Off Topic What do you watch for stress relief/laughs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 26368

Gymnastics, and, life in general, can be stressful, right? What are some TV shows/movies/etc. that you watch to zone out and relax? Or, for good old dumb humor? Bonus points if it's something you and the gymnast in your life both enjoy. Parents, 'fess up, I know you actually like some of those "kids shows", LOL.

Some of mine:
*Sports (especially college football and MLB)
*Avatar the Last Airbender (my older brother got me hooked and I got my kids watching it later)
*Dance Moms, but only the first two seasons
*Basically anything on PBS, but definitely Antiques Roadshow, This Old House, Nature, and Nova
*Shows about veterinarians

Gymnastics, and, life in general, can be stressful, right? What are some TV shows/movies/etc. that you watch to zone out and relax? Or, for good old dumb humor? Bonus points if it's something you and the gymnast in your life both enjoy. Parents, 'fess up, I know you actually like some of those "kids shows", LOL.

Some of mine:
*Sports (especially college football and MLB)
*Avatar the Last Airbender (my older brother got me hooked and I got my kids watching it later)
*Dance Moms, but only the first two seasons
*Basically anything on PBS, but definitely Antiques Roadshow, This Old House, Nature, and Nova
*Shows about veterinarians
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Avatar: The Last Airbender. Imo it's the best TV series I've ever seen.

My wife and I are planning a Brendan Frasier movie marathon tonight.

But generally, I'm not much of a TV/Movie person; more of a gamer. If I'm in the mood for something fast and twitchy, I usually hop online for either DotA or Smash Bros Melee with my brother. If I'm in the mood for something more mellow, I'll usually play some single player campaign or other (the Mass Effect trilogy is more or less my gaming comfort food). I have been on a bit of a Civ 4 kick lately as well.

Last edited:
I watch Ted Lasso currently for that- it’s such an amazing and smile-inducing show. In general I will rewatch my favorite show, Doctor Who. Watching something I’m already familiar with is an especially relaxing feeling. I’m at home with the characters and world, in a way. It’s like putting on an old comfy sweater.

We love Avatar in our house we watched it as a family and the kids keep rewatching it. We enjoyed the Kora series as well but it was not as good as the original in my opinion.

If you like Avatar you will probably like the Dragon Prince on Netflix. We watched that as a family too and really enjoyed it ended up watching it all in one day lol.

We also watched the Bureau of Magical Things as a family and it was really fun (its an Aussie based show I believe)

We all enjoyed A Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix--but that's been out awhile so you may have already seen it.

Watched Howls Moving Castle on HBO Max the other night it was fun very different than the book but kids both watched intently (which doesnt always happen)

Oh and if you want to watch something super interesting we watched the 100 foot wave on HBO its a documentary about big wave surfing and holy crap those guys are nuts! It was really interesting to watch though and even the kids enjoyed it (though they wouldnt always watch when me and my husband were watching)

Thought of some others:
*Jeopardy! reruns
*Gravity Falls (the kids stumbled across it years ago and we all still love it)

Note to self: I need to watch more silly stuff

We just re-watched all of the Pitch Perfect movies, all of the Twilight movies, Stick It and are finishing up with Mean Girls either tonight or tomorrow - all were requested by DD who is heading off for her first year in college this weekend. We also watch Big Bang Theory when eating dinner.

If you like Avatar you will probably like the Dragon Prince on Netflix. We watched that as a family too and really enjoyed it ended up watching it all in one day lol.
I tried to get into the Dragon Prince, and it just didn't really reach me.

At any rate, last night my wife and I watched George of the Jungle, which I hadn't seen in at least fifteen years. Man, that movie is so much better than I remember it being, and I remember it being pretty good.

Anyone who knows me, knows I love to travel. I watch a youtuber called Itchy Boots, or Noraly. A Dutch woman, who is a geologist and avid motor biker. I do not even care for bikes, but I care for her adventures. She has a few series up now, and has travelled in some very isolated places, with all kinds of adventures. Very watchable, and an inspiration.

I forgot how much I love cackling at "Nailed It!". DD and I watched a few episodes yesterday - we've seen them all but it's still hilarious and sad LOL.

@bogwoppit Have you watched Sailing Uma's channel on YouTube. Seriously start at step one (Don't buy a Couch) and just watch those two rebuild a boat and sail around the world with it. I love to watch 2 or 3 episodes of them to relax.

I also like another YouTube channel called Meditation Vacation who just tells whispery Meditations or stories (I guess some call it ASMR, but this channel is less weird than that) my kids and I like to relax to that to especially the stories with the background of ocean waves. I can also watch DIY network where they rebuild log cabins, usually off a lake (Cabin Masters) all day for some reason.

I am way too landlocked I guess. Bc apparently I will watch anything with water in it. Lol

@bogwoppit Have you watched Sailing Uma's channel on YouTube. Seriously start at step one (Don't buy a Couch) and just watch those two rebuild a boat and sail around the world with it. I love to watch 2 or 3 episodes of them to relax.

I also like another YouTube channel called Meditation Vacation who just tells whispery Meditations or stories (I guess some call it ASMR, but this channel is less weird than that) my kids and I like to relax to that to especially the stories with the background of ocean waves. I can also watch DIY network where they rebuild log cabins, usually off a lake (Cabin Masters) all day for some reason.

I am way too landlocked I guess. Bc apparently I will watch anything with water in it. Lol

I shall check those out, hubby loves sailing.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Avatar: The Last Airbender. Imo it's the best TV series I've ever seen.

My wife and I are planning a Brendan Frasier movie marathon tonight.
The Mummy is my all time favorite movie. Used to watch it on repeat with my little brother when he was little….he’s 25 now.
We just made the kids watch Encino Man with us for movie night! Love Brendan Fraiser!

We puzzle, play board games, and Josc and I diamond ‘dot’.

Two Doors Down, it’s a scottish sitcom but I imagine the rest of the country can see it on iplayer. (Just ignore the pilot episode). We’ve been rewatching as they’re airing repeats during lockdown, and I’ll be laughing out loud multiple times during every episode.

It is a really good take on life on an average street, I think we can all relate to having an annoying neighbour. Although I wonder how well some of the Scottish parts would translate down south, one of the best episodes is where Gordon’s English parents come up to visit, (episode is called Graham and Sandra, I believe) and they make fun of the English-Scottish divide.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back