WAG What exactly is a "baby giant?"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ladybird

Proud Parent
I have tried searching around for this, but what is a "baby giant?" My dd has just recently started doing giants on the strap bar, first with a heavy spot and now somewhat by herself. However, the other day the strap bar was attached to the low bar and she and her training group were doing them with bent legs. Is this a baby giant? I hear people throw around this term and I just want to be able to contribute to the conversation without sounding stupid!

for us a baby giant is a cast, swing and then pike over the bar at the top, otherwise known as a 3/4 giant

Here is a video of a baby giant from youtube. It is also in the new L5 (old L6) routine

no. this is NOT a baby giant. that is a back pullover.

when their body circles over the top of the bar, they next shift their wrists on top of the bar while their body is at the top of the swing.

the position they end in looks like a push up position or cast position. this position is called clear support. clear means that their body did NOT touch the bar hence the baby giant swing. :)

Yes, and the bent legs are to help them to stay hollow, so I'm told...

no. the bent legs shorten their body (axis and center of gravity) making it easier to circle around the bar. the natural consequence of this position is a backward roll body position which is of course hollowed. :)

no. the bent legs shorten their body (axis and center of gravity) making it easier to circle around the bar. the natural consequence of this position is a backward roll body position which is of course hollowed. :)

Yes, and the bent legs are to help them to stay hollow, so I'm told...
I should know by now there is a reason for everything! All the girls in her training group are between 4'2" and 4'4" and I just thought this was a creative way for them to practice their giants. And I naively thought since it was on the low bar, it was a "baby" giant!

I should know by now there is a reason for everything! All the girls in her training group are between 4'2" and 4'4" and I just thought this was a creative way for them to practice their giants. And I naively thought since it was on the low bar, it was a "baby" giant!
Apparently I was wrong- see Dunno's reply above! :)

that's not a baby giant either. :)

Dunno a 3/4 giant is also called a baby giant in the UK. Honest! The baby giant you refer to where they go clear over the bar is sometimes called a mini giant and I have also heard it called a baby giant over.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back