WAG What happens if...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
A session of a state meet is canceled due to weather. Not the whole meet, just one session. Don’t ask why only one session because it doesn’t really make sense to me either. Has this ever happened to anyone? Would they squeeze the girls in some other meet/session? Would it just be so sorry, too bad, no state meet for you? What would happen with team awards if a whole session of girls is left out? I’m already figuring we would lose all the money- meet fee, coaches fee, the hotel we are already sleeping in, travel to the meet.. but if they squeeze them in elsewhere would they charge us again? This really stinks.

Not states, but this just happened to is at a regular meet. The gym lost power, and cancelled the Friday night sessions and then too kit session by session on Saturday. YDD was cancelled. She was given the option of competing in a later session, or waiting a week and competing when the gym brought everyone in who had been cancelled. Hopefully they can squeeze you guys in!

12+ years as a competitive gym parent and I have never heard of this happening! I certainly hope and would expect that they can reschedule the canceled session!...and NO! you should NOT be charged again!!!

The meet went on but it was *imo* a **** show. Just a mess. They moved the start time up twice and then started earlier still. The whole thing felt rushed and they made an announcement *while people were competing* that they decided not to do awards. While I am complaining.. and I’ve never said this about this DD before.. but she was underscored on an event.. and it dropped her out of the top 3 AA and on that event. So we are done.. no medals were had by anyone.. they made some announcement about it, but no one could hear it clearly. Sigh.

But.. she placed second on two of events and fifth on two events and fourth in the AA. Just don’t have the medals to show for it.

This doesn't make sense at all to me! Is there a big storm heading your way? I can't understand why they'd rush a session through like that, the poor gymnasts, coaches, and judges, it sounds like an extremely stressful experience for all involved.

Is it legal not to give awards? I am just curious. Maybe someone out there knows?
They’re not withholding them.. they can be picked up tomorrow (maybe- if they don’t cancel tomorrow due to the storm), or they’ll be mailed back to the gyms. It definitely has a different feel to it than getting them in a ceremony after competing.

I’ve always thought it’s important to admit when you’re wrong, so here ya go. I’ve been told that DD was overscored on the event that we all saw underscored. Live and learn..

I got the update email about that state meet this morning and my thought was, "Uh oh, this is going to be a mess." It's really unfortunate it had to work out that way. I would think it would have been easier to split the age groups up and add 1 or 2 to each session tomorrow. It would make the meet slightly longer, but better than racing the kids through. You know, Senior A will join session 5, Senior B session 6, etc. I guess it was just a scenario they were totally unprepared for. And with it being in the midst of state meet season, I'm not sure pushing the meet back to another weekend would have been an option.
But it is frustrating that the kids didn't get their awards, it is the state meet and that's a big deal for most of those kids. What a crummy way to end the season.

I got the update email about that state meet this morning and my thought was, "Uh oh, this is going to be a mess." It's really unfortunate it had to work out that way. I would think it would have been easier to split the age groups up and add 1 or 2 to each session tomorrow. It would make the meet slightly longer, but better than racing the kids through. You know, Senior A will join session 5, Senior B session 6, etc. I guess it was just a scenario they were totally unprepared for. And with it being in the midst of state meet season, I'm not sure pushing the meet back to another weekend would have been an option.
But it is frustrating that the kids didn't get their awards, it is the state meet and that's a big deal for most of those kids. What a crummy way to end the season.
It continues to be a mess and I feel equally bad for all the L7 gymnasts in limbo today.. and that we decided to stay the night (hotel had already been paid for) to get DDs medals today.. and then more limbo. I feel bad for the host gym too.. they must have a lot of upset coaches/judges/parents.. not that they could control the snow, but I will never get why people choose schools for winter meets, knowing full well they have no control over when those schools close. The roads aren’t unsafe and it only snowed for about five hours. For it to have such an effect on the whole meet seems like poor planning to me. In any case, looks like we will be heading home without medals and just wait for them to come in the mail.

Also.. I’ve also been told my DD was underscored. Overscored and underscored- both by capable and trustworthy people who always give it to me straight. Goes to show how arbitrary scoring is, even with a code in black and white.

What a mess, but I’m glad you have your humor about you. I think the scoring issue is a perfect example of gymnastics.

We once had a t and t meet in a terrible Texas ice storm. Down here we don’t get snow, but we get ice maybe once a year and it stops everything as the icy road are not passable.

The meet sent a note that they would let people compete in whatever flight they could get there for, and there would be no medals. Scores would count for mobility and qualifying, but no medals or placements. So we got there and our ds competed dm. When we asked them to put him in the next tramp flight, they refused, as he wasn’t schedule for tramp until the next day. The email about getting there and competing as soon as you make it was only meant for flights on each given day. They were complete jackasses about it.

We ended up leaving and not returning the next day at all. Over half the teams never showed up. It was a mess.

For a sport with winter competition, you would think they’d be better organized.

You always should have a contingency plan....although it’s often hard to accommodate such a large event, there are way to make it less painful for all involved. At the very least, be nice about it. Nice goes a long way.

We go to this particular gyms invitational every year in January and 3ish years ago that was impacted by a massive snow storm. They ended up having to cancel and push back to the next weekend. Fortunately it all worked out and the facility, judges, and most teams were available to make the switch. So with that experience in mind, I would think they would be at least a little better prepared for an act of nature. Although, I guess that is much more of a possibility in January than late March. From the email I got this morning it sounds like there was a power outage in the arena.
The next few weekends are packed with either state meets or invitationals for compulsories and Xcels, so I imagine moving the meet would be nearly impossible. The fact that it's being held in a part of the state where most of the judges need to travel a decent distance to get there doesn't help matters.

It's unfortunate, but an example that in gymnastics, and in life, sh*t happens. I would tell my daughter that she at least got to compete, get her qualifying score to regionals and the medals will come in the mail. Bummer but life goes on. Not to sound cold hearted, but really if that is the biggest stress in life right now I consider it not too bad! Congrats to your daughter on a good state meet performance!

It's unfortunate, but an example that in gymnastics, and in life, sh*t happens. I would tell my daughter that she at least got to compete, get her qualifying score to regionals and the medals will come in the mail. Bummer but life goes on. Not to sound cold hearted, but really if that is the biggest stress in life right now I consider it not too bad! Congrats to your daughter on a good state meet performance!
Agree and disagree. We don’t have regionals here until L8, so this is it for all the girls. They only award top three medals and was 3 age groups so I imagine they could’ve rushed through them. That said, this may be my DDs last meet ever, and it would’ve been the only top she would’ve been on the podium at states. It’s fine and she has moved on but I completely understood her disappointment.

This happen to us about 3 years ago. We woke up to all of the Sunday sessions cancelled. We had really bad weather the night before and the venue flooded, including all of the equipment. :eek: They rescheduled to two weeks after our meet and folded us into the optional states. (we were compulsory at that time) We didn't have to pay a meet fee again but obviously we had to pay for a hotel again but in a different city. I don't know how they got all those additional judges so quickly but it worked out well.

Over here in the UK snow is rarely a problem. This year it has been. A regional comp had to be cancelled earlier in the month and then the roads cleared enough to be safe the night before.
So 2 weeks later we had more snow and the comp was not cancelled. Gymnasts felt pressured into travelling against police advice, with no information from the organisers until after people had left home. It was very unfortunate all around but everyone meant well. The girls that couldn't make it through the snow got to compete the following weekend but missed their chance to qualify for the regional teams for national finals. Still, they're all in one piece and based on recent experience, it will be another 8 years or so before this problem crops up again!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back