NCAA what is my chance of being a college/elite gymnast? (honesty please)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm 13 and I started gymnastics when I had JUST turned 8, and at that time I already was self taught and was about level 3. Fast forward to today and I'm probably like level 8 or 9 but I'm competing xcel platinum and sort of repressing my higher level skills for this competition season. I can do/am training a few level 10/elite skills but idk if I'm good enough. people say I will probably be elite by the time I'm 15 or 16. I feel like you have to be younger I guess? I'll be 14 in the end of may. Another thing is I live in a very very small town and we only have 2 tiny gyms and neither of them are super great (broken equipment, very very very tiny teams, etc.) I'm afraid that my training may not be very good but my parents say that once I'm level 10 we could probably move to a bigger town. Being realistic what would be my chances of being in elite and college gym in the future, seeing as I come from a small town?

Elite: I won't say it's impossible (and is certainly more plausible now than it would have been ten or twenty years ago), but the odds aren't in your favor. Xcel is not designed to prepare kids for elite.

Div 1 NCAA: I'd say this door remains open to you, but if you're in Xcel you should probably try to make the switch to JO sooner rather than later if you can. From what I've heard, Div 1 coaches are generally looking for kids who have been competing several years at L10 by the time they graduate high school.

College club teams, etc: absolutely 100% feasible, without any changes to the track you're currently on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back