Parents What is the typical coach to gymnast ratio at your gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It depends on the day. Rec classes are generally 7:1 or better.
For team, it could be as high as 16:1, but if that is the case, it is only one group and there is often a "float" coach that can step in to any of the groups.
Typically though:
Level 3 - 11:1 or better.
Level 4 - 9:1 or better
Level 5 - usually mixed with Level 4 at 15:2
Level 6+ and Xcel - 16:1, but they are rarely all there and 4 are currently out injured, not all gym related... so currently 12:1 or better.

Highest I have seen is 10:1, and that's only for some events. There is usually an extra coach or assistant to help out for at least part of the time. Normally 4-8:1.

for JO we have 4 coaches. one is strictly level 3 and 4 (she's also the head excel coach). one is 4 and 6 and then the HC floats between 4-9 but mostly upper levels. although he has been known to get out on the floor with the 3s to fix the floor routine mistakes. :) the AHC is mostly 7-9 but she also helps out with the 6s. i'm not really sure what our ratio is at any given time though since not everyone practices on the same nights/times. the former gymnast who did our 6 floor routines comes in on most tuesdays to help out too. she's a teacher and i think this is her way of keeping one foot in gymnastics. :)

Ours is really varied because levels often work together and the coaches work with all different levels, but I'd say 1:8 sounds about right.

For team girls (either JO or Xcel) we are usually around 1:7 but it can be as high as 1:10 in the lower levels.

Ours varies widely. Last year for my daughter it was 1-2 coaches for 5 kids (one coach was always with them, the second would help out after her group was done). This year it's 1 coach for 9 kids, with some help for the last half an hour or so from a second coach and occasional help from some of the optional coaches.
Excel probably has 25-30ish girls and maybe 4 coaches?
Rec classes are capped at 1:8.

1:8 is their max and most groups throughout the day are right at that- from rec on up through xcel and jo.
there are also a couple of morning jo groups (TOPS & HOPES) who get 1:4 several times a week.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back