WAG What is the point/ positive of TOPS?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rjb123

Proud Parent
Just curious as I have no experience or real knowledge of the program. DD's gym does not participate in it, yet (to my eyes) appears to have a highly successful program. Lots of optional girls, lots of 10's, tons of recruiters in the gym all the time- it looks like pretty much all of the girls go on to college programs (not 100% sure but it does appear that way). So what would be different with a TOPS program? Is it for elite bound kids?

TOPS is an early talent program with multiple uses. Successful TOPs training can indicate a gymnasts ability to master techniques and conditioning that will be used down the road in elite competition. It can also be used to condition an entire group of girls to the highest level, even if they do not choose to participate in testing. TOPs is a tool, but only one of many, to help young gymnasts reach elite level gymnastics later. It is by no means the only road to elite. It does offer young gymnasts exposure to the national training center and coaches, but performance and talent can be seen without going to Texas as a 9 year old:) Coaches who participate can learn a lot about training and conditioning for higher level gymnastics. It's also important to realize that only a portion of gymnasts that participate in TOPs will actually end up elite gymnasts. It's good for what it does, but not the only means to an end.

What does the testing entail? And what do the teams (I saw they have different levels for ages?) mean? Do they follow up with them the national testing is done?

Testing covers physical abilities and skills, this link details that. http://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=11788&prog=h

National testing I understand had some abilities added that weren't at state testing this year, like flex kicks and holds as well as sprinting.

They don't really have different teams for different ages. 7 year olds who do well enough at State testing, may qualify for the Diamond Team, but that's just a way of recognizing them since they don't go to national testing. Each age group tests the same physical abilities but have different expectations, 7 and 8 year olds do 5 straddle press handstands where 9 and 10 year old testers do 10, etc.

Each age groups skills testing does vary, and gets harder each year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back