MAG What do you do for school to help with the crazy gymnastics schedule?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Mom2twingymnasts

Proud Parent
I'm trying to figure out school options for my son. He currently attends a public school but takes 2 classes online. He trains in the mornings on Tuesday and Thursday so his 2 morning classes on those days are online courses. He struggles to keep up with it all. The online classes move to the bottom of the priority list because the in class homework/test don't have the flexibility in schedule.

He wants to move to all online classes next semester as he believes it would be easier if all were online. I'm just not crazy about that idea. Please share what you are doing and how it is work. I need to quickly make a decision.

Thank you!!

Following.

Right now, D is a freshman, and is able to keep up. Next year practice will either be 2-6 or 1:30-6:30 daily, so he will need 2 periods off.

He does take at least one class each summer, and we finally figured out how to get credit for gymnastics for PE so that is helping. Homeschooling isn't a good option, but I guess we will see, especially if he does JE next year as he wants to.

Are there any co-ops in your area that meet only once or twice a week per class? The majority of the work is usually outside of class.

I found ours through our state homeschool webpage. There is usually a page dedicated to co-ops or at least yahoo or FB groups that contain info on classes. Do you mind if I PM you?

And share waht you can here......we will be facing it soon.

Another idea is to dual enroll in your local Community College for basic classes. They usually only meet once or twice per week. There is often an age limit though, our's is 16 here. The work load may be a bit more but the in class time is limited.

Following.

Right now, D is a freshman, and is able to keep up. Next year practice will either be 2-6 or 1:30-6:30 daily, so he will need 2 periods off.

He does take at least one class each summer, and we finally figured out how to get credit for gymnastics for PE so that is helping. Homeschooling isn't a good option, but I guess we will see, especially if he does JE next year as he wants to.

Wow! I'm surprised that your gym would expect that the kids would rearrange their school schedule, rather than the other way around. My son always practiced some variation of 5 to 9, 4 to 8 or 6 to 9 depending on the day. School got out around 3 and we were never able to get a PE waiver. Junior year of high school was really rough with many nights where he was still doing homework after midnight, but he made it through. Now that it's past, I think he's glad he had some sense of being a regular high school student.

Wish I had some good ideas to help. But it's a challenge for everyone.

My son has a psychomotor gifted designation, which gives us some leeway in scheduling. In order to get where he wants to be, he needs more hours, but 5-10 is just too late :) So this is the compromise. So far we have been really lucky in the district recognizing this and being willing to work with him. He is a good student as well, so that definitely helps!

We can't get much flexibility out of the school, but the boys' program director is flexible. There is at least one workout group in the gym every night of the week, and he's there from around 3 to 9 every night. If a guy has to miss practice because of homework, he can come in and work out with another group or work out independently. My son has done this a few times this year and has kind of settled on a practice of getting up extra early to finish off some of his homework when he has a lot. I think we're going to be taking full advantage of the independent workout privilege, especially once he hits 11th grade, which seems to be the worst year here. Can your coach work with you?

I think you want to be a little careful with the community college route. Some CC environments don't work well for high school students because so many of the regular students are disengaged but there's a lot of pressure on faculty to retain them.

My son is doing an all online program. It allows for great flexibility but requires him to manage his time well or he ends up having a lot to do in the end if the semester.

There are some private college prep schools here that go for 2-3 days a week for half days. They require at home but offer both flexibility and a rigorous academic program. Look for a college schedule.

About 1/2 of our optional boys do the home school route and they take online high school. It's a free program offered by one of the area districts. My son just started middle school and home work has been kicking his behind but he doesn't want to do the home school route...partly because he doesn't want to go to gym 30+ hours a week. :) I also think he enjoys school although he'd never admit it!

About 1/2 of our optional boys do the home school route and they take online high school. It's a free program offered by one of the area districts. My son just started middle school and home work has been kicking his behind but he doesn't want to do the home school route...partly because he doesn't want to go to gym 30+ hours a week. :) I also think he enjoys school although he'd never admit it!
Would it be a possibility to homeschool without the homeschool gym program?

My kid is a girl.....but she does the homeschool route with push in for band, computers at her zoned school....once she gets into hs i will re-eval, but for now we are staying out of the middle school drama and hormones. I get how frustrating it is. You want them to have it all. I am lucky in that my kid honestly never was really into the brick and mortar system....at recess she sat and read a book, or went to help the librarian shelve books. She had friends....but just wasnt into it from the social perspective, and homework was done during lunch...she is so much happier now. But yes we will revisit school again highschool. Not sure how it will work. Who knows if she will even bw doing gym still by then!

Following... DS is only in 5th grade now and we managed to get him permission to leave early this year on practice days, which has helped a lot. I am hoping we can do the same next year (6th grade in our county is still elementary school), but I'm looking at options for middle school. Our district offers a free, pretty comprehensive online program for high school if we end up needing that, but middle school is trickier.

What about taking one of his online classes over the summer? DS is only in middle school, but we finished one of his semesters of his online class last summer, so he only had the 2nd semester to complete now. He gets out of PE too, so he leaves 2 periods early. He tends to do all his online class work over the weekend.

Not the most helpful but:
At my school people who train more than 10 hours a week get to come in late and leave early on the days they say that they have to. They are excused from certain subjects (PE, art and social studies I think).

If you are an athlete at the national level, you get the option to not be in a normal class. You do self study at school with teachers just in the school. The people who do this have their own classroom with computers and normal tables.

This is regulated and supported by the Dutch government, although schools don't have to offer this program. My school chose to, the other school in my town chose not to.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back