WAG What do you think about this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I thought coaches and gymnasts could talk with each other - it just has to be initiated by the gymnast. I am with book. This won't change until NCAA or the USAG step in.

I thought coaches and gymnasts could talk with each other - it just has to be initiated by the gymnast. I am with book. This won't change until NCAA or the USAG step in.

You are correct. If the gymnast calls the coach and they happen to answer, they can talk, but the coach cannot return messages, PM's on Facebook, emails, etc. The gymnast can call, email, tweet, message as often as they'd like to. Div II has different rules, so they can communicate more openly. My daughter has been doing all of the above for months.

It's an opinion piece, like an editorial.

Last edited:
I think college committments should be banned until junior year. Verbal committments of freshmen are ridiculous. Unfortunately, no one in the sport has the guts to advocate for change and doing the right thing. It's not unique to gymnastics. To be making committments before you are even allowed to exchange a phone call is basically thumbing your nose at the intention of the rules. The NCAA recruiting rules are not working as intended and need to be changed. Probably not going to happen anytime soon though because everyone looks the other way and perpetuates something that makes no sense for athletes or coaches or teams.

In an issue of International Gymnast magazine a few months ago they interviewed the top college coaches, one of the questions was about what needs to be changed. Almost all of the coaches commented that something needed to be done about recruiting athletes so young, yet they all seem to keep doing it.

I think college committments should be banned until junior year. Verbal committments of freshmen are ridiculous. Unfortunately, no one in the sport has the guts to advocate for change and doing the right thing. It's not unique to gymnastics. To be making committments before you are even allowed to exchange a phone call is basically thumbing your nose at the intention of the rules. The NCAA recruiting rules are not working as intended and need to be changed. Probably not going to happen anytime soon though because everyone looks the other way and perpetuates something that makes no sense for athletes or coaches or teams.

I understand the frustration but I don't think it is "no one has the guts". No one has figured out a solution yet. And the coaches might not agree with the idea of recruiting younger and younger gymnasts, but what are the options. If they don't and the rules aren't changed then they won't have the best gymnasts. If they don't get the best kids then they won't win. And if they don't win then they (the coaches) will be replaced. So I agree the NCAA is going to have to step in, but how does that work?? A verbal commitment is not actually recognized by the NCAA and it is not binding. It is simply a kid saying "I'll except your scholarship offer, but I can't sign until I'm a senior" A kid can commit to Utah and changed their mind and sign with Alabama. The signing their senior year is the binding act. Though I haven't heard of that happening in gymnastics it does regularly happen in other sports.

I disagree, someone (or someones) with power and influence need to be brave enough to advocate for change and fixing the NCAA rules. The path of least resistence is so much easier, though it's not usually the best way and in life sometimes means following the lemings off the cliff.

I don't know anything about DI recruiting as I only talked to coaches for D3 schools but I just wanted to add that I didn't decide where I was going to college until April 29 when the deposit was due May 1.

In 8th grade my biggest decision was what dress to wear to the school dance! I couldn't imagine having to decide where I wanted to go to college as a 14 year old!

Yes. NCAA should make a rule so these early verbal commitments are not possible. I'm not sure what to do about communication because I think particularly in other sports where players are more likely to have a disadvantaged background, being able to communicate with coaches could be a very positive thing. But maybe there needs to be more limits and "scripting" as far as the coaching side if those conversations.

Or USAG could forbid their gymnasts from committing until Junior year... Given USAG is the primary feeder of NCAA gym, this would stop it pretty quickly. I know... wishful thinking...

Yes. NCAA should make a rule so these early verbal commitments are not possible. I'm not sure what to do about communication because I think particularly in other sports where players are more likely to have a disadvantaged background, being able to communicate with coaches could be a very positive thing. But maybe there needs to be more limits and "scripting" as far as the coaching side if those conversations.

Again a verbal commitment is just a kid saying "I'll come to your school", it's kinda hard to legislate what someone says. The NCAA can and possibly should change the rules regarding communication between the college coaches and the students/prospective athletes. Currently a NCAA coach can talk with a prospect no matter the age as long as it is either on the college campus (with expenses paid by the prospect and family) or the phone call is placed by the student. So a NCAA coach can tell the USAG coach "I'd like to talk to Sally" then the USAG coach says "Sally, call coach xxxx at University of yyy". Or "Sally, you might want to go visit University yyy next weekend." Maybe there should be no communication until they are sophomores and then only as it is currently allowed under the NCAA rules. The coaches could contact the USAG coaches and follow the kids progress, discuss potential etc. This would make a verbal commitment not possible before their sophomore year. Gymnastics is rather unique in that 8th and 9th grade girls (and younger) can and do perform at the levels the same or above what is required in college. I can't think of another college sport where you could put an 13 year old up against a collegiate athlete and the younger child compete evenly. It presents an interesting issue for the coaches. As others have said recruiting younger players doesn't only happen in gymnastics, but it seems to be the most extreme in gymnastics. Soccer coaches pursue freshmen and younger players also. So it seems to me the NCAA needs to be the governing body to address the issue.

Of course with the ruling about Northwestern football players being considered employees, non revenue producing sports, like gymnastics might become a thing of the past! And the NCAA might be a thing of the past also.

Gym dog, I just read your post again. You make a great point about the contact from the college coach being a positive influence in some situations. Tough decisions!

That same girls who trained so intensely so young so that they can compete at college level at 13 or 14... They may have a very different body at 18 than they did at 14 with possibly some nagging injuries. And should a fantastic healthy athlete be blocked from a college scholarship if they peak at 16 or 17 because the scholarships were all tied up when the were 14?

ue.

Of course with the ruling about Northwestern football players being considered employees, non revenue producing sports, like gymnastics might become a thing of the past! And the NCAA might be a thing of the past also.

UGA regularly sells over 10,000 tickets, so this is definitely not "non-revenue" sport for them and schools like Alabama, Florida, Utah, UCLA.

Again a verbal commitment is just a kid saying "I'll come to your school".

NCAA can definitely stop the schools from encouraging and recognizing this. Sure, they can't stop Susie from posting on Facebook that she would accept a scholarship from UCLA, but that's not even close to what verbal commitments are nowadays. The coaches and schools have a big role in it, and that can be stopped.

I've clearly gotten way off track for this thread. I think we all agree that the recruiting of younger and younger kids is not a great idea. It will be interesting to see if and how it is addressed.

I just read an interesting explanation of the ruling that explained that public universities are exempted from the National Labor Relations Board. Northwestern is a private University. So this will be in the courts for years and years before it changes much in the NCAA. For the record I think the athletes should be compensated and at the very least be able to accept sponsor money.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back