Parents What do you think makes a gymnast suddenly soar?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Greyhound

Proud Parent
So, I have seen this scenario a number of times and curious about the opinions on this board. There is a gymnast who was good but not outstanding up until level 8. She mostly scored in the 35/36 range and then bam! Right around states she was on fire. She was high 37s, did great at regionals, and is getting skills left and right. I saw this happen two other times where an average or slightly above average gymnast all of a sudden just starts to get skills quickly, score well, and be on top. As far as I know none of these girls train at home, or have many privates. It just seemed to have happened, and one of them even tended to have fear issues and was not the most coachable--the coaches were constantly yelling at her to focus and/or to throw a skill. What do you think makes this sudden shift occur? Maturity? Timing? Conscious effort?

A lot of times those kids were working their butts off to get the 35/36s because they weren't as talented as some of their teammates, so they developed a work ethic that allowed them to take off as a optional. They can and do surpass the kid who earned 37/38s based on sheer talent. If the high scores come easy in compulsories, some very talented kids get lost in optionals because they never developed the necessary work ethic to soar as an optional.

Thanks for that perspective. It makes a lot of sense. My daughter started as a very shy, less confident gymnast with some natural talent. She is now a level 8, and despite not being one of those superstars coming up the levels she works her tail off. The coaches always say she is a hard worker. This past weekend at the season's first meet she took second place in the AA for her age group and 6th overall (out ot 46). She had her highest AA ever. Maybe your theory will be the case for her this season

It's probably maturity and integration. People often forget and yes even us coaches that ALL kids develop at a different speed or pace. Sometimes you will have a kid who is super driven and focused from age 5 with talent and work ethic. They shine right away , but then the others catch up at some point later in the path. It is similar in school with early readers. A lot of kids simply catch up when they are developmentally ready. Some kids don't even begin to focus until age 11 or 12. Visual perception (which is kind of important in gymnastics) doesn't even integrate until ages 9-11. Once a child's brain can coordinate information and there is purposeful intention and desire the kid will become much more skilled.

It's easy to say its work ethic versus talent, but in reality what lazy kid is going to dedicate 25+ hours to a sport that they don't like,? Not many although a few I'm sure. Most kids in upper level optionals have work ethic and talent to varying degrees, contrary to popular belief. Just because a kid takes 500 more turns and gets to an event faster does not make them a harder worker, it's about quality of workmanship. I hear a lot of people say, "I would rather have a gymnast that works hard than talent." Don't be fooled, in this sport you need both plus fearlessness to be successful to level 10. Development is like a foot race, all start a birth, some sprint there while others jog, but they all make it to the finish line, some just quicker than others.
My guess it that your daughter's sensory "integration" of systems just synced and uploaded. Good for her! That is awesome! I'm still waiting on mine to fully integrate, most days her head is still on playing games and Minecraft. I'm looking forward to the day that it all comes in sync.

I have had my share of lazy optionals. Since they pace themselves the entire practice, it's not like they are really working out for 25+ hours/week even if they are physically there that long. They usually make it as far as training 9, but often don't actually compete as 9s.

Reactions: Dka
I agree with the developing work ethic thing. My daughter starts every season scoring very low. She gets her skills, but just barely good enough to compete at the level they have her at, often getting 7s. She hates getting low scores and works her butt off all year to perfect everything. By the end of the season she is scoring 36-37. She has placed every year at state in all-around. She has gotten floor champion the last two years. This year is the first year she didn't have all skills to move up. She was so upset with herself that she had to start the year repeating a level, she was doing extra conditioning at home to increase upper body strength. She is moving up in January, because everything suddenly clicked again. Work ethic, I totally agree.

I agree with the developing work ethic thing. My daughter starts every season scoring very low. She gets her skills, but just barely good enough to compete at the level they have her at, often getting 7s. She hates getting low scores and works her butt off all year to perfect everything. By the end of the season she is scoring 36-37. She has placed every year at state in all-around. She has gotten floor champion the last two years. This year is the first year she didn't have all skills to move up. She was so upset with herself that she had to start the year repeating a level, she was doing extra conditioning at home to increase upper body strength. She is moving up in January, because everything suddenly clicked again. Work ethic, I totally agree.

In her short gymnastics career, my daughter is also showing a pattern of being a slow starter and a strong finisher. She's a young level 4 (7 1/2) that is very small and due to her size, has a bit of fear on bars. Currently score wise she's at the bottom of the level 4 group, but, like last year at level 3, I can see her starting to make a New Year's "skills push". Last year she didn't compete bars until February and she ended up passing up some older kids that topped out AA scores in January. I guess she just takes a bit longer to acquire some skills and confidence. This year she on a similar path and is going to debut bars in January. She's a very hard worker with lots of energy. I'm hoping that the slow n steady ends up working out for her.

Yes, maturity, timing and conscious effort.

Kids track how they track. Some are tortoise, some the hare.

I see it even at the lower levels.

One kid, takes a long time to get a skill but when they do its sharp, clean.....

Another gets the skill quickly zoom zoom zoom and needs work on the detail.

If they stick around they all get to the same place. I have a tortoise.

Yes, maturity, timing and conscious effort.

Kids track how they track. Some are tortoise, some the hare.

I see it even at the lower levels.

One kid, takes a long time to get a skill but when they do its sharp, clean.....

Another gets the skill quickly zoom zoom zoom and needs work on the detail.

If they stick around they all get to the same place. I have a tortoise.
I have a crossbreed. Hah!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back