Parents What is normal for 'development' squad?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone, my daughter is 5.5 years old and was recently invited to join a tumble development squad (in England). They train once a week for 2 hours.

She loves gym, and I thought that the extra training (she does this in addition to her original rec gymnastics class) would help her to develop skills more quickly and that there might be more consistency in having the same coach every week. So far though she's had various different coaches, all very young and although lovely I'm pretty sure not all are qualified coaches. There's lot of bunny hops and forward rolls a bit of conditioning and some handstands and cartwheels, but doesn't seem to be any correction on how they are doing things or suggestions for how to improve. I feel as though she's actually learning more from the rec sessions!

Am I expecting too much and this is normal for a development group for her age? I'm not a gymnast so maybe there is subtle learning going on that I'm missing?! Would be interested to know what sort of thing other kids of the age get upto in development/ pre squad type groups.

Thanks!

My 6yo is in a WAG foundation squad. They do 6hrs a week (3hrsx2) and there is a lot of conditioning and stretching going on. They seem to really be working on perfecting basics with increasing amounts of skills starting to appear as they go along.

Thanks Gymbletot that's interesting. I'm not sure I've seen any attempt to perfect anything just yet I know that the hours step up considerably with us once they reach 7 years old, I've seen the older class and there seems to be much more focus on form and improvement - I just wish there was a little more of that with the younger group!

I aim to have all my little ones at a development level. It’s still early on in their training and we don’t want to close doors for any of them.

Things I have then work on are
Core gymnastics shapes
Strength
Flexibility
Technique
Coordination and agility

FLOOR
Forward rolls
Backward rolls
Handstands
Cartwheels
Bridges