10.0 as you’d think, because those are (and should be) exceedingly rare.

“Good score” threads always bring out lots of opinions. As it is based on numerical value I would say a 9 and above shows proficiency at a given level/event.

That being said the thought that getting below a 9 is unacceptable or the gymnast should.not be competing at a given level please see Simone Biles JO scores, glance at bars. Don’t think anyone here can argue she an accomplished gymnast .....

My daughter old coach when she was a level 6 told her that. “The higher the level get use to seeing 8s instead of a 9”. I believe it’s all in the coaching, daughter level 7 & 8 still averaging a 9.5 and a 38 AA. Was supposed to skip 9 and go 10 this year so we will see, but levels 7-10 shouldn’t be getting a 8 on anything unless it’s falls and a all around bad day
Skipping level 9 is a big mistake in my opinion.. again these are opinions and discussion boards so just discussing this particular comment about skipping 9.. To me level 9 is a must! I would say hands down one of the hardest levels in judging and skill jumps. I know of a gym that does not do level 9 for that reason alone. In fact we were on a zoom meeting with Tom Forster and he owns a gym and he said ALL of his level 9's do it for 2 years no matter what! So if that doesn't say something about the importance of doing that level i don't know what does.

Skipping level 9 is a big mistake in my opinion.. again these are opinions and discussion boards so just discussing this particular comment about skipping 9.. To me level 9 is a must! I would say hands down one of the hardest levels in judging and skill jumps. I know of a gym that does not do level 9 for that reason alone. In fact we were on a zoom meeting with Tom Forster and he owns a gym and he said ALL of his level 9's do it for 2 years no matter what! So if that doesn't say something about the importance of doing that level i don't know what does.
Well it’s a reason why she was skipping it.
1) she was a level 8 when she qualified for hopes classics (2020 before COVID) and every event was level 10 skills.

2) when we had a schedule this year it was only two in house meets and two qualifiers (for the ones who didn’t qualify) so it didn’t make sense for being down all her routines because you can’t compete everything for level 9

3) prob won’t be season anyway due to COVID

1) she was a level 8 when she qualified for hopes classics (2020 before COVID) and every event was level 10 skills.

2) when we had a schedule this year it was only two in house meets and two qualifiers (for the ones who didn’t qualify) so it didn’t make sense for being down all her routines because you can’t compete everything for level 9

Has she already scored out of 9? I can those being valid reasons....

I think this question is two fold. There is so much variation from meet to meet. One meet season, DD had her best beam routine of the season at state and yet that was her lowest score on beam all season. Last spring, she took first on bars with a 9.0, which I think was the second highest bar score of the session, but the beam scores were incredibly high. It’s all subjective based on the region and the judges on that particular day.

I think the better question is what is a good score for my daughter? Of course the sole focus shouldn’t be on scores, but it is a part of progress. A jump from an 8 to a 9 indicates improvement and growth.

My DD suffers from a mild form of femoral anteversion, which means that she will never be able to fully straighten her legs, which means that she will always face deductions for that. The high 9s may never be possible for her, but she knows and accepts that. She will always be at a disadvantage, but that hasn’t stopped her from having her own levels of success and even getting to stand on top of the podium a few times.

At the beginning of the season, she makes a goal to into the 9s in every event by the end of the season, and so far she has been successful in that. Mid 9s are a good score for her. And when you put the focus on what is a good score for your DD and not worry about the others, it takes a lot of pressure off and puts the focus on their journey. Comparison is the thief of joy.

Are you sure that is accurate about Hopes? I could be completely wrong, but many of the HOPES skills are more closely aligned with level 9, and not 10. For instance, I could swear I saw some HOPES kids competing piked yurchenkos?? Maybe not across the board, and again, I might be wrong. Junior Elite is a whole different story.
Same @Flicfliclay. Our gym usually has the younger girls spend two years on 9 because the jump for 8 to 9 is HUGE. If it is a kid approaching high school, our coach might try to move them to 10 after a year.
I have heard that the scoring on 10 is actually easier than 9. I think that the routine construction might be easier. It gets very complicated on 9 with the bonus connections and start values.

Are you sure that is accurate about Hopes? I could be completely wrong, but many of the HOPES skills are more closely aligned with level 9, and not 10. For instance, I could swear I saw some HOPES kids competing piked yurchenkos?? Maybe not across the board, and again, I might be wrong. Junior Elite is a whole different story.
Same @Flicfliclay. Our gym usually has the younger girls spend two years on 9 because the jump for 8 to 9 is HUGE. If it is a kid approaching high school, our coach might try to move them to 10 after a year.
I have heard that the scoring on 10 is actually easier than 9. I think that the routine construction might be easier. It gets very complicated on 9 with the bonus connections and start values.
Last season level 8 yes she was a level 8 (age 10-11 bracket) she did a Piked yurchenko for the qualifier, but for the classics and championships(if she made it) she was doing a full. This season the age bracket moved to 11-12 from what I was told she was trying to go for the jr elite score 51 when she got a 48.2 before. She was still going to compete hopes but just trying to get the score

I find these conversations interesting too. I agree with most everyone that a good score is definitely relative. Depends so much on the region, meet, etc. I think if you asked my daughter what she considered a good score/aa she would agree with @Ty’s Dad.. a 9.5+ on an event and a 38 AA. That certainly doesn't mean that she always scored that high or that she was always disappointed to score lower. But I think that those numbers she and I would definitely consider good scores.

But I do agree with the others that things change as they go up in levels. She's a level 9 this year, assuming she gets to compete. She has a 10.0 start value on every event except vault (she is still working on her layout yurchenko, so probably will be competing a pike at least at the beginning). However, I have heard horror stories about low scores in level 9 and I have seen what some of the really talented girls at her gym have scored at some level 9 meets, so I definitely have lower expectations for scores for this season. I think it is very easy to score 8s in level 9, even with a 10.0 start value. One little mistake and you can lose start value points, bonus points and get skill deductions. Ouch. I am very interested to see what her and her teammates scores will look like this season. I just hope that we can attend at least a couple of meets.

I find these conversations interesting too. I agree with most everyone that a good score is definitely relative. Depends so much on the region, meet, etc. I think if you asked my daughter what she considered a good score/aa she would agree with @Ty’s Dad.. a 9.5+ on an event and a 38 AA. That certainly doesn't mean that she always scored that high or that she was always disappointed to score lower. But I think that those numbers she and I would definitely consider good scores.

But I do agree with the others that things change as they go up in levels. She's a level 9 this year, assuming she gets to compete. She has a 10.0 start value on every event except vault (she is still working on her layout yurchenko, so probably will be competing a pike at least at the beginning). However, I have heard horror stories about low scores in level 9 and I have seen what some of the really talented girls at her gym have scored at some level 9 meets, so I definitely have lower expectations for scores for this season. I think it is very easy to score 8s in level 9, even with a 10.0 start value. One little mistake and you can lose start value points, bonus points and get skill deductions. Ouch. I am very interested to see what her and her teammates scores will look like this season. I just hope that we can attend at least a couple of meets.
I think most people would be ok with a 36, once you start hitting 37's and 38's you're looking at titles at states, regionals and up. By the time you're at level 10, a low 9 may not be as good as it was in compulsory and you'd need another stronger event to get the score up. Level 9 was definitely a tough transition, by the time a gymnast is a multiple level 10, you ideally want the 37+ if college is the goal. I think the difference of opinion in the discussion is largely based on the level of gymnast and future goals.

To the OP, I get that you are looking for a general gauge of what is considered "respectable". As you see, this encompasses so many variables that it is impossible to answer. The best gauge is whether your child is happy with their progress across meets and levels, whether they are generally within the same skill/score range as her teammates, and whether you are happy with your gym and coaches. That's really all that matters. It took me a long time to figure that out though. This is coming from a mom whose dd competed for 10 years including multiple L10 seasons and whose scores ranged from mid 7s-mid 9s and 33s-36s, pretty much at every level. I obsessed over scores for a long time and then one day came to the realization that it didn't matter. How she perceived her experience at the meet was what mattered. Did she stay on the beam, did she overcome her nerves, did she support her teammates (when she had them - she often competed alone in the later years). In those upper levels especially for early season, my gauge of a good meet was that she competed every event walked away with no additional injuries...no joke.

And I am not saying that you are obsessing, simply by asking a general question. It's natural progression as a gym parent. But it is so easy to go down THAT road of caring too much about scores and comparing your gymnast/gym to others. In the end, the only thing that matters is whether your gym is a right fit and whether your child feels comfortable with their level of progression and success.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back