What does your gym do about gymnasts CHEATING?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
My gym just pretty much embarrases you, like, "Hannah! That was not 20! Go back and do 30!" What do your coaches do if they catch someone cheating? Do they tell the parents? Ours don't...

If they see a lot of girls cheating, they'll give us all a lecture about it. But we're pretty unsupervised during strength...most of the girls know if they skip things, it's their own downfall. When we aren't strong enough to make our skills, we know we need to work harder, and the coaches will tell us that.

We also have strength testing about every 3 months, so it's pretty embarrassing if your scores get lower or if you're miles behind everyone else. Of course, it's also pretty frustrating to those of us who do all the strength and are still at the bottom of the list...

For our pre-team girls, it just depends. The littlest ones are around 5, and if they "cheat", they usually just get told to go back and start it over, do it right, etc. I can't help but grin at the little ones looking at their coach to see if they are watching, then running a few steps forward (like during bear walks). Depending on how big the "cheat", they get called out on it, and told to start over. If they keep it up, extra conditioning.

If we're doing something like plank holds where the whole group is doing them at once and the coach is watching, if someone drops too early, everyone has to keep going and the coach adds extra time. If it's something where they tell us a bunch of stuff to do (ex. 50 pushups, 50 v-ups, etc) they usually don't watch us, and if girls cheat, then they don't get stronger (most of the girls in my class - not me! :D- do this, and I think they still haven't figured out that you will get skills a lot quicker and easier if you are stronger). My coaches aren't very good at catching people cheating, but I when I tried out for the team, that coach seemed to be good at it. If it looked like someone didn't do enough or finished way before everyone else, she would just say something like, "Did you do all of your pushups?"

If it's something like splits and planks, the coach stops time until she's back up. If it's something else, like bear walks, V-ups, push-ups, ect., they are called out on it and "were just hurting ourselves"

If it's a group thing, then we ALL start over. And keep doing it until it's right. If it's pushups or rockers, it barely goes noticed but if it is, they tell you to go back and do more.

If it's a group thing, like hollow holds, then my coach will wait till the girls all up (the other girls aren't allowed to come down either), then we get 10 seconds added on. Or, if it's a group thing and a lot of girls are cheating, then our coach will make us go up to our indoor running track and run half a mile. Or if it's a personal thing, the girl will have to start over and add 10 to whatever we were doing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back